B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

I have always wondered about John F. Smith's role as a B&B writer. All the way from the beginning, he has been credited in second place after Bill Bell and when I google him it seems he was associate head writer 1987-2002. And I have always felt that the most noticeable shift in the show happened some time after 2002/2003. So I have to wonder if he provided some "creative stability" when Brad took over as HW. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Smith was an important writer at both B&B and Y&R and worked on both show simultaneously at times. Credit-wise we know very little how the writing team worked from 1987-1993 because script writers did not exist until then. From some interviews we know that Bill Bell sometimes wrote VERY detailed outlines and even drafted some dialogue as part of his head-writing duties. John Smith always seemed to be a lay-outer who cut Bill's story-projections for a certain week into single episodes (breakdown writer) and regularly drafted the dialogue. Brad Bell also served in this capacity from 1989-1993. From at least 1994 to 2001, the writing duties were shared as followed: Brad Bell as headwriter, Jack Smith as breakdown writer and occasional script writer. Then for half of 2002 (basically Sheila's run) John Smith was promoted co-head writer to get a kick start on leadership before becoming lead head writer over at Y&R. He was never credited above Brad Bell, though - unlike those May 1993 episodes!?

For the past decade or so, it seems like Michael Minnis, originally a script writer at both B&B (he wrote most of Sheila's episodes 1996-1998) and Y&R, has taken the John F. Smith role at B&B.

• Members

Thanks! That's a lot of interesting information!

I guess I'm trying to figure out how the show could go from well-crafted storytelling with a "professional" feel (sure, some storylines were better than others, but still basic structural things like shaping a story arc, setup and payoff, dramatic turning points in each individual scene as well as in the overall plots, basic characterization by "showing rather than telling", and so on, were always in place) to the "make-it-up-as-you-go along" rambling poorly paced inconsistent mess that is the show today.

I think that is the most frustrating part of watching the current episodes and the classic ones side by side. It's not even about the storylines or the cast, it's the difference in structure that really gets to me.

• Members

Some time in the early 2000s B&B started to follow the trend to "speed up" storylines. Hence actual built-up fell out of the window, yet there were multiple storylines and at least the climax of these stories was often to die for. Then by 2008 (after the writer's strike headlined by Kay Alden) it started to get really sloppy story-wise and we ended up with mostly one A story and the occasional appearance of other characters in so-called stories which lasted 5 episodes max. By 2020, IMO, the show took a turn for the better by bringing back at least 2-3 actual rotating storylines. Unfortunately, only on very few occasion more than one storyline takes place within one episode. Pacing also still feels off, but this might be linked to the show's production model of always taping at least 2 episodes per day. Therefore two episodes often feel like one big episode stretched to the max, e.g. same characters/similar conversation. The production model was implemented in Spring 2005 leading the longer stuido break around Christmas, late March around the show's b-day and summer (usual late July-August) where the lights are dark for 3-4 weeks at Television City.

Speaking of Karen: it's a HUGE storyline bomb that by spring 1993 the writers have zero interest in the character. Her friendship with Brooke makes absolutely no sense to me after she was made to believe that Ridge is the man of dreams because she is Caroline 2.0. Then, she is working at Spectra and should focus all her energy into making her mark at company - plus, she has that "solid" relationship with Thorne which is based on a lie or at least some not-telling. Befriending Brooke is completely counter-productive to get into the good graces of Stephanie as well. I appreciated that scene with Karen standing up to the Forrester matriarch that she is making her own life choices. Yet, it does not make so much sense in the first that Brooke and Karen spend so much time together. Sally and Brooke could have worked... Here, the writers felt the need to use Joanana Johnson's contract guarantees for something and did not find a better than to make the replacement of Katie, Donna or a nanny who is listening to Brooke's sh*t and gushing about it.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

Yeah, Karen is pretty much in limbo by spring 1993. She is basically just one of several obstacles for Thorne/Macy, and the focus isn't even on her in that storyline either. The problem is that her "romance" with Thorne absolutely does not work on screen (meanwhile, she has like ONE scene with Ridge in this time period and there is decidedly unintended chemistry there). And her friendship with Brooke also does very little for Karen's character development. Oddly, though, Karen seems to connect pretty well with Macy (which in terms of storyline is counterintuitive but it's there. Their brief scene in the bathroom after the food fight, bonding over their mutual misery, loss of dignity, and the stupidity of their living arrangements, was the best part of that entire contrived storyline).

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

Yeah, it was not a good look for either woman (and it made Thorne look pretty bad too). Which is why I basically cheered when they finally saw the light, decided they'd both had it, and teamed up to get Thorne to make up his mind already.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

Latest episode on Videoland is 1670
Storylines:

- Lauren/Scott/Sheila/Eric on Catalina Island

- Brooke/Ridge work on the men’s line

- Taylor helping James Warwick with Sofia

- Anthony Armando has joined Spectra, much to Macy’s annoyance. 

Side note, Kimberlin is very pregnant in these 1993 episodes. Sheila will disappear soon unfortunately. Does anyone remember how long KB was offscreen at that point?

• Members

Not totally familiar with B&B BITD when Joanna Johnson was brought back as Karen, but am I correct in saying that  Ridge/Karen was never explored?

Despite the fact that Ronn Moss/Joanna Johnson had clicked previously and it was an obvious story to have Ridge entranced by Karen due to her resemblance to Caroline and for Karen to be captivated by Ridge,

Even if they didn't want Ridge/Karen as a major couple at least it should have been explored?

• Members

It was explored in exactly the way you described. In fact, Blake Hayes did everything he could to orchestrate a Karen/Ridge relationship based on basically transforming Karen into Caroline. But in the end, he didn't succeed. And I think it was ultimately for the best, because Karen's transformation into a Caroline replica had this somewhat (=very) unhealthy feel to it, and a Karen/Ridge relationship would also have felt too much like it was based on transference of feelings.

Nevertheless, Karen and Ridge still had chemistry, for obvious reasons. And the show struggled (and failed) to find any other viable pairing for JJ.

• Members

The biggest problems of 1990 to 1993 are too much darkness.. I love these years... but Bill Bell became too dark at point. I remember at one time it was unbearable... with Jake and his molestation story... with Stephanie and the homeless... It just went too dark at times... But then there were the amazing storylines... and 1993 is really the best ever... Characters I don't think worked.

1. Karen. Her scenes were very dull and boring... She lacked the Caroline magic... Even though I didn't like Caroline... her leukimia storyline was AMAZING and I think the best one Bill Bell wrote in BB. Karen was a Caroline wannabe and it didnt work.

2.MICK SAVAGE - Do I need to say more... This character was like a black hole... I couldn't wait for him to go away.

3.Felicia - too idiotic and you couldnt root for her.

4. Jake - his story was always plot driven. He was just a device for some socially important storytelling. Didnt have the energy to fit with the other stories.

5. Julie - The Margot repeat.

6. Also Margo after she gave birth... the character went downhill.