Barack Obama Elected President!

Max

• Members

I personally still think that Clinton will win the nomination (although almost all of my predictions for this race have been wrong) for two reasons: (1) she is absolutely ruthless and will do anything to win and (2) the Clintons have been left for political dead many times before only to make incredible combacks.

As a McCain supporter, I hope that Obama does win the nomination because he will make an easier opponent for the following reasons:

1. In sharp contrast to Clinton, Obama is not ruthless.

2. Obama, unlike Clinton, has a lot of difficulty with hispanic voters. Because of this, Obama is not likely to carry battleground states such as Colorado, Florida, Nevada, and New Mexico in the general election.

3. Because Obama is so unexperienced, McCain will be able to focus the campaign on foreign affairs--the area where McCain is the strongest. (It should be noted that because the surge in troops is successful, the War in Iraq may actually be an issue that helps the Republicans in 2008.) On the other hand, because Clinton is far more knowledgeable than Obama on foreign affairs, she will be able to concentrate on the economy in the general election, which is the issue on which McCain and the Republicans are the most vulnerable.

Even though Obama is the easier opponent for McCain, I still think he will win the general election as well (just by a smaller margin than Clinton). Therefore, if there is going to be a Democratic president next year (as it sure seems there will be), I'd also much rather have Obama win the nomination because he is far more preferable in the Oval Office than she is.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will not vote for McCain in a million years. He wants to turn this nation backwards by nominating justices to overturn Roe v. Wade (a friend of mine in Arizona wrote him a letter about her pro choice views, to which he responded and pretty much called her a "murderer"). There is also the fact that he sucked up to Scarecrow with hugging him just four years ago when Scarecrow smeared him like no other in 2000. He also has no promises to the American people to end this war, which is what most Americans want right now. I only agree with McCain on his views with torture (he is against it, as am I) and stem cell research (we both support it)

If McCain is the next president (which I doubt...he has alienated a lot of the GOP with his devotion to Bush through the hug and his somewhat liberal stances), you can expect the same policies of Scarecrow to be carried out for another four or eight years.

• Members

I saw that and Hillary rightfully called him out on it. Good for her. This just goes to show that he will also do what he has to in order to win, just like people criticize Hillary for "winning at all costs"...the same goes for Obama. I love how she called a spade a spade with saying it was from the "Karl Rove playbook"-truer words have never been spoken.

Here is an interesting read on Obama: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?con...va&aid=8073

Make no mistake about it, if Obama gets the nomination, I will vote for him but my first choice is Hillary.

• Members

I am sure it is nothing new but who knows....he should have addressed it at the debate so that way Hillary could respond to it.

But with him now attacking Hillary on NAFTA and health care, well let's just say Bonnie and Clyde Clinton are going to put an emotional hit out on him ;)

It is also all right for Hillary to change her mind on NAFTA after seeing what it did under Bush's term (Clinton used it to build jobs here, not ship them to Mexico)....sure it can be a dangerous agreement but it may also help deliver jobs.

• Members

The truth about Hillary Clinton in a nutshell. Hopefully the country shall let current trends continue (Obama still winning primaries that is) and hope she does not get into the White House. The country has had enough bad experience with have one political family (The Bush family) in the White House with disasterous results. Hopefully the American voters shall have learned their lesson by now and have it that the Clintons not be brought back to the White House.

• Members

Shame on Tavis Smiley for making a big deal about Obama not going to the BSU. But I think he will shut up now that he and his mother are getting death threats ( which I don't condone). Although his reasons for not attending was sort of a cop out not to attend; these are exactly the people Obama needs to stay away from, Obama is not running to be the African American president he is running to be the American president. He also needs to stay away from the likes of al sharpton, jesse jackson, and jesse jackson jr, don't let those race-baters ruin your campaign. Obama has learned from Jesse Jackson's mistake of running as an AA president. Hillary on the other hand made the right choice to attend, she had nothing to gain by going because Obama won Louisana and she has lost majority of the black vote. It shows that she still cares for the AA communithy and doesn't hold any grudges so to me this was a positive move on her part.

• Members

Obama needs to avoid Sharpton and Jackson because they ultimately would put him and black America against the rest of this country, fair or not. If he has to avoid all hints of his background until vigorously dancing the electric slide at his inaugural ball, so be it. I find nothing inherently wrong with the work of those two, because almost nobody else can shed a light on injustices African Americans suffer in the way they do. That doesn't make them race baiters. They simply demand an end to discrimination. Nobody of a different ethnicity will do it for them, that's for sure. Who is Hilary to hold a grudge against any voting bloc? If anything, she's trying harder to appease a demographic whose support she felt entitled to.

• Members

^^^I disagree about Sharpton and Jackson, I think they set african americans back, all they see is race and play the race card to its fullest. I'm not saying AA don't have injustices, but when they jump over every little comment white america says its really ridiculous, thats why I say they are race baiters. Thats also where there message gets lost to me, how can you take someone serious when they cry wolf all the time? They need to pick and chose there battles a little wiser. An maybe I shouldn't of used the word grudge so I will say you are right about that.

• Members

Obviously they are activists who focus on rhetoric as well as blatantly discriminatory practices. Certain comments are from a mentality that lead to the Jena 6 problem, and government apathy during the Hurricane Katrina response. These things are not isolated coincidences. If Sharpton and Jackson really jumped on every inflammatory statement, they would have denounced the recent fetish for calling Obama by his middle name Hussein, and Bill O'Reilly's crack about lynching his wife. Crying wolf implies lying. Whose conduct did they lie about? America is only tired of these guys because it hates personal responsibility. A progressive person would see their efforts as a big favor to those who need a wake up call about their treatment of others. Unfortunately no politician will support them because they're understandably aggressive, not stoic like Martin Luther King Jr. The last thing Obama will do is side with the modern day angry black man.

• Members

They are a campaign that is clearly gasping for air at this point and of course they are going to go negative. No it isn't right but that's what you do in American politics, when you are down for the count, you go negative.

Obama is clearly on his way to the nomination now. I have basically accepted that fact. I would have voted for Hillary and supported her if I was an American, but that doesn't mean Obama isn't a good thing. The way I am looking at it as an outsider, Obama or Clinton as the next president of the United States is a good thing.

I just wish we could settle this nomination business so we can look to the bigger picture in November.

• Members

Adam,

You are not an outsider. You are a member of this society, and your voice is just as important and strong as mine.

She has REALLY fucked up this time (Pardon my French). I don't know what the hell she was thinking, but she may have ruined not only her chances for now, but her chances of running for higher office in the near future.

She needs to ask herself.........is the presidency worth gaining if she loses her soul?

• Members

Stenbeck212, We will have to agree to disagree about Sharpton and Jackson. I prefer a Martin luther king type leadership where the message isn't lost from race-baiting, because crying wolf over every little comment they think is racist helps no one and people will tune you out because you aren't saying anything they have heard over 100 times.imo

Archived