The Catlins

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've never figured out how to upload to youtube, but I'll see if I can figure it out eventually.

These are the character descriptions used in the press photos for the show at the time of the premier. Most interesting is the inclusion of Kent Whipple's Roger Brown, who is never listed in any of the books. Roger's description talks about his marriage, but there is no Mrs. Brown in the cast. I think Roger may have been married to Maggie Catlin as one episode I have mentions that Woody became involved with Maggie on the heels of her divorce. Of course, I could be wrong.

Catherine Catlin (Mary Nell Santacroce), matriarch of the Catlin empire; T.J. Catlin (J. Don Ferguson), pragmatic, visionary Chairman of the Board of the Catlin’s financial empire; Annabelle Catlin (Muriel Moore), T.J.’s emotionally fragile wife; Matthew Catlin (Dan Albright), brilliant surgeon, overly cautious in romance.

Maggie Catlin (Victoria Loving), superficially cold, inwardly frustrated; Jonathan Catlin (Jerry Homan), middle Catlin son desperate to prove himself; Beau Catlin (Larry Jordan), proverbial black-sheep of the family; Eleanor Catlin (Marilyn Martin), Jonathan’s neglected artistic wife.

Roger Brown (Kent Whipple), successful attorney, his marriage is a merger, not a romance; Seth Quinn (Brett Rice), burdened by his family responsibilities; Medgar Quinn (Danny Nelson), Chairman of the Board of South Coastal Bank, and personal and business adversary of the Catlins; Jennifer Catlin (Nancy Kennedy), beautiful and naïve, youngest daughter with con man Robert Goode (Dirk Randall).

Edited by dc11786

• Members

The first episode of the eight I received is from March, 1984. Based on the previews, it appears to be Monday, March 5. The show has already switched over to the opening sequence that doesn't feature the main family pictures.

Anyway, the show features 3 storylines, which appears fairly typical for all the episode I've seen. In this episode, there is (1) a crisis at the hospital that Matt Catlin reacts to, (2) Dirk Stack and Cullen Quinn reacting to Cullen's arrest and release due to their drug operation, and (3) T.J. Catlin's proclamation to his daughter, Maggie Catlin, that he plans on selling the Catlin sawmill.

The least exciting story involves Matt Catlin. He is featured in a well decorated office space speaking to the chief of staff, Henry, about mundane things like the hospital coffee when Diane, a hysterical woman, comes flying in proclaiming "Craig is dead!' like we are suppose to know or care about Craig. Anyway, the thread picks up with Diane and Matt discussing Craig, now dead, who has been Matt's patient and golf buddy. Apparently, Craig broke his ankle and arrived at the ER just at the same time a bus load of school children arrived after a bus accident (I kid you not). Anyway, the ER is mess, Diane is hysterical, and Craig wakes up, walks around, undoes all his stitches, and bleeds to death. They end up sending Diane to a spare room (thankfully), but she ends up returning to cry on Matt's shoulder. This whole ordeal seems to pivot on the axis that the head of the ER is irresponsible and Henry, the chief of staff, asks Matt to consider running the ER because Matt is a gifted surgeon and independently wealthy. St. Elsewhere, this isn't, but the show does have Matt stand on his soap box and deliver a nice little (but possibly over the top) monologue about the importance of emergency services and why they are so important to the live saving system.

Not sure who was still around, but this might have been more effective if say Crissy Catlin rushed in because something happened to Bobby, the son she shared with Matt, that required him to be in the ER. Then, Crissy's whining about Matt's absence would have been more reasonable, while Crissy could capitalize on the situation to reconnect with Matt. Plus, I loved Candy Howard's Crissy, but I suspect she was given the boat fairly early on. In a June, 1983 article from the Atlanta Constitution, Howard received some criticism because she didn't sound like she was from the South.

Anyway, there is no resolution to this story in the previews, and it is the only that doesn't pick up in the next installment.

In the second story, Cullen Quinn is at his interestingly designed penthouse. I believe it's featured in the Christmas, 1984 episode available online. Anyway, Cullen answers the door for Dirk Stack, who has been working for the Catlin family for several months (as we will learn in the next scene). In all the previous episodes I've seen, Dirk was an ally to the Catlins, so I was initially thrown for a loop, but this story starts to change my perception of Dirk. Anyway, Dirk and Cullen play catch up; Cullen has been arrested because of their drug operation, but was released by Medger Quinn (Cullen's daddy) on bond. Cullen and Dirk attempt to figure out who snitched, but cannot figure it out. The only loose end seems to be a truck driver delivering the load.

In terms of establishing character timelines, Cullen mentions Truck Larson, his henchman for all of 1984, and, I believe, into 1985. Dirk mentions Bryce Draper, Medgar's lawyer who is credited in the July, 1983, episode featured online. In the previews for March 6, Bryce appears at Cullen's place to discuss legal matters. I have no clue if the same actor is playing the part.

Dirk's involvement with Quinns kind of spins everything that comes after this. I now see Dirk as more of a Roger Thorpe type, a man determined to make something for himself and use people in the process. Dirk's romance with Maggie Catlin seems to be the complication in his desire to achieve happiness. Maggie is smart, and, I suspect, initially, Dirk dated Maggie to keep an eye on her, but it is clear that by December, 1984, Dirk has fallen for her and lost her because of what he has done. The drug storyline, and the fall out, plays out throughout 1984 and probably into 1985. I didn't expect the show to have long term ramifcations like that.

Our final plotline plays off the drug storyline, as we will see. T.J. Catlin arrives at his office looking for the financial figures regarding the different divisions of Catlin Enterprises. Looking for liquid capital, T.J. wants to sell any division that is in the red, including the Catlin family saw mill. Maggie is mortified by T.J.'s decision claiming this was the start of the family's fortune. T.J. claims she is sentimental, and Maggie claims he has been blind to everything but the international division since Dirk arrived. T.J. admits he is impressed with Dirk's work in the international division, but he is simply tired of paying the payroll for the mill out of his pocket.

The characterization of T.J. in this episode is like nothing I've seen after. He's cold, aggressive, and driven by money. In the later episodes, T.J. is more human, more flawed. He owned his mistakes and seemed determine to make good with his family. I'm curious about when the change occurs.

An upset Maggie dines with Dirk at the country club where she goes into her long monologue about the importance of the mill to her and her family. It's a really well done piece explaining how Maggie and the boys played there as children, and how Maggie learned to respect the men who worked for the mill. Maggie talks about how Catherine ran the mill after the death of Catherine's husband, Gus. The conflict over the mill works well because both characters have sufficient reason for feeling the way they do. This story continues into the next episode where Matt tells Maggie she needs to inform their grandmother Catherine, at present in Alaska, before returning to learn the mill has been sold.

During Maggie's monologue, she states, "the boys, Matt, Jonathan, and James" and later worries about "James, who still work there." It isn't clear whether James is another Catlin brother, or possibly Beau's birth name, or James O'Neil, the character who is listed in the November 1984 episode. Anyway, in terms of establishing timeline, Dirk Stack has been in charge of the international division for 3 months, which means Dirk probably entered the story around October / November, 1983. He was definitely involved in the story set Catalan, which took place in November / December 1983. It's possible Dirk's been around longer, but this definitely secures his position in the story in late 1983.

Overall, not my favorite episode, but there were definitely some strong moments No cast is credited, but the credits are still run over a picture of the Catlin mansion. Empire Media is listed as the production company still, not Proctor & Gamble.

Edited by dc11786

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A 1983 promo featuring Nancy Kennedy as Jennifer Catlin, Richard Fagan as Powell Jackson, Fred Covington as Gary Hopkins, J. Don Ferguson as T.J. Catlin, and Jerry Homan as Jonathan Catlin. The person who uploaded has other TBS videos dated July 25, 1983, which this preview is probably from.

I'll have to review my notes, but I believe Powell Jackson was Jennifer's psychiatrist, and clearly not all there himself. I think it's possible that Richard Fagan makes Charity Rhamer and Troy Kurtis look subtle. In the July 1983 episode previously uploaded, Jennifer was on trial so I wonder if this is the resolution to the mystery. Maybe Powell is in fact Robert Goode's killer?

Covington let his hair gray by April, 1984. I've been meaning to comment on the other episodes I received, but I've fallen behind. Maybe I'll try later tonight.

Edited by dc11786

• 3 months later...
  • Members

It’s now April 13, 1984. A little over a month has passed, but some of the stories still carry over from our last installment.

Several story threads revolve around the drug trafficking story. From the police angle, we meet Babe Chalifoux, a cop working to break the drug ring that has infiltrated Atlanta, who is working with her boss Gary Hopkins. Gary is an older gentleman, and a bit more gray than he was in the July, 1983 preview from youtube. Initially, we only hear Gary’s voice, but eventually we see him at the drug laboratory with Babe and another cop. Gary and Babe are very excited that they have found the drugs that have been sold in the community and claim it’s “the biggest bust ever.” Gary and Babe agree to call Jonathan Catlin, a member of the drug commission, to help with the bust.

Our drug traffickers are also featured. Cullen Quinn is excited to sell the product and make money so he can lord it over his brother Seth. Truck Larsen, Cullen’s right hand man, talks about going to Tahiti and getting himself a little lady in a grass skirt. More reserved is Doc, our chemist, who fears that he isn’t going to get his money. I recognize the actor playing Doc, but cannot place him. Anyway, Doc spots the cops in the lab and reports back to Cullen and Truck, who are back at Cullen’s apartment.

The other continuing story follows the sale of the Catlin saw mill. Woody Thorpe (played by TEXAS alum Charles Hill) has purchased the mill from the Catlins. He arrives at Maggie’s office to pick up the deed. Maggie, upset for unknown reasons, turns to Woody for support. Woody clearly cares for Maggie, but Maggie remains mum. Once Dirk enters, it’s clear Dirk is the reason Maggie is crying. There is definitely tension and they are definitely playing a Dirk / Maggie / Woody triangle with Dirk, the slick, cunning executive, and Woody, the good ole boy hayseed. Ridley is very good at handling the material, Ranier is smooth as Dirk, and Hill is solid as Woody.

In one of our new stories, Jennifer Catlin has returned from Paris and has just returned from a night out with an old beau, Carter. Jennifer is now being played by Jennifer Anglin, and she seems new to the show. There is a lot of talk about this being “a new Jennifer.” This is probably one of the more effective sequences is a pretty strong episode. Jennifer discusses her night out with her mother (played by very Southern Muriel Moore) and how she has changed since being in Paris. There is a lot of talk about changing values, and Jennifer snaps at Annabelle when she asks about a private call (Jennifer’s Parisan beau, Lexi) that Jennifer has received. Instead of playing Annabelle as nosy or Jennifer as spoiled, the scenes end with Annabelle saying that she hopes that she and Jennifer can always be close no matter what is going on. It was a really well played moment by Muriel Moore.

In the final story, Jonathan Catlin is speaking to Regina, a member of his senatorial campaign staff. Jonathan is contemplating quitting the drug commission and the senate race. There is a lot of exposition about Eleanor’s trial (apparently Warden Evans [Eleanor’s murderer] held Lauren hostage a gunpoint in the court room. It was Jonathan who managed to free Lauren. District attorney Darryl Chambers botched the murder trial before deciding to continue his run for senate). Regina is an interesting addition, and appears to have been around for a while. Prior to joining Jonathan’s campaign, she worked in the corporate suite at Catlin Enterprises. Regina seems ambitious and wants Jonathan to succeed. While I don’t’ think they a couple, it’s clear they are laying the groundwork for a future romantic development. Her dark hair and features remind me a bit of Marilyn Martin, who played Jonathan’s wife Eleanor.

Some interesting side notes… Jonathan mentioned he’s being harassed by Stacey Manning, so she is already on the scene. Daryl Chambers, the district attorney from Jennifer’s trial in the summer of 1983, has been brought back for another run as Jonathan’s rival in the senate campaign. Dan Albright is out of the credits, but Christina Reguli is still listed as Lauren. In the previews, a blonde (possibly Memphis Morgan) is telling Beau he needs to forget about Lauren. BTW, Beau is being played by Peter Boynton in the clip for the next episode.

Most notably, P&G is now being credited as the production company. I would suspect the takeover occurred around the first anniversary, which would have happened between the last episode I wrote about and this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Funny how things come together...

I recently got some copies of "Savannah" that I've been working my way through. As I'm watching a season two episode, I suddenly hear a familiar voice. I look up and see "Doc." Sure enough, it is a much older Charles Lawlor.

So the "Doc" character from April, 1984 was Dr. Earnest Snackley, which should have surprised me because the boxes in the scenes did look like it had Snackley written on the boxes. And it was Charles, not John, like you had written.

Please register in order to view this content

• 10 months later...
  • Members

@dc11786  Is this how the Catlins' family trees would fall out?

CATLIN

Catherine + Gus                     

|                     

/      

|           

|

T.J.  +  Annabelle

|

|-- Beau + Lauren

|

|--Maggie + Roger

|

|--Jennifer

|

|--Matt + Chrissy

|              |

|               |-Bobby       

|

|

|--Jonathon+Eleanor

|

|--Quinn

|

|--Stephanie|

|

|---?? 

QUINN

Marsh

|

| 

Medger

|

|--Seth

|

|--Cullen

|

|--Eleanor + Jonathon

|

|--Quinn

|

|-- Stephanie

|

|--???

MAHONEY

Jack   +  Carla    (+) ??????

|                  |

|               Stacey

|

|--Vanessa+ Peter   + __  Lockwood

Thanks for any input!

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Gus Catlin was Catherine's husband, not her son. I always thought the same given that Rod Davis, a radio personality, was credited playing the role. I think Davis most likely played Gus Catlin in flashbacks to his murder in 1936. Gus was killed by Marsh Quinn, who I would assume was Medger's (Danny Nelson) father. I could be wrong about how Davis appeared, but Gus definitely was Catherine's husband. 

Jonathan was T.J. and Annabelle's son. Eleanor and Jonathan had a third child, but I don't know the child's name. Jerry Homan, who played Jonathan, was the only Catlin child to appear from the beginning to the end. Homan was a regular with WTBS having appeared on some of the earlier programming, including a sketch show as a newsman who wore a paper bag over his face. 

Beau had married Lauren Woodward in July, 1983. Maggie Catlin had been married and divorced during the series. In early episodes, she was linked to Roger Brown, an attorney, while a flirtation developed with another attorney, Bryce Draper. I'm pretty sure Roger was her husband. 

For the Mahoneys, I would list Carla first. Vanessa was Carla and Jack's daughter and it would seem Vanessa was the older sister. Stacey came off younger as the roving reporter and the implication was that Stacey was the product of an infidelity during Jack and Carla's marriage. 

Otherwise, this looks right.  

• Members

Updated cast (( to the best of my knowledge)

THE CATLINS

APRIL 14,1983-MAY 31, 1985

ATLANTA

Fayrene Bishop...Didi Lanier                        + Jonathon

Stuart Blake...Stuart Culpepper

Dr. Robert Boone        David Haskell   +Annabelle                                                                          SantaB.Generations,PD,DAL, KL, FC, All That Glitters

Billy Braxton...   Benji Wilhoite

Faith Braxton...Marion Guyot                                         Savannah

Maggie Catlin  Brown...Victoria Loving             +Dirk

...Julie Ridley                   ...ATWT. LOL

Roger Brown...Kent Whipple      attorney  +Maggie

Irving Bunny...Marc Gowan

Annabelle ________Catlin...Pamela Burrelle   +Robert      RH

...Muriel Moore

Beau Catlin...Peter Boynton                                        OLTL, ATWT

...Jordan Williams (AKA Larry Jordan)

Bobby Catlin... Timothy Hill                                      son Matt & Chrissy

Catherine _______Catlin...Mary Nell Santacroce

Chrissy ____ Catlin....Candy Howard

...Nancy Leep

Eleanor Quinn Catlin...Marilyn Martin

Gus   Catlin... Rod Davis

Jennifer Catlin...Jennifer Anglin            GH       +Robert (crush),+Peter     

...Terri VandenBosch            ATWT

...Nancy Kennedy

Jonathon Catlin...Jerry Homan

Lauren Woodward Catlin...Christine Reguli

Dr. Matt Catlin...Dan Albright                              + Lauren

Quinn Catlin...John Lapidus  (?Lanier)                son Jonathon+Eleanor

Stephanie Catlin....Jessica Reguli                          daughter   Jonathon+Eleanor

TJ Catlin...Michael Forrest                  ATWT                        , +Valerie

...J. Don Ferguson

Babe Chalifoux...Angie Bolling  DAL   +Dirkcop trying to break drug ring

Darryl Chambers ...Darryl B. Cohen

DrPeter Crane...Victor Bevine          DOOL,LOV,SantaB, GL, Models, Inc       + Jen, +Vanessa

Lucille ____ Crowe...Jane Berman...              +TJ in Annabelle's eyes...

Bryce Draper  Charles Honee       + Maggie

Warden Evans...Charles Kahlenberg    BH:90210    murdered Eleanor

Robert Goode...Dirk Randall

Mrs. Gordon...Nita Hardy

Joseph High-Otter...Machiste Quintana               AW GL

Gary Hopkins...Fred Covington      boss, Babe

Dr. Powell Jackson...Richard Fagan

______Jantzen...Randy Randolph

Valerie Kostapolis...Dawn Young

Truck Larsen...Jerry Campbell

Carla Lockridge Mahoney  ...Bea Swanson

Mr. Lockwood...???????????????????

Vanessa Mahoney Crane Lockwood....Lisby Larsen        AW,ATWT, OLTL, GL, LOV,SFT, Texas

Sen. Jack Mahoney...James Congdon                  RH, SOM, AW,EON,LOL            Stacy Manning...Kay McLelland                                        +Cullen

Jacqui (Miller)   McCormack...Alice Barrett              AW, OLTL    +Beau, +Woody

Cain Morgan...Jay Cady

Memphis Morgan...Justine Thieleman

Bunker Nelson...??????

James O'Neill...Rob Cleveland

Montgomery"MG" O'Neill...Jarrett Beal                             1985

Cullen Quinn...McLinn Crowell                                  +Stacy                    AW

Medger Quinn...Danny Nelson

Seth Quinn   Brett Rice

Andrea Smith... Iris Little Roberts

Dr. Ernst Snackley...Charles Lawlor     made drugs            SAV

Dirk Stack....Josef Ranier          +Babe, +Maggie           GEN, B&B,DYN  DAL

Woody Thorpe... Charles Hill   TEX   +Jacqui bought mill from the CaTLINS

__________Walker...Ken Feenberg

Kay Webber...Barbara Rucker    Helped TJ get back $$$                ATWT, TEX

Judge Wendall   Jay McMillan

Alex...........Mark Dember                       Jen's bad boyfriend

Carter...????/...dated Jennifer

Lexi...????...