May 13-17, 2013: Good Week For Y&R and B&B

Toups

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The comic timing and subtlety of Chad Duell, able to work with multiple actors, and Michael's integration with all the different people he is related to across the canvas, including the Quartermaines, having had to grow up fast after a horrific experience in prison; Bryan Craig's range as shown by the contrast between scared Morgan on his first day and the cocky Morgan of later days, Morgan putting a brave face of independence but not knowing who he really is because he was sent off to boarding school and all he really knows is he's tired of his parents fighting; Halley Pullos's authentic, really a teen, Molly, talented writer and compassionate, but perhaps not honest with herself about her feelings; Tequan Richmond's mix of sensitive and brash in TJ, who has had to deal with loss early with his father having died; Jimmy Deshler's Rafe finding his own way too after being orphaned, his mother killed before him by his psycho bio dad, caring about others but not above breaking up another couple for love...

I'm not saying the GH younger set is perfect or even that they can carry the show through the summer. But as you asked, the above is what I like about them -- they're not one-note, they have complexity and dimensions to them, and all of them are portrayed by decent to good actors. It's too soon for me to pass a verdict on Kiki.

They sure beat one-dimensional bad Liz and goody two shoes Sarah of GH 1997 (why I will always not care about Liz -- the poor way she was introduced) -- with atrocious song accompanying a forced Sarah/Nik pairing that went "Me Loving You Loving Me" -- and the awful eyerolling, line-slurring, no-subtlety AMC teens of today.

• Members

I agree that I wish I could see DAYS having some good solid gains over the past couple weeks of ratings.. but I think we are seeing some good solid growth.. The year to year numbers are up (in total viewers, and even more importantly in the most important category.. W18-49 and W 18-34).. That's saying alot considering younger viewers are fleeing network TV in droves for netflix, cable, internet, etc... I think even to stay even in those demos would be a huge accomplishment, but to gain is amazing!! I wonder how many hits nbc.com gets for the daily episodes and how much of a factor that plays into the revenue/income for the show.

• Members

Days is still unwatchable drek. I suppose if you're a newer viewer <1 year, you might find it entertaining, but to anyone who really knows the characters, it's a horrible, horrible, show these days.

I agree that General Hospital wasn't as good 2 weeks ago with the Spew/relish nonsense, but this past week, with Maura & Jane having scenes, it was quite good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a show that I want to tune into immediately every night when I get home. I can't say that about any of the rest of them, including the online ones.

About the demographics, for the life of me I'll never understand why women 18-34 is so damn important to advertisers. Brand loyalty is rare these days, especially among that generation, and even worse, most people I know in that age range typically don't have the luxury of enough disposable income to be able to be that picky about what they buy. They buy what's on sale, period.

• Members

I have watched less than a year, but many who have praised DAYS lately such as JackPeyton, Cat, KMan101, jo.frank, Ira, SouthOfSoap and plenty more in the DAYS thread and this thread are longtime viewers.

On another note, I'm glad you're liking GH too, and agree with you about Ava/Tracy!

About the demos, I don't think 18-34 are as big a deal as 18-49. It is good that DAYS has stabilized in both those, and I hope it's enough to stave off any rumored drastic writing change.

• Members

I'm a longtime DAYS viewer! Lol started in 1982 when I was only 6. I'm currently praising the show as it has become a well written, character driven soap again. Only time I didn't watch was for a period during 2004 when DAYS became Passions like and way too over the top. JER's first DAYS stint was awesome! But his second stint he didn't stick to what made DAYS #2 under his tenure. He instead tried to make the show Passions like and it was horrible.

• Members

GH had me hooked through the Nurses Ball, but it just sucks now. Carlivati has the bad habit of ending all of his stories at once, so you have these lulls and unfortunately I don't find any of the new storylines interesting. I'm not surprised the ratings are down, but I do appreciate that he's featuring new characters instead of going in circles with the same ones.

Archived