Marvel's Agent Carter: Discussion Thread

• Members

EW's new piece on the (unnecessary) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff puts renewal chances for Agent Carter at "60 percent". I think it's probably better than that at this point. I think if it were dead we'd know by now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Re: AOS, I don't think it's a huge money burn for ABC and the Marvel brand is pretty unshakeable and guarantees viewers, so it's an easy renewal even with meh numbers.

It's a lot better than it was in Season 1, but I still mostly find it passable and mildly diverting at best most weeks. I stick with it out of brand loyalty and a few key stars - Ming-Na is wonderful as Melinda May, Clark Gregg is great, Adrianne Palicki as Mockingbird, Henry Simmons. I think Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge are decent and Chloe Bennet has improved a lot, and I'm always happy to see Kyle MacLachlan and Dichen Lachman from Dollhouse as Mr. Hyde and his Inhuman wife. But they could still do a clean sweep on the premise and ensemble except for the first three or so actors I mentioned and I'd be fine with it. I think it's deeply compromised by an ABC budget and shackled by the restrictions of not only the network but someone in Marvel forcing them to largely use D or F-listers. My suspicion is any spinoff might be their attempt to get AOS "right," when you could more easily do that by overhauling the actual show. I also think they need to fire most of Joss Whedon's relatives who seem to do a lot of the showrunning. I don't have your issues with Whedon, but I do think his relatives aren't cutting it.

As for Agent Carter, it had a different creative team but suffered from similar problems in terms of bland network budget and production value and a boxed-in, limited scope, but its period detail and visuals were beautiful, and its premise and cast were instantly more winning, especially Hayley Atwell, Lyndsy Fonseca and Enver Gjokaj, again from Dollhouse. I hope it does get a renewal and that they're allowed to open it up. Maybe Peggy Carter during the Red Scare.

• Members

Considering how bad the new Avengers movie looks and how much time Whedon is spending as some self-appointed moral arbiter (blasting a competitor for his big movie as "sexist" [i wonder if they have any plots involving pregnant women being fired...]) rather than making quality product, I really think these shows would be better off clearing him out and anyone else who has his last name or is tied to him. His ideas of TV were already stale 10 years ago and AoS had so many casting mistakes and all the energy of a dead slug.

• Members

Well, the new Avengers movie is getting pretty good reviews and I loved the last one (and most of the MCU film product, really) so I guess we'll differ there. I do think his comment about Jurassic World is out of line and unnecessary.

• Members

For me Nazi Wanda moping around in Hot Topic gear so that Whedon can relive all his old Amy Acker fantasies is not something good reviews will counteract (especially since most reviewers would praise him if he had 2 hours of a rusty tin can sitting in the sun), but I do genuinely hope you enjoy the movie.

• Members

I just don't find Wanda or Pietro's appearance or casting to be at all different from the majority of their comic appearances (or how their mother was depicted). They were raised as adoptive Romani but they always skewed towards Magneto's physicality. I think the only artist that occasionally made a real effort to depict Wanda as anything more overtly Sinti was George Perez. And I think Elizabeth Olsen is an exceptional actress, so it doesn't bother me.

I do like Amy Acker, but yeah, my first thought when Whedon unnecessarily bitched about JW and the lovely Bryce Dallas Howard was a very facetious, "she's no Amy Acker!"

• Members

Beyond how very white she is, which, yes, I agree Wanda was often drawn that way, it's also the weird elfin faces she makes in almost every photo I've seen of her, and that heavy eye makeup. It's like someone said Wanda is a leather-babe Lillian Gish. Wanda was never fey or winsome, even in her earliest days when she was just there to watch the men and do a whopping one hex before she got knocked out. And I also read some interviews where Olsen laughed about how great it is to play Wanda because she's so screwed up, which is also an odd way to approach the character. She isn't Tara Reid falling over on the street, or a loveable trashy hoot.

I guess we'll see.

• Members

I think that's the same reason a lot of people like writing Wanda - she's a deeply damaged character with a wild history, but she also has strength. I think it helps that I saw Olsen in Martha Marcy May Marlene, where she was absolutely incredible.

The accent they gave Pietro, OTOH, I can't defend. I hope it's a put-on, but it also may sound better in the actual film.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived