TV writer Raymond Goldstone dies

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks to posters for the Monty article and the SFT link

Some comments

"Hiring her sister Norma to head the show’s writing team, Gloria came up with a plot line twist that sent even the most disinterested soap watchers into a frenzy. She paired the show’s ingenue, Genie Francis, with anti-hero and chronic ne’er-do-well Anthony Geary."

Norma Monty may well have been on the shows writing team at that time but she was not(at least officially)the head writer.I have read many times that Pat Falken Smith was the writer of the Luke/Laura rape.However,I don't think that there was any love lost between Smith and Monty,so perhaps Norma was writing/suggesting stuff that Gloria was using.

I recall an interview with Pat Falken Smith where she stated that Monty criticized(negatively) every outline and script.

Norma officially became head writer in later years.

As for Irving Ellman,he was headwriter following Peggy O'Shea and before Robert J Shaw-two writers who worked on several other soaps.

Irving and Tex Ellman are listed as headwriters for SFT and GH in 77(before Doug Marland took over)

A question - Did Gloria Monty hire Marland or was he already there when she arrived?

Archived