• Members

Did anyone here watch Season 1 of Gentleman Jack

Please register in order to view this content

when it came out back in 2019? I did. And, I loved it. And, I've been anxiously awaiting the Season 2 premiere! I just checked the IMDb page to see if there was any news when it's going to start. Previously the information only said that it would begin in April. Today it says Next episode April 24, 2022! I'm so excited! If you don't know what it's about, I can help with that. First of all, it's based on a real woman's life. Literally the beginning source material was volumes & volumes of diaries that Miss Anne Lister wrote a code for them & wrote copious amounts in her diaries. If I've understood correctly the code was based half on Physics & half on Greek. She had personal power & wealth that had not been appropriated by her brother or by any man that made it his business to interfere with her. So, she can own land & run the estate. She dresses in men's clothing, which are tailored to her by a tailor. She rides horses, drives carriages and has love affairs with many women. One at a time. I love the theme song & it generally has good music throughout. It's England, but not a city. And, I think, but don't quote me, it is the 1800s. Its creator is Sally Wainwright who is famous for a body of work including Last Tango in Halifax and Happy Valley.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Gentleman Jack Monday Night!

On Monday, the second season of HBO’s historical drama Gentleman Jack premieres. Set in Yorkshire, England, in 1834, a month after they married, Ann Walker remains in York under the care of her doctor while Anne Lister renovates her home Shibden Hall in preparation for her wife to move in. Gentleman Jack: Monday, 10pm on HBO.

Edited by Tonksadora
More info.

• Members

This show is absolutely brilliant and Suranne Jones is a treasure.  I am re-watching S1 for the 4th time and will begin S2, which I've anxiously waited so long, Friday.  Sally Wainwright does not get enough credit.  The woman is a genius! 

Happy Valley is up next.  The final season and I will be sad. 

• Members

I have a love/hate relationship with Sally Wainwright, who has had a ton of glory heaped on her in the past 10 yrs. I hate her, still, for killing off Kate in Last Tango in Halifax, and I think she takes way too long in between seasons! Whlle she takes too long, we wait too long. Everything else in the world, yes, I love her for all of that!

I've been re-watching S01 but I think I'm going to start S02 without finishing up on the first one. I just wanted to see enough to be reminded & whet my appetite. I was drooling a little bit in anticipation yesterday, so I think I'm ready!

• Members

The promo got me so excited.  Looks like the show won't suffer from Sophomore Jinx.  

LTIH - killing off Kate 2 seconds after one of my favorite couples ever got married will NEVER be forgiven, but God help me, I loved Miss Wainwright.  I can't say I will miss this series.  I hope its done because they didn't do Caroline justice after losing her wife.  Just went downhill.  

I think the time she takes between seasons is because she wants to give a good product and waits until she feels she is at a point to where she can write the next series.  I do know for Happy Valley she was waiting for the boy to age because the final series will be a lot about him and seeing how teen Ryan deals with dear old psychotic dad.

• Members

LTIH: Well, when you put it that way, .. yes, I completely agree 100%.

The waits: I'd rather just whine but you have a good point.

I'm very excited about tonight! You're really going to wait till Friday, you said? I will try not to spoil you here tomorrow. I'll just be generic flying high, no specifics.

• Members

Well, I really tho't last night was the premiere of S02! Wrong. Not. Did Not Happen. I was disgusted. I just checked out their IMDb page & the next episode field has now changed to read May 1st. Fortunately thats just around the corner.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Spoiler Free Content

I've just finished watching S2E1 Faith is All and I am entranced all over again. I had forgotten how that woman can walk! When I say she can walk with the best of them I am not exaggerating! It reminds me of when we lived in Brooklyn & I loved the way people walk. Just a temporary implant, there for only 7 years, the best I could do was keep up. The real walkers in Manhattan in the business center during the daytime were simply superb. I'd also forgotten how much she breaks the fourth wall & speaks in asides directly to the audience. I am reminded of the American version of House of Cards.  So, that's two things that are back & are fun again! No sign, a'tall, of Sophomore Slump. I like the new co-lead. I'm trying to remember one person from last season.

5/1 Adding:

Now I have just a few things to say about actual content in the show, so maybe it won't be spoiler free.
Loved the aunt bellowing at her, "Miss Lister WHERE is my niece?!!! Just roaring! And, the way GJ had devised to get Miss Walker away from her family, genius! Capt. Sutherland had gotten 1,000 pounds sterling, I suppose, off of her. AWFUL. Taking advantage. Now.New.Will. Boy, the way she's got it planned they absolutely have to have those reciprocal wills. Dearest Freddy, ... So this ex of hers calls her Freddy. I had a gf nicknamed Fred once. Oh! Her smile when she sees that it is Anne Lister outside approaching. Miss Walker, I mean, of course. And, at the last we see that she is breaking the heart of this person whose name is Maryanna. Sad.

Edited by Tonksadora
Actual content from show.