American Idol: Chris Daughtry Signs Record Deal

R!ck

• Members

'Idol's' Daughtry Signs Record Deal

Fourth-place finisher follows Hicks, McPhee to 19/RCA

July 10 2006

After turning down a spot in the band Fuel to pursue recording opportunities as a solo artist, Chris Daughtry has made the decision pay off. The fourth-place finisher on this year's "American Idol" has signed a contract with 19 Recordings/RCA Records, following the footsteps of winner Taylor Hicks and runner-up Katharine McPhee. The 19 label is an arm of "Idol" creator Simon Fuller's company, 19 Entertainment.

Daughtry's ouster from "American Idol" on May 10 -- he'd been considered a favorite for much of the competition -- was among the bigger shocks in the FOX show's five-season history. Within a few days of his elimination, members of Fuel had offered him a spot as their new singer, based largely on Daughtry's performance of the group's song "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" on the show. He turned the offer down, though, saying he'd prefer to be "doing my own thing."

The 26-year-old will instead form his own band and is already working with "A-list collaborators" in writing and recording the album. RCA expects the record to be in stores by the end of the year.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Chris lost out at number four on American Idol, I was just like Kat and half the world, I think. My jaw dropped, I came half out of my chair, I stomped my feet and screamed at the TV. What a rotten moment. He should not have lost out, but that is the way it goes and maybe he came in the very best place after all for himself and his band. Congratulations to them and I hope they attain their wildest dreams. Personally, I thought he would have done better to lead Fuel or another known group to get a bigger following, then go out on his own, but he is doing it "his way" and all the best to him.

Good to have a place to chat about MY IDOL...thanks, Sami.

I have made a few Chris blinkies and other AI contestants blinkies if anyone enjoys using blinkies.

http://public.fotki.com/ARo

Chris_B2_vi.gif

Archived