• Members

Ryan terrorizing her and killing Kiki was not a redemption arc. At her core. Ava has always had an unstable, violent streak.

Easton actually he chemistry with NLG. An easy, adult chemistry. If they had paired them up instead of trying to force Finn on Anna and Liz he might have had a chance.

We may never know what exactly happened backstage, but onscreen is the biggest mess I have ever seen watching this show. Bigger than Brenda and Sonny being terrorized by origami.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hehe. Origami.

But I agree on the chemistry between Finn and Alexis. I was not regularly watching when their friendship started, but I see it. A shame they put him with Liz or her with his father when that was there the whole time. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

If you think about it, you could compare all of today's remaining U.S. soaps with crappy restaurant chains. 

GH?  Red Lobster.  (Endless cast members!)

Y&R?  Olive Garden.  (Trying to do 'classy' on a budget.)

B&B?  California Pizza Kitchen.*  (Trying to be ‘hip’ but looking instead like a poseur.)

DAYS?  T.G.I.Friday's.  (Because, there’s no rhyme or reason to any of it.)

(*But will accept Cheesecake Factory as a substitute!)

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

Mulcahey is a legend, and the dialogue and show is better. But sad to say his overall material on GH just feels old and recycled. He is in fact recycling stuff he did on other shows, especially on Guiding Light. His sensibility feels circa 1992. He needed a co-HW not only to keep things moving, but to keep things fresh. Perhaps it was just too late in life for him to take the job. Again, the show just feels old. 

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

This, to me, is hilarious... because the 1990's were the last golden era of soaps, especially the early 1990's, and I don't think that's a bad thing to be related to. And people always say "We want the hey-day of soaps back," and Mulcahey was trying to do that in some ways, and now that's.... bad?

• Members

Agree about Ava.  I feel like Ava has been pretty stagnant as a character since she became redeemed.

I also agree about Easton/NLG.  I never really noticed it until yesterday, but they work quite well together.

I think the Tin Man Origami story is one of the worst stories Sonny and Brenda were ever involved in, but I will say it was more interesting than any story currently on this show lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I actually liked Finn & Anna, although so much of that was taken up for me by Alex and by Peter, their stuff. But, I haven't liked him with anyone at all since then, till yesterday. The previous Alexis/Finn meet-ups, talks, discussion of AA doings, trips to AA meetings together, I was just ho-hum, but, BINGO, yesterday as "Friends of Bill" confronting massive mourning together, it really had appeal. I think they hugged each other, real hugs, 3 or 4 times! 

Apparently this represents Blaze's first appearance as the new FOD. 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/jgracelopez/3379154974209103946/

Edited by Contessa Donatella
🔥

• Members

Maura West was an absolute dream in those scenes with Alexis. She had a couple of line readings that were chilling, but also had some fun with it. She and NLG played it so good.

Hey FV and team, if you are listening/reading, I know making a soap today is hard. But take a step back. You had a perfect cliffhanger twice in those scenes with Alexis and Ava. The first was Alexis just walking in and a couple of closeups would do. An even better one would have been after Alexis told Ava she knew it was her, the first scene break. We could have gotten two episodes out of this needed drama, and an actual cliffhanger from one episode to the next to keep tuning in.

• Members

I think they're filming bulk scenes, and then comprising episodes based on that... again, I could be wrong, but I recall a tweet or two suggesting this is how things have been done for a bit of time post-COVID hiatus.

• Members

Frank has been doing this since OLTL. HBS and Bob Woods talked about how hard it was on their performance, as they shoot out of sequence based on sets and contract guarantees. GH has a bigger studio and more sets stay up, but they still shoot multiple days/sets at once and edit them together into separate shows.

Films often shoot out of sequence, but they are at least telling a linear story, nothing like soaps do. The only comparison I can think of is people like Jamie Lee Curtis and Neve Campbell on horror films had a number 1-10 terror scale- how upset are they in the filming sequence because it’s out of order. Carpenter or Wes Craven would give them their number based on what they are shooting right then vs where they are in the overall story.

It’s also just a balance issue. Alexis had three separate scene partners that could have been split up, the stuff with Finn should have been one episode. Then the will/scenes with Diane. Then Ava. Other stories would be woven in around those to make a complete show. And we can’t blame Mulcahey, the show was actively doing this when Dante was shot and in the hospital. Stuff was breathing and beats covered, plus other stories/characters were being used too.

• Members

That's the thing. GH not only shoots out of order, but way out of order, much worse than movies!!! Their continuity people save their lives each & every day. 

Adam J. Harrington & Eva LaRue both were newcomers & both taped their first day, the same day. His John Jagger Cates was on screen in 2 days. She didn't first appear for 3 weeks!

And, while I'm at it, ... If I have to stand alone & die on this hill, so be it. I'm saying now, you are all wrong. Ava is going nowhere! If anyone joins me that's gravy. Ava Jerome is the dame Maura West was born to play! Bring it! I'm ready. I'm pulling for Ava to do her worst! Move over. Dialog to die for & throwing shade & shade being thrown right back! Just yesterday, with Nina & a side of Maxie thrown in for good measure. Then Alexis, I am having such a fine time as a fan.