Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

September 1-5, 2008

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#21 jhc2010

jhc2010

Recurring

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:20 AM

Just for reference, here are some ratings from Labor Day (Monday) for CBS & NBC:

CBS' coverage of the US Open Tennis Tournament on Labor Day averaged a 2.1 rating/5 share from 12:30-6 PM ET, which was down from a 2.4 rating last year.

NBC's coverage of the PGA Deutsche Bank Championship's final round averaged a 1.5/3 from 2-6 PM ET on Labor Day. This is down from a 4.0 last year.

#22 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:26 AM

Y&R deserves the rise, I hope it can continue, the show is enjoyable.

The same goes for AMC, that show is going to need some promotion because I have enjoyed it as well and yet the numbers are bad.

#23 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,641 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:54 AM

Great to see AMC get a *relatively* strong wise for their improved material.

#24 MoTheGreat

MoTheGreat

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

Bring Chleo on as Ester daughter might be doing wonders for Y&R.

#25 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,722 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (MoTheGreat @ Sep 12 2008, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bring Chleo on as Ester daughter might be doing wonders for Y&R.

Its why i am watching.

#26 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

I know its hardly a key demo but out of sheer curiosity, why the big year-to-year drop in men for ABC? Granted ABC's year-to-year numbers overall are a travesty (although AMC seems to have tapered off the losses this week) but what's up with the guys?

#27 MoTheGreat

MoTheGreat

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (JackPeyton @ Sep 12 2008, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its why i am watching.

I would watch but I just don't want to catch CKLily. She's the reason why I stop watching. Until I know she's gone I'll watch Y&R again.

#28 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,722 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (marceline @ Sep 12 2008, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know its hardly a key demo but out of sheer curiosity, why the big year-to-year drop in men for ABC? Granted ABC's year-to-year numbers overall are a travesty (although AMC seems to have tapered off the losses this week) but what's up with the guys?

i found it funny that GH is almost at the bottom of that list.

#29 RalphOrtiz

RalphOrtiz

Recurring

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

Poor GL. Hopefully its ratings and demos will rise next week.

#30 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,266 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (JackPeyton @ Sep 12 2008, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its why i am watching.

Same here!!

#31 Noel

Noel

Super Bitch!

• Members
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (RalphOrtiz @ Sep 12 2008, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poor GL. Hopefully its ratings and demos will rise next week.

I would too, but there has to be a regime change in order to do that. You'd be surprised at the GL viewers who are not the message board kind of people like us who have quit watching the show because of various reasons. And it's surprising as well.

#32 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,266 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the ratings Toups. biggrin.gif Glad ATWT and Y&R went up. A 2.1 for ATWT seems like gold now. laugh.gif I havent seen that number by ATWT in a while. Love seeing those 3.8's for Y&R. Hopefully, they can hit the 4's in the next weeks.

#33 Jess

Jess

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Except for the return to the Ryan show, I have enjoyed AMC since Jesse/Angie came back. I don't think viewers trust ABCD anymore, however. I really can not blame anyone if they decided not to invest in anything that is on ABC. The payoff is always disappointment.

#34 Kyle

Kyle

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

Yeah for AMC for their gains in Total Viewers!

#35 MarkH

MarkH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Zendall Fan @ Sep 11 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pratt started a few weeks ago and he's just NOW getting things moving along, so yeah I can see why ratings stayed the same

QUOTE (sonyab1974 @ Sep 11 2008, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm.. Well maybe the ratings will pick up after the tornado hits. smile.gif

Remember :-)....what happens day-to-day on screen generally has no short term, and almost never a long-term, effect on ratings. A shocking recent exception was Y&R's "Sudden Impact", but extensive off-network and out-of-daypart promotion was probably part of that formula. I suspect that a long-term uptick in quality and buzz and promotion WOULD have a long-term influence on ratings...but never more than +.2 or something in the modern era.

Thus...while AMC could significantly alter its stable position in the RANKINGS, I have few expectations that any show will ever make a significant dent in ratings attrition again.

QUOTE (Kyle @ Sep 12 2008, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah for AMC for their gains in Total Viewers!

Is this real, or is it an artifact of the new "total viewers" count?

#36 joshua2854

joshua2854

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

I'm glad to see that none of the soaps fell in the ratings (although some lost a little audience). Good to see 5 of 8 soaps at the 2.0 level or higher. Congrats to DAYS and ATWT for their gains. Interesting to note that DAYS with no lead in seems to be beating its competition (ATWT & OLTL) in its main time slot. Maybe we'll finally get an official word from NBC about their renewal.

Josh

#37 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (JackPeyton @ Sep 12 2008, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i found it funny that GH is almost at the bottom of that list.

the Men demo?

Doesn't surprise me in the least. GH and ABC soaps are about couples for the sake of being couples and couples who don;t have any story whatsoever but just discuss daily how they are doing as a couple. I don't think guys tend to go for that or see the virtue in Couple A over Couple B. If the story is interesting it could star anything.

#38 sonyab1974

sonyab1974

Recurring

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Remember :-)....what happens day-to-day on screen generally has no short term, and almost never a long-term, effect on ratings. A shocking recent exception was Y&R's "Sudden Impact", but extensive off-network and out-of-daypart promotion was probably part of that formula. I suspect that a long-term uptick in quality and buzz and promotion WOULD have a long-term influence on ratings...but never more than +.2 or something in the modern era.
=================================================
Well, then they are going to have to promote the tornado a lot!! I wonder if they are going to advertise it. I would love to see that! smile.gif

#39 MarkH

MarkH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (sonyab1974 @ Sep 12 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, then they are going to have to promote the tornado a lot!! I wonder if they are going to advertise it. I would love to see that! smile.gif

I wish, wish, wish for heavy promotion. I'm afraid, though, that even if there WERE promotion it would get lost in the fall-new-series promotion. And, since there is such competition for entertainment mag and on-air promotion now, I suspect ABC will do virtually NONE.

Which, if I am right, means no lessons were learned from Sudden Impact.

But not even Y&R/CBS learned that lesson...I don't see any increase in off-network or off-daypart promotion.

#40 sonyab1974

sonyab1974

Recurring

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (MarkH @ Sep 13 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish, wish, wish for heavy promotion. I'm afraid, though, that even if there WERE promotion it would get lost in the fall-new-series promotion. And, since there is such competition for entertainment mag and on-air promotion now, I suspect ABC will do virtually NONE.

Which, if I am right, means no lessons were learned from Sudden Impact.

But not even Y&R/CBS learned that lesson...I don't see any increase in off-network or off-daypart promotion.

sad.gif well we can have hope and faith that they will do heavy promotion. I don't see why they wouldn't. What do you mean by sudden impact?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users