Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like Carl mentioned, Cilla did alot of hosting of shows in later years, but she also had her own music series from 1967-1973. In the UK, you had alot of music artists with their own series, but unlike the US... there was like only 9 episodes per season, and some of them ran concurrently with each other. Here's an entire episode of Cilla's show from 1968, it's a good, fast paced entertaining show. No real stupid comedy skits, just singing and dancing (On this episode, they announce the winner of the 1968 Song for Europe that went on the the Eurovision contest):

Now... as far as Gary Lewis is concerned, I never liked his music much, and I heard him on live TV several times, and frankly, he can't really sing. He can carry a tune, just BARELY.

• Members

I don't think Gary Lewis was all that talented, either. However, I really appreciated the innocence of his songs, and "Count Me In" and "She's Just My Style" are two more songs (along with "This Diamond Ring" ) I consider gems. (Yet, I must say that I agree with Carl's assessment regarding "Save Your Heart for Me.")

"This Diamond Ring" was succeeded at the chart zenith by "My Girl" by The Temptations. Despite the fact that "My Girl" has become such an iconic tune, it surprisingly was number one for only one week: the week ended 3/6/65.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ubbIGN_R2SA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Temptations (who were originally called the Elgins) formed as the result of a merger of two other R&B vocal groups: from the Primes came Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams, and from the Distants came Elbridge Bryant, Melvin Franklin, and Otis Williams. (Note that Paul and Otis Williams were not releated to each other.) Shortly after being signed to Motown's Gordy subsidiary label, Bryant quit the group and was replaced by David Ruffin.

As was the case with the Supremes, the Temptations experienced a series of failures until finally--in 1964--they had their first big hit with the #11 "The Way You Do the Things You Do." That record featured Kendricks on lead, as did two follow-ups that became minor top 40 hits ("I'll Be in Trouble" and "Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)"). "My Girl," the tune that would become the group's signature (as well as their all-time masterpiece, IMO), was co-written by Smokey Robinson as a companion piece to "My Guy" by Mary Wells. Robinson wanted his Miracles to record the song, but gave into repeated requests by the Temptations to perform it. Smokey did, however, insist that Ruffin assume the role of lead singer on "My Girl."

Though the Temptations scored a total of four number one hits, their next chart-topper wouldn't occur until October 1969 with "I Can't Get Next to You." In the meantime, several top ten singles were accumulated:

"Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" (#3, 1966)

"(I Know) I'm Losing You" (#8, 1966)

"All I Need" (#8, 1967)

"You're My Everything" (#6, 1967)

"I Wish It Would Rain" (#4, 1968)

"Cloud Nine" (#6, 1969)

"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" (#2, 1969) [A collaboration with Diana Ross & the Supremes]

"Run Away Child, Running Wild" (#6, 1969)

There were also two 1966 singles that failed to make the top ten--the #29 "Get Ready" and the #13 "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"--which became well-known records.

• Members

That is such a great way of putting it, Carl.

The first of four "new" #1 hits the Beatles scored in 1965 was "Eight Days a Week," which held the peak position for two weeks: the weeks ended 3/13/65 & 3/20/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YtuybFrq7Rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ringo Starr was known for his malapropisms, and he (at least once) uttered the phrase "eight days a week." Like what happened when Ringo stated "a hard day's night" (and later, the words "tomorrow never knows"), John and Paul felt such a phrase would make for a good song title. Musically speaking, the most unique feature of "Eight Days a Week" was that it began with a "fade-in."

"Eight Days a Week" did not chart in the U.K., because it never was released as a single there. Instead it was put on the "Beatles for Sale" album. (That album wasn't released in the U.S. until 1987! However, some of the tunes on that album--but NOT "Eight Days a Week"--were included on another LP issued in America at the time called "Beatles '65.") Some of the other songs found on "Beatles for Sale" included "No Reply," "I'm a Loser," and "I Don't Wan't to Spoil the Party." (In the U.S., "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" was the B-side of "Eight Days a Week" and peaked at #39.)

John Lennon was the first of the Fab Four to marry, when he wed Cynthia Powell on August 23, 1962. Ringo became the second to tie the knot, doing so with Maureen Cox on February 11, 1965, shortly before "Eight Days a Week" topped the Hot 100.

• Members

I have to say that "My Girl" is a good song, although it's a song that I never listen to anymore as I'm really sick of it. The Mamas And the Papas did a great cover of it:

And "Eight Days A Week" once again, I like it sung by others.... this version sung live by The Supremes on Shindig is great, and it's interesting to hear each one sing a verse, but Mary totally walks away with this one (They had their album "A Bit Of Liverpool" out at this time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsW9NTfHoos&feature=related

• Members

I really don't like the version of "My Girl" performed by the Mamas & the Papas. On the other hand, "Eight Days a Week" by the Supremes was superb.

"New York's a Lonely Town" most definitely deserved go higher than #32.

As in 1964, the Supremes scored three #1 hits in 1965. (Well technically they had four, but "Come See About Me" initially hit the peak in 1964.) The first of these three was one of their most recognizable and very best: "Stop! In the Name of Love." This classic tune spent two weeks atop the Hot 100: the weeks ended 3/27/65 & 4/3/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJzcGO0qUfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team got the idea for the song as the result of an evening that Lamont Dozier spent with his girlfriend: the two of them were in the middle of an argument when he suddenly interjected the words "stop in the name of love." Inspiration came from other sources as well. According to "The 'Billboard' Book of Number One Hits": "While touring England, the famous hand movement for 'Stop! In the Name of Love' was invented. The Supremes were booked for a live television show but had no choreography prepared for their new single. They ducked into a men's room with Paul Williams and Melvin Franklin of the Temptations and Berry Gordy to come up with the well-known move that resembles a police officer halting traffic."

"Stop! In the Name of Love" was nominated for a Grammy for Best Contemporary Rock & Roll Group Vocal Performance, but lost to the Statler Brothers' "Flowers on the Wall." Nevertheless, it was the group's fourth consecutive release that peaked at #1 (thus eclipsing the previous record of three #1s in a row that the Four Seasons achieved). Everybody was wondering if the next single by Diana, Mary, and Florence could also make it to the top.

• Members

I never knew about how they came up with the hand gesture. That is the first memory I have of the Supremes - seeing those performances in old TV compilations. Girl groups had been around a long time but the choreography and slickness was something the Supremes just made so natural and stylish. It's such a catchy song, and one I never tire of hearing.

For a good example of how long-lasting their music and message were, here's a fun Santa Barbara performance of Come See About Me.

• Members

Stop In the Name Of Love is perhaps their most recognizable hit, although not their biggest. It's one that I still like today, even after hearing it a million times, it has good structure, and good production and vocals. It always did annoy me that everyone and their brother would GREATLY exaggerate the choreography, though! Here they are singing it live on the Sound Of Motown UK TV special, that was organized and hosted by Dusty Springfield (She basically was producer, though uncredited). There was big behind the scenes conflict on this special as Dusty and Martha were VERY close friends, and Dusty idolized her, and basically wanted Martha to be the star of the special, but The Supremes were in the middle of this big roll, and Gordy insisted that the Supremes be featured more prominently on it... and Dusty was not having it. Arguments and ultimatums were exchanged, and eventually the Supremes got their feature spots, but Martha got to sing the duet of "Wishin And Hopin" with Dusty. And when you watch the special, Dusty gives a VERY low key intro to the Supremes, while she bubbles with excitement and enthusiasm when she introduces Martha and the Vandellas.

• Members

This is a little later in 1965 (this is from a February 1966 TV Radio Mirror, but that probably covers late 1965), but will show you some of the trends of that time, along with a very cute photo of the last artists on our chart.

TVRM266003.jpg

TVRM266004.jpg

Archived