The Nancy Lee Grahn Appreciation Thread

AllAboutAngst

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NLG completely rocks every scene she is in. I love Alexis! More than that, I want me some hot LoLexis love on that interrogation table. Everytime those two get anywhere near each other, it just vibrates with the tension coming off them. That is one pairing that would be so HOT!

• Members

There are tons of Alexis fans. I belong to the Scrubs board and they all love her and Kristina. They are all heaping hate on Ric and Sam right now. LOL Protecting their Alexis. Anyway, here is food for thought. I put this on Tracy and A&M. It's a big cross fan base campaign to take back our GH. NLG and Alexis certainly need to be represented. She's a phenomenal character with a great actress.

I know this is a bit off topic, but not much. I wanted to post this once in here to try to direct you all to a campaign to fix GH big time and restore the characters, relationships, family and friends we loved so much. I know that Alexis lovers will want to be on board with this. Read on and let me know what you think. You can post here, PM me or email me. If you are into it, we are having each group pick delegates to work on the communications to send. That person will work with all of you to coordinate the communication and timing of the mass mailing. It's time to take back our show and save our Alexis!

One of the things I think all of us can agree upon on this board is that Alexis needs her screen time and her family. Never was this more evident than the past months as she has gone through her cancer crisis. She has such a tremendous story and such great scenes, but they are letting this become the Sonny/Jason and Sam show. Even Tracy has been hanging all over her! While I love Alexis exasperated looks when this happens, I too am exasperated. Why can't we have a storyline without those four characters? They are so overexposed already. Alexis has such great potential with Kristina. She even has potential with Sam if they would just let Sam grow! Why can't Sam say enough and start working with Detective Hottie and get to know her really cool mom? What is going on at GH and what is it going to take to fix this mess? As you all pointed out, if that show had TG, JE, RC, TK, NG, and RH every day of the week, they would be off the charts. You are absolutely right about that. We all talk about it and we all think nothing can be done, but that is not true at all. Please read on. As I said, I won't post this again in here. My intent is not to clog your wonderful Alexis worship post. It's just to make you aware of a campaign that is big picture, but will help all the vets and even the new characters in the end. I love Alexis too and I want her saved from the powers that be.

So, having said that, I say it's time to bring the House of Mouse down on the head of ABC Daytime. I am sick and tired of writing to ABC execs who are married to ideas I am not willing to support. If they can't change, they must go. It is that simple. And, if you think it can't be done, think again. Disney just put in a new CEO who is cleaning house. Everything is under scrutiny, including ABC Media division. Now is when we need to launch a big cross fan base campaign to get them out. There are already several fan bases out there willing to put aside their couple/character campaigning in this bigger picture campaign (they will still do their couple/character campaigning separate from this). The bottom line is that everyone is starting to realize that without a regime change, our couples and characters are doomed anyway.

So, having said that, this is the bottom line. If you want people out, you have to talk money. This is what execs understand and they will pay attention. We have numbers on our side and Disney, for one, is extremely sensitive to campaigns that target Disney visitor numbers. It's hardball time. We need to tell the House of Mouse we've had it and not only won't we be watching GH while this garbage is on, we won't go to Disney either. Please read on. Trust me, this will work.

Every campaign has to focus at its core about the money. Low viewer numbers = low advertiser reach = low profits. It's that simple. Tie your desire for certain storylines to that boat and point out how soap successes are making relationship stories and vets work.

If you don't believe that it's all about the money and Disney (ABC's parent company) is ready to make changes, check this article out. http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/20/news/compa...isney/index.htm

There are some important things in that article. Here are just a few.

This is important to us because not so long ago it was assumed Apple was dead and Jobs with it. Now he's on top and shows he can entice the young market. Another case of an old vet makes a comeback.

Someone got the hint on Primetime and revamped it. We need to do the same. All of these 'hits' revolve around relationships and people in their 20's, mid-30's to 40's. Hardly just the teen set Guza and Frons are married to. Bottom line - someone in charge of primetime finally figured out that Baby Boomers and Xers are a large chunk of the population and they want to see strong characters with strong families in strong relationships. While we're at it, so do young people. When you campaign for your character as part of a friendship and family supported group, point that out and the tie to the primetime shows.

You need to start writing to the parent company, not ABC, and hammering on this. Success elevates stock prices. It's that simple. Yes, they have elevated other lines of business but they are neglecting daytime and they need to get with it. We need to point this out.

If you think that Frons cannot be taken out in a heartbeat, you are very wrong. If Eisner (former head of Disney) can fall after he saved that company in the 90's, anyone can. All it takes is the investors to start yelling and they start yelling when they see bad press in the financial reports. When an executive makes poor business decisions, it needs to be pointed out to the right people - the people who hold the controls, not the exec who is causing the problem or the people above him protecting him. That will never work. You have to take your battle to the people who can actually help you and speak their language - money. That's all they care about and all they know. If it makes money, they will do it. They can't exist on three shows and they know it. There's a big drive at Disney/ABC to have soap-like dramas on at night. They sell. They've alway sold. They know that, so start campaigning to get your stories back by going to the people who are listening.

Think they don't know? Look at this:

If they are selling SOAPNet videos through iTunes, they know that soaps have value. You need to take advantage of that fact.

Basically, run this like you would any takeover. You look for where your prey is bleeding and you go for it over and over again until they topple. Sorry for that analogy, but the bottom line is that you cannot win this war by sentiment. You have to win it by cold-blooded business strategy. Any company on top wants to get further up the ladder to put more space between themselves and their competitors. So give them a way to do it and they will listen.

Remember, if this were Alexis running this campaign, she would take her argument to the people who could actually make a change and she would not be afraid of stepping on some toes along the way (especially Alexis!). She would also use whatever tatic she had to in order to win the game. That is exactly what we need to do.

State your case clearly. Y&R is number 1, yet they are all about relationships and their vets are on all the time. Katherine/Jill and Victor/Nikki have been on that show since I watched in the early to mid 70's. They get plenty of airtime. And Y&R is getting the viewers which equals money. In the meantime we have the mob 95% of the time and we are losing viewers like someone cut our bracheal artery. There's a reason for that and the new head of Disney needs to hear it while he's cleaning house. He's on the war path. Now is the time. If we could get the combined forces of all fan bases to come together for this bigger campaign issue, we would all reap the rewards. Every character would get the benefit as well as every relationship, friendship and family.

I don't know about all of you, but I am sick of begging for time for our beloved characters who have proven their ratings worth. If they won't give us what we want, they have to go. What they are doing does not make ABC money. Awards for writing does not equate to dollar signs. It equates to an expensive individual project for Guza, funded by Frons. It's bad business.

What do you think? Can you join this larger reaching campaign for the good of our families?

Here are the Disney addresses. I think we need to mobilize and send them thousands of letters at once.

Robert A. Iger

President and CEO

Walt Disney Company

500 S. Buena Vista Street

Burbank, CA 91521

[email protected]

Peter Murphy

Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Strategic Officer

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

[email protected]

John Pepper Jr.

Chairman of the Board of Directors

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Fax: 202-689-8562

Judy Estrin

Member of the Board of Directors

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

[email protected]

Steve Jobs

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Fax: 202-689-8562

John Bryson

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Monica Lozano

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

John Chen

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Gary Wilson

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Leo Odonova

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Thomas Staggs

Senior Vice President and CFO

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

David K. Thompson

Senior Vice President

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

Alex Wallau

President of Network Operations & Administration

Walt Disney Company

Burbank, CA 91521

[email protected]

Mike Shaw

Sales and Marketing President

[email protected]

Disney Shareholder Services:

611 N. Brand Blvd. Suite 6100

Glendale, CA 91203

Phone: 818-553-7200

Fax: 818-553-7210

[email protected]

Please contact me and let me know if your group wants to be on board. We welcome everyone. This is not about any character or couple bashing. If we don't change the current regime, they are just going to ruin our characters and couples anyway. This must happen first.

Zanne

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Kim Zimmer who? LOL!

Thanks to Slky, I just saw several episodes of NLG's work and she blew me away. Phenomenal! Now I see what all the hype is all about. She shows so much more than what Kim Zimmer and a lot of the actresses around daytime does by doing a whole lot less. The subtlety, the quiet humor disguising her anger/sadness, the subtext, showing all of the layers of the story (she has cancer, she just found out that her daughter she gave up is alive, but wait, she knows that she slept with her husband, but is keeping that to herself for the sake of her family in case she dies, etc.).... So, I'm just posting in to show my appreciation for this very talented actress and wishing you guys luck in her Emmy quest.

Oh, another thing that I learned is how horrible an actor Maurice Benard is. LOL!

• Members

I'll always love my Nancy. Loved her on Santa Barbara, love her on General Hospital, hell, I even loved her on Melrose Place. I too have met her in person and she is so down to earth and personable. Her face lit up when I mentioned how much I loved her as Julia on Santa Barbara and that I grew up with her. We actually were photographed together by the Soap Opera Magazine (now defunct) photographer, but the pictured didn't make the SSW Issue.

Archived