Matt Ashford in Discussions with Days

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks very much!

Let's hope Matt's discussions with DAYS prove fruitful. A short term return for the character of Jack Devereux is better than nothing, and you never know, it might lead to something bigger in the future.

• Members

Ashford said no contract has been signed, but his agent is talking to NBC.

"At this point, they are talking about a few days in March; you know this is pilot season," Ashford said. "There is no contract. They called and asked if I would be interested in coming back. They are great folks. I said, 'sure, let's talk.' So, my agent is talking to the people at 'Days.' "

Ashford was pleasantly surprised that the Herald's story has created so much buzz.

"If it works out, that is fine," Ashford said. "It seems that 'Days' has expressed interest, I have expressed interest and all the wonderful people out there have expressed interest."

But Ashford does have one big request if he does come back.

"I hope if Jack does come back, he comes back stirring up trouble," Ashford said. "That is the only way that it would be fun. It's no good to be nice and shake hands.

"Jack is totally out for himself, which, I have a lot of fun doing," Ashford added. "I wouldn't call him evil. How about riotous?"

----------------------------------

LOVE LOVE LOVE the last part!

• Members

YES YES YES!!

Ashford back FOR SURE short-term, and POTENTIALLY long term is MUSIC to my ears. Even better would be Ashford returning to play a more devious Jack, a deliciously devious Jack...not a villain...but not what we saw during his last turn.

Jack is one of the most interesting characters in daytime and there is no way Hogan can pass up this character.

• Members

It sounds like they agreed on the short term and may be discussing turning it into more.

I wonder if this may be a way of Corday testing the waters to bring Jack back alone. He may be gauging audience reaction with this short-term thing. Matt's return in 2001 was only supposed to be a short run and then it ended up turning into long-term. I would not be surprised if this turns out the same based on how both sides feel. We all know Hogan likes the character.

• Members

Bring him back long term.......but how would they deal with the Jennifer thing?

I wouldn't go with a recast: it'd be better to separate Jack/Jen in some way(divorce or marital separation), bring Jack back to Salem first, and then let him get involved maybe with Billie or someone else. If DAYS is indeed ending in 2009, they could always try and bring back Missy Reeves for the final episodes.

• Members

I think Days set up the perfect out with how they wrote J&J off in September. They went to run The Spectator branch in London so the way I would set up Jack without Jen is to have Jen go missing or be presumed dead due to a dangerous assignment. They could tie it to the Dimera's since J&J were helping with The Gloved Hand investigation prior to their exit. This way you can bring Jen back one day and this could take Jack back to a dark place of sorts. It could bring back some of the layers we use to get with his character. It's something Hogan may want to explore. I really don't want a recast nor do I think Days should put up the money for one becaue a newbie would not be a good idea for the role of Jennifer. You will need someone with experience and I would rather Days just bring Jack back and save the money they save from a Jen recast to bring another favorite back or something.

Whatever the case, I think we will be seeing Jack more then for a short run. That is just my feeling.

• Members

No one in Jack and Jennifer's circle needs to be dead, presumed dead, thought to be dead, nothing to do with death in anything involving these two. The storyline can ben done without putting Jennifer's life in danger.

It sounds like Matt wants to give Jack more of an edge. So staying true to character, Jack should be spending all of his time at work, and Jennifer feels neglected. We know that when Jack sets his sights on something, he goes after it full force, no matter if his family disapproves or not.

I'm not going to go into how the storyline should be done, because I have a blog and intend on bringing Jack back this year. So keep an eye out for ADGB to see how it would be the most sensible and simple way to bring back Jack sans Jennifer.

• Members

I know it can be Drew. It was just an idea that would push Jack to a darker place. There are a number of things they can do. However, some things can't be done unless you recast Jennifer. That is why having Jack work all the time and neglect her would be hard unless it played out offscreen, which would be bad because we saw that same setup when J&J returned in 2001. They broke up because Jack kept leaving, working, etc.

I wish they would've gone the Jennifer goes crazy route before Missy left. I think that story could've been really good.

• Members

Nope. The whole thing can be played on-screen from start to finish without ever recasting Jennifer.

;) It can be done.

Jennifer going to crazy would ahve been the best way to go. Ask Keith, I had the best storyline for Jennifer's breaking point. It seriously took me weeks to develop, and that was during the summer where I was writing, almost everyday.

• Members

If my husband had returned from the dead 3 times in 3 years, I think I would have gone crazy! :lol::lol:

My suggestion is that Jack and Jennifer's marriage has broken down again, he comes back to Salem(to run the Spectator newspaper, and live with Abby), she stays in London with Jack Jnr.

Archived