2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Personally, I hate how the writing staff of these soaps are so large. I think it's time the soap writing staff reverted back to a small group, between 5 to 8 writers. When the staff is too large, there's too much inconsistency and confusion in storytelling. I know Labine is a big fan of small writing staffs (though it sure didn't help her tenure on either OLTL or GL), and I think she has a valid opinion.

I think Bridget and Jerome Dobson perfected the craft of the small writing staff though. It's time for the Dobsons to return to soap writing, their stints on GL and ATWT live on as some of the best soap opera ever produced, and their creation, SB, is looked on as one of the greatest soaps to ever be produced. I'd kill to have them take over a show like Y&R, where imo, they'd be the perfect fit. All they'd have to do is learn the history of the show (which LML and her goons refuse to do).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To tell the truth, I'm not so sure that Frons is doing as much Micro-managing as we accuse him of. I know some of you are looking at me right now like " Yeah right Mother !@#$%^&*]", but my feeling is that we have some really lazy EP's. I dont think he gets involved as much as we think. Listening to vets like Erika Slezak, who says that Frons doesnt really get involved and the HW can screw up, and Frons only cares about Demos, promted me to look at it differently. After that, Robin Strasser comes out and says that she cannot wait for the Carlivati/Valentini connection where the EP and HW work together. Then I hear Valentini, who I know most of you don't like, come and make a comment about next years Emmys. He said when asked about losing at the EMMYS, "What can I say? Next year. And this is the guy who's going to write it for us." (he points to RC). I know in the business, there are a lot of broken promises, but I dont think that Slezak and Strasser would lie. I think that HW's have the power. I do know that Frons sometimes tells the HW, to pen this guy or girl a story, and I am sure Barbara Bloom and unknown at NBC does the same thing. We only notice the Micro-managing because the Head Writer [!@#$%^&*] up the story.

• Members

^I do think the EP's at ABCD are full of ship and have at least 50% of the blame on their shoulders. All 3 of them strike me as completely lazy and contrived. The CBS soaps might have flawed EP's, but they look as if they're trying, in some weird way, to do their job properly. Valentini and Carruthers in particular strike me as insane beings who sit at home and eat chips, while some assistant runs their shows for them. JFP, as much as I hate her, is very hands-on, but she more than likely always makes crappy decisions.

Valentini can cover OLTL's horrid Emmy track record this decade all he wants, but the results show for themselves. The ONLY acting Emmy OLTL has won this decade belongs to Erika Slezak, who won in 2005. No other actor from OLTL has been able to win an Emmy at all this decade. Though, the show finally won the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy in 2002, which should've been reason enough for Gary Tomlin NOT to be fired. I'm sorry, but Tomlin always struck me as an EP who fought for the integrity of the show, Valentini just strikes me as Frons' bitch with horrible taste.

• Administrator

Not only should the writing staff be smaller, they should eliminate the transition between breakdown writer and script writer. They should just have one writer write both breakdown and script.

The way I would have my writing staff is: 1 or 2 Head Writers, 5 breakdown/script writers, 1 script editor. So that's a 7 or 8 writing team.

• Members

Well, you are the voice of reason, Sylph. ;)

Look at this writing team from GL, from the late 70's, headed by the legendary husband and wife team of Jerome and Bridget Dobson. This period is also considered a golden era in GL's history.

The team:

Bridget Dobson

Jerome Dobson

Nancy Ford

Jean Rouverol

Robert White

Phyllis White

If only soaps these days had a small team like this....

• Members

Hopefully, you'd find people who are strong in both skills. There are people who write good story and structure, but don't have an ear for dialog. And then of course the flip side are people who have a good ear for dialog, but can't structure a story to save their lives!

Plus, writing one or two 18 page breakdowns a week is a much cushier job than penning one or two 80 page scripts a week. I believe the WGA knew exactly what they were doing when they "created" the breakdown writer position.

Personally, I hate writing outlines.

Archived