Elizabeth Taylor's Family at War

Sylph

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Liz, and like Cat, I've changed my avatar in support of her during this time.

However, this woman's life has been a trainwreck. I don't know how she's managed to stay alive as long as she has. She's really a survivour in some sense.

At her peak, she was the most powerful, beautiful, and dramatically gifted actress in Hollywood. Her tumultuous personal life can never take away from her iconic status as Hollywood royalty.

I'll probably be reading the memoir though. :lol:

• Members

Looks-wise, I'd say somewhere in the mid 90's. Because up until then, even though she had health an substance abuse problems, she still looked good and not just for her age.

Elizabeth has always been famous for her personal life as much as she was for her talent (which has had so much of), but I think her personal life really started eclipsing her professional life somewhere in the mid 70's. She's still a Hollywood legend and has nothing left to prove professionally as she's done it all though.

And of course, she is also a humanitarian, which she never gets enough credit for. She's probably done more for AIDS charities than anyone ever.

• Members

Liz's life has been a movie. If her memoirs are turned into a movie years from now, the actress who plays her will be very lucky, assuming the casting is right.

Even though Liz said otherwise, and even though at first many thought she was miscast and "too beautiful and young" for the role, I always though there was/is a lot of Elizabeth Taylor in her Oscar-winning role as Martha from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Mike Nichols also owes his entire film career to Liz, as she wouldn't do the film unless he came on as director (and it was the first film he ever directed).

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nInE5TITzE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is a truly great movie and one of my personal favourites and the greatest performance of Liz Taylor's career, aside from the movie that has been her life.

I think you are absolutely right, there was/is a lot of Elizabeth Taylor in Martha. Two faces of the same coin.

• Members

She didn't have any formal training in acting, or did she?

Has she ever spoken about whether she feels more American or more English, given that, as you all know, she was born in North West London to American parents?

• Members

She was a product of the studio system as a child actress. I remember Judy Garland commenting in an old interview about her and Liz being friends from a young age and how MGM had mapped out their lives and training.

I guess she wasn't classically trained as an actress, and much of it was just natural raw talent.

She said in Larry King a few years ago that she's both, and has always connected with her English roots. She spoke of being very said when her parents returned with her to the US when she was 7.

• Members

Some of you might have already read this, but this is Liz's last interview before her current health problems. It was printed about a month ago. Kim Kardashian isn't that bad of an interviewer to my surprise...

In some ways, it kind of feels like a farewell interview from our dear Liz. :(

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/magazine/feature-articles/kim-kardashian-elizabeth-taylor-interview-0311

• Members

She's prob (as cliche as it is) my fave classic actress, just like Monty Clift, her unreciprocated love, is my fave classic actor--and I'm sorry to hear about this mess, though I would love a memoir (I loved the piece about her and Burton in Vanity Fair a few months back--she definitely was far more open than she has been in a while). I actually though think she was miscast in Virginia Woolfe--she does a GREAT job, but she was still too young (it's a shame Uta Hagen didn't get to create her stage performance, but she never really made it to movies--at least her performance was preserved on record).

And just cuz, I have to post this clip...

:wub:

Oh and...

Archived