PASS/OLTL/ATWT: What soap do you think will gain from Passions not being on the air?

• Members

Just a general question that I don't think has been asked before at least not that I have seen yet. We know that Passions is going to be on Direct TV when it goes off of NBC, I don't know if it is still going to be airing at the same time as it did on NBC, plus even though it is going there not all of Passions fans will have direct tv or be willing to get it. So my question is to everyone which soap at Passions old time frame do you think will get a rise in viewers OLTL or ATWT or neither?

In my general opinion I think only half of the 1.3-.1.5 ratings that Passions gets will go to another soap, I just haven't really figured out yet which soap they may go to.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a good question, but it's hard for me to answer, considering the NBC daytime lineup airs an hour later here than in most markets. PSNS comes on opposite GH and GL here. Generally speaking, though, I think OLTL will get more of a boost than ATWT. Most PSNS, I hate to say, aren't the type who would also find a soap like ATWT interesting. I mean sure, there are probably a lot who would watch both, but the casual viewer who only watches one or two soaps at a time, wouldn't probably watch more than one type. For example, locally, I wouldn't imagine a teenage girl getting off from high school who watches PSNS deciding that GL would be a good replacement soap. She'd probably watch GH instead, if she even replaces PSNS with another soap, which is a question I think should also be answered. How many PSNS fans who only watch PSNS would actually replace it with another soap in the first place? Who's to say they wouldn't just not watch TV at that time or maybe watch a non-soap?

• Members

If any soap will get ex-Passions viewers it would be OLTL. As AMS alluded toom ATWT is too traditional and slow paced for it to appeal to a typical Passions fan. OLTL would fit the bill better.

• Members

I don't think either soap is going to get a bump of Passions fans. CBS has tried to lure other fanbases with hires, and it hasn't worked. People very rarely "soap hop". They just leave.

• Members

NBC fans would be more likely to pick up an ABC show than a CBS show, IMO. It would be hard to go from NBC to a CBS, especially the most untraditional show to the most traditional show on air.

• Members

No one. The bulk of Passions fans are young teens or college students who flocked to Passions because it wasn't traditional or the typical soap opera. Passions is far too different and has a cult following. The majority of that following will have no interest in other soaps.

However, if they aren't just sole Passions fans and if part of the following watches Days too, then I can see them maybe picking up OLTL. A CBS soap is out of the question though.

Honestly, I don't see anyone benefiting from it.

Archived