K-Pop Appeciation Thread

• Members

@Cheap21 Those charts make me sad because it feels like SM are trying to push Lay further away from being important to EXO and more on his individual commitments. He deserves to have as many lines as Chen in the M version of the album -- after all, he is the only native Mandarin speaker left in the group!

BTW @Cheap21 BEAST dropped their new mv Butterfly! It's a ballad like I've heard them sing before, but the whole group looks so pretty. I feel like it's almost acknowledging the loss of Hyunseung to fans, but that it is also time of moving on in terms of the sad feel of the ballad. It also ends a bit suddenly for me lol. Still, it is only the pre-release and may not be the main single released to promote the album.

And hey, they even gave the pretty one some lines to sing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow! This song gives me definite 12.30 vibes, like it was written by the same songwriters and producers. The end part was unexpected. Just when I thought it was about to finish, they come back with that little... segment, lol. 

In some ways, I don't blame them for going back to the style and sound of one of their bigger hits. 12.30 was a great song, and this def sounds like BEAST. I also get that Beast want this cb to be a success, especially after Hyunseung left and Cube dismantled 4Minute. My only concern is that the audience may view this kind of song as outdated. That is a shame because I am already exhausted by the 1,001 girl groups dressed as cutesy schoolgirls. I am also exhausted by SM's embrace of EDM as the only musical genre in the world. Apart from Monster and Sistar's I Like That, kpop is releasing some boring songs right now.

When is Beast's first live stage? I hope they win some of the music shows. I also want to see what the choreography looks like in a live setting.

Edited by Cat

• Members

LOL...thats bc it was! Good Life (Junhyung and Kim Te Ju ) write and produce 90% of Beast's music. Anyways, I love the album. 10/10. I always say whatever music they put out is their best but thats bc it always is. They are always pushing themselves and improve each time. Outside of the 2 MV releases, I really love When I and Highlight. I can see them performing Highlight as a quick under 2 minute intro song when they go live. Curious has to be my favorite though and I hope they perform that. 

Out of the solos/duet, Junhyung's is my favorite. He needs another EP.

I assume they have their first live stage this weekend as its usually within a week of album release. They did sing it live via stream a couple of days ago

• Members

Beast Music (their Japanese label) has had some activity in the past week. Here are new official photos for them

tumblr_oa999bI0TP1trozgvo1_540.jpg
tumblr_oa999bI0TP1trozgvo2_540.jpg
tumblr_oa999bI0TP1trozgvo3_540.jpg
tumblr_oa999bI0TP1trozgvo4_540.jpg
tumblr_oa999bI0TP1trozgvo5_540.jpg

img_main201607.jpg

They will be releasing TWO Japanese Single albums on July 20, each with 3 songs each

Day

1. Freaking Cute
  2. 最後の一言 -Remix-
  3. #TBM -Acoustic Ver.-

sfEaURp.png

Night

1. Whole Lotta Lovin
  2. THIS IS MY LIFE -Remix-
  3. STAY FOREVER YOUNG -Acoustic Ver.-

ecPHjB2.png

• Members

How are yall not going crazy over Why So Lonely by Wonder Girls?! I liked their last comeback, but they absolutely have killed me with this ultra smooth little bop. I'm also glad they mostly ditched the band style performances, which I think it helping their success this time around. I still miss Sohee, but this lineup is working for me. 

• Members

I dont listen to them. I really dont really get into girl bands and the two that actually resonate with me, 2NE1 and 4MInute pretty much disbanded this year :(

BEAST

They released their two Japanese singles, Freaking Cute and Whole Lotta Lovin

Freaking cute is well...cute. I dont think its as strong as their other material but its grown on me. I love Whole Lotta Lovin. Definitely the stronger of the two.

JUNHO (of 2PM)

He also dropped a new album in Japan, DSMN. Love it. Its better than last year's So Good

CkZvyLBXEAAqOqV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

lol I know, I feel like I have the cursed touch with girl groups given that two of my faves have essentially been sidelined.

Here is the Wonder Girls' Why So Lonely, Cheap. It's pretty catchy and the mv is more fun and tongue-in-cheek than the average gg video. Although the 'rapping' section is atrocious! I prefer Sistar's I Like That. (Also in gg news, Red Velvet are expected to have a comeback in August, while YG is making way for their new -- and imo under-talented -- gg, BlackPink):

And speaking of 4Minute... HYUNA. Her summer album is out. I haven't listened to the album yet although some are saying there are good songs on there. Here is her title mv, though "Eottae?" (How's This?). I don't know... the song is catchy and yet boring? I keep waiting for a hook. The video is ok, though -- and Hyuna gets to make out with a guy in it, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

sorry for the late response but I honestly havent check out her comeback. I dont know if Im bitter over 4Minute getting the axe or just not interested. Maybe a combination of both. In related news though, Jiyoon signed with a new company and will release a solo so I will check her out

BLACKPINK

YG finally debuted their new girl group and I think I like them. They seem to be doing well across the charts. Lisa and Jennie are the standouts. Overall the girls have a pretty generic look outside of Lisa who's look makes you instantly take notice of her

• Members

@Cheap21

OMG I LOVE BLACKPINK RN CHEAP. And Lisa is the one I think I will fangirl over -- I couldn't take my eyes off her!

That is not to say that you cannot stan 2ne1 and BP at the same time. If anything, BP's comeback has made me go back to 2ne1's old songs and relisten, mainly because Boombayah and Whistle are more uptempo while 2ne1 have some classic ballads in their back catalogue (Missing You, Lonely are two of my favourites). I really appreciate Bom's voice in those, also Minzy and CL's.

Out of the two BP releases I really like Whistle. But BBY is catchy too.

• Members

Boombiyah is my favorite. Whistle didnt grab me at first but I dig it now

EXO

they released their repackage. I think Lotto is an autotune mess and nowhere near as good as Monster

CL

Looks like YG lied and no 2NE1 comeback this summer. CL released a new song. I like it. Not sure if I like the video though as it comes across very forced. She needs to be careful bc I can easily see people drawing comparisons to her and Iggy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

@Cheap21: IA. Lotto is an autotune mess and I hate it. I think it's the only EXO I've ever hated (I like Wolf now btw!). 

I am also disappointed in CL's effort. I feel like this would be edgy and exotic in Korea -- in 2005. In the US, it is completely generic. I preferred Hello Bitches a lot more.

Red Velvet had their comeback today. I have no clue what to think about the mv (the styling of Joy and Seulgi in particular is a MESS), but the song is a bop. It has a very classic 80s girl group feel:

Bobby of iKON also released a solo song, and it will be twinned/go up against a solo by Winner's Mino (which hasn't yet been released). Here it is. Definite Big Bang/Dynamic Duo/GD sound:

Edited by Cat