Days:SOD spoilers

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't really understand the Drake thing..Is he planning to leave in 6 months? Or just saying that eventually the show will end, and everyone will have to move on...I really hope Drake doesn't leave..In my 20 years of watching the show (holy crap didn't realize it was that long)...He has been one of the only constants...Well him, Alice, and Maggie...

• Members

What the hell kind of riddle is Drake talking in? It sounds to me like he's pissed about being off the canvas for the last six months, and now he's sort of trying to send a message to the writers that he might leave at the end of his contract because of that. Yet, at the same time, he's too afraid to come right out and say "I plan to leave" so he just turns it into a giant riddle where you can't figure out what the hell he's saying.

Either way, he certainly doesn't sound positive!

---------------------------

Days' Drake to Exit

Turns out that yes, Drake Hogestyn had a deeper meaning when he named his fan event "The Final Mission."

"At some point, everybody is going to leave the show," he explained to fans. "I have six months left on my contract, so… after 20 years of throwing fan club gatherings, this is the final mission. The reality of it is, sooner or later you're at the tail of your talent cycle, whether it be here or somewhere else. Jeff Zucker has come out and said that he doesn't see NBC carrying daytime drama past March 2009. That doesn't mean we can't go someplace else. With that, it would necessitate huge budget cuts, which we're already going through. It's a business."

----------------------------

So does this mean that he plans to exit when his contract is up in six months, or that he'll naturally be gone when Days is gone in 2009? Make sense, Drake!

• Members

Personally i don't see Drake leaving when his contract is up..I'm hopeful that he'll be happy with his airtime and story this summer during the dimera storyline, and sign another contract...But his leaving would be a huge deal, but i would rather they kill John...so we could keep a widowed Marlena...

• Members

He's always said that he would stick around 'til Days ceases to exist, but of course he said all that whenever he thought he was considered a "top star" and not just a supporting player. Now, it's a whole different ballpark.

• Members

Drake, Deidre, Peter and Kristian were all way underused these past few months..Drake the worst of the bunch..But they still got paid a lot of money not to work, obviously less than they would if they were working..But still a paid vacation none the less..I know Drake likes to work, but still i wouldn't be complaining about a paid vacation...They could have fired him for 5 months, like Renee Jones..

But maybe Drake just got used to not working, and liked that...maybe he's ready to retire young...

• Members

Here's how I'm intepreting Drake's comments...

March of 2009 is two years away. There will be other fan events between now and then -- so Drake calling his fan event "the final mission" only makes sense if he plans to leave before those events. He probably sees the ship going down and wants to jump off before he goes down with it, hence talks of leaving in six months yet also tying Jeff Zucker's comments re: 2009 into the equation. He also says that the show will suffer even more cuts if it continues on somewhere else, which leads me to believe that he doesn't want to take another pay cut. He's probably going to leave Days before it's cancelled and try to get a job on another soap before EVERYONE at Days is looking for work, causing the search to be more competetive and difficult.

Either way, Drake needs to just make some goddamn sense.

• Members

I'm not following Drake. Is he saying that he definitely won't be re-signing in 6 months or just suggesting that he might not stay in the current climate? And what does DAYS leaving NBC in 09 have to do with HIS contract? The quotes don't seem to fit with the heading of the article.

• Members

LoL, agreed.

He's doing the one thing I hate most: talking out of his ass.

He's probably just saying all this sh!t to gets his fans writing to the show, telling TPTB how much they love John/Drake and when it comes time for contract negotiations, he can use that in his favor to suck up a higher salary, thus putting someone else out of work in able to afford Drake. Ugh.

• Members

From a financial standpoint, I could see Drake decidng to leave. A lot of the cast probably think the show won't last past 2009, and they are preparing for the end. There is nothing wrong with being prepared. As for him not receiving work afterwards, I don't think that's true. Although he's not the best actor on daytime, Drake has a huge fan following, and he is one of the most popular actors in daytime. I could see a show, probably Y&R, snatching him up really quick.

Archived