Soap Barometer: Where Are We At?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm basically down to just GH and occasionally AMC. I don't get a good signal for CBS in apartment, so I hardly ever watch Y&R, but I usually stick to the HD stuff unless certain shows have red-letter days(i.e. Beth drowning on B&B ).

Only way I'd give up GH is if their directing and scriptwriting started to just majorly suck. While some people only watch for "the scenes" and not stories, I prefer to watch for the execution. And GH has killed more than an electric chair in Texas since their move to HD. It wouldn't bring in new viewers, I completely agree with everyone who says studio upgrades to HD are a waste of money in such a bad economy. But I think it adds a level/element of professionalism that most people wouldn't expect from daytime. Even sh!tty Y&R.

Nothing is more of a turnoff to me than seeing a pixelated, grainy, overly lit set in Standard Definition 4:3(DAYS THIS MEANS YOU!).

For my soap viewing habits to improve in the near future, I've got to have a show that just looks good. That's really all I need at this point. That may change later, but really that's all I want. And aside from, maybe ATWT, none of the other non-HD soaps even remotely look good.

• Members

I'm down to AMC and even that has become really boring. Painfully boring. The last time I was this bored with the show was during the interim period between McTavish and B&E...when we were supposed to be excited to tune in the next day and see what Derek would order at the Comeback. And that interim period was even slightly more engaging than this one.

And I'm worried the writing is going to continue to be non-compelling when Kreizman and Swajeski's stuff starts, because in all their interviews they're emphasizing mainly how they're going to focus on the day-to-day activities of the characters: Will Amanda be able to find a babysitter when Fusion calls her in unexpectedly? How much will Krystal change the menu at BJ's? Don't miss a minute of AMC!

• Members

Currently, the only soap I'm watching is EON (borrowed a friend's DVD). Seriously. I quit Y&R with the Sarah reveal. (I was teetering, but that pushed me over.) Haven't really missed it.

Will miss ATWT, but I'll only return for special episodes and the last couple of weeks.

Too funny about "The Plan to Save Days" I was just thinking about the annual magazine cover after the latest ratings slide! Hope it gets it's act together.

I never want to see anyone's favorite show cancelled. Many people, like me, have invested years following their stories and it's just a shame.

Archived