Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my favourite Herman's Hermits' song:

It reached #7 in the UK, but was never released as a single in the US. It did reach the US eventually though, as the B-side to their single "There's a Kind of Hush", and then even managed to reach #35 in the charts.

• Members

It does sort of sound like they are saying this!

"Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" was succeeded at #1 by "Ticket to Ride" by The Beatles, which spent one week at the chart summit: the week ended 5/22/65.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gETqdXI6Klg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

John Lennon wrote "Ticket to Ride" and performed the lead vocals for the song as well (with Paul and George providing backing vocals). In a Beatles first, the record also showcased Paul McCartney as lead guitarist. (Usually that role was fulfilled by George Harrison.)

"Ticket to Ride" met with great critical reception in addition to its commercial success. According to Wikipeida, "Music critics Ritchie Unterberger of Allmusic and Ian MacDonald both describe 'Ticket to Ride' as an important milestone in the evolution of the musical style of the Beatles. Unterberger said, 'the rhythm parts on 'Ticket to Ride' were harder and heavier than they had been on any previous Beatles outing, particularly in Ringo Starr's stormy stutters and rolls.' MacDonald described it as 'psychologically deeper than anything the Beatles had recorded before...extraordinary for its time - massive with chiming electric guitars, weighty rhythm, and rumbling floor tom-toms.'"

Two important events occurred for the Fab Four before they scored their next chart-topper. First, on June 12, 1965, it was announced that the Beatles would receive MBEs (Members of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire). Then, on August 27, John, Paul, George, and Ringo had their one and only meeting with Elvis Presley. The gathering took place at Elvis' Bel Air mansion and was arranged by Colonel Tom Parker.

• Members

Once again, it's the production and not the song. I find their vocals pretty shrill here as well. The Carpenters did a lovely version of it, and Karen and Richard dueting in the chorus is quite effective.

Why they had the band dudes lip synching in parts of this is a mystery to me, as only Karen and Richard sing on the record (Though sometimes double tracked)

• Members

The Beach Boys' second chart-topper, "Help Me, Rhonda," was number one for two weeks: the weeks ended 5/29/65 & 6/5/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OzcjlKCJDnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After "I Get Around" fell from the top spot, the Beach Boys scored two additional top ten hits in 1964: "When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)" (#9) and "Dance, Dance, Dance" (#8). Much more significantly, however, was an event that occurred on December 23 of that year. While on a plane flight to Houston, Brian Wilson suffered a nervous breakdown; he also experienced hearing loss in his right ear. Following the advice of doctors, Brian stopped touring (though he continued to remain with the group in the recording studio). Initially, Glen Campbell was brought in to replace Wilson, but he left the group after six months and was in turn replaced by Bruce Johnston. (In addition to touring, Johnston also participated in the studio.)

"Help Me, Rhonda" featured the lead vocals of Al Jardine, and was the first of two top ten hits for the group in 1965. The other--"California Girls" (which surprisingly only reached #3)--was Johnston's debut single with the band.

1966 would mark a year of dramatic change for the Beach Boys.

• Members

You're welcome, Carl. "Help Me, Rhonda" is a song that has grown on me over the years, to the point of being one of my favorite Beach Boys songs.

The Supremes pulled off an amazing feat when they became the first artist to hit #1 with five consecutive released singles. The trio from Detroit did so with "Back in My Arms Again," which held the peak position for one week: the week ended 6/12/65.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d254QZ6zbNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Back in My Arms Again" was actually recorded before "Stop! In the Name of Love." However, this fact isn't all that surprising when you consider that the song is so very similar sounding to "Come See About Me." Despite being a copycat single, "Back in My Arms Again" is perhaps my favorite Supremes record, due to "intangible" qualities like its highly enjoyable rhythm. Without a doubt, the most notable lyrics of the tune occur when Diana chants: "How can Mary tell me what to do, when she's lost her love so true? And Flo, she don't know, 'cause the boy she loves is a Romeo."

The Supremes' streak of five consecutive chart-toppers would be later broken by both the Beatles and the Bee Gees, who each managed six #1s in a row. Whitney Houston is the all-time record holder on this front, as she soared to the chart summit with these seven consecutive releases:

"Saving All My Love for You" (1985)

"How Will I Know" (1986)

"Greatest Love of All" (1986)

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" (1987)

"Didn't We Almost Have It All" (1987)

"So Emotional" (1988)

"Where Do Broken Hearts Go" (1988)

• Members

This is one of their better songs of the initial 5 hits. Great everything here. And this live performance from May 11, 1965 on Hullaballoo is just awesome, such cool dance steps in the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL15x-PbBh8&feature=related

Hullaballoo was originally shot and broadcast in color, but unfortunately, only a few coloe episodes survive, and most exist as black and white kinescopes. This is what that clip would have looked like in color:

supremes-65-hullabaloo-1.jpg

• Members

That's a neat Hullaballoo clip. It was cool how that show switched hosts on a weekly basis.

When "Back in My Arms Again" was knocked out of the top spot by "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" by The Four Tops, it marked the first time in history that one Motown record succeeded another at the chart summit. "I Can't Help Myself" spent two non-consecutive weeks at number one: the weeks ended 6/19/65 & 7/3/65.

<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhBv_fA1LJs" width="420"></iframe>

The Four Tops were a legendary R&B vocal group known for showcasing the powerful vocals of lead singer Levi Stubbs (born on 6/6/36); joining him were Renaldo "Obie" Benson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, and Lawrence Payton. The four young men formed their act in 1954 and originally called themselves the Four Aims. Unfortunately, confusion with a popular white vocal group known as the Ames Brothers forced a name change. Because they were "aiming" for the "top" (which was how the "Four Aims" moniker came about in the first place), it was thought that the Four Tops would be the best possible new name.

Although each of the Four Tops was from Detroit, they first signed with labels from outside that city, including Chicago's Chess and New York's Columbia. Zero hits came from any of these labels, so they returned back home to sign with Motown in 1963. As was the case with the Supremes, the Four Tops formed a lucrative partnership with the Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team. Their first taste of success was "Baby I Need Your Loving," which peaked at #11 in 1964. Then came the #24 "Ask the Lonely" in early 1965.

The quartet's next top 40 hit would be the unforgettable "I Can't Help Myself." Surprisingly, the tune was recorded in only two takes, which left Levi Stubbs quite upset; Stubbs' objections were overruled by Brian Holland, who was extremely pleased by the recording. For their follow-up, the Four Tops recorded a tune called "It's the Same Old Song" (which peaked at #5), a copycat single that couldn't have been more aptly named. Further top twenty appearances came with "Something About You" (#19, 1965) and "Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over)" (#18, 1966). In the fall of 1966, the group would reach #1 for the second and final time.

While it's very hard to say what my favorite Motown song is, "I Can't Help Myself" just might be it.

• Members

I feel the same way, Carl... It's a song that I get tired of, sometimes. Some Four Tops songs, such as "Bernadette", I NEVER get tired of. This song was a top 40 hit THREE times, the second time for Donnie Elbert in 1972:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IzPFhJdWo&feature=related

And the third time for Bonnie Pointer in 1980:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6V6Jv8sx4I

Archived