Article: Ebbs and Flows of ABC Daytime

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Frons's name wasn't even being bandied about at this time.

The Shapiro years were poor for ABC soaps. I had no idea just how much worse they would end up getting.

Those of you who remember all the fan reaction and your own thoughts back at this time -- what did you think Guza's return to GH would be like? Were you nervous? Hopeful?

I thought his 98-2000 run sucked, it was painfully slow, one-dimensional, and stilted, nothing ever happened and so many characters were damaged, but I had no idea of the absolute trash he and Pratt would belch up when they started in 2002. I was in disbelief at that Rick Webber story. Even now I am, eight years later.

• Members

I had mixed feelings. I came into GH under Guza in 2000 and liked what I saw. Not because it was enthralling, gripping storytelling -- but because it was different than AMC. I had no prior knowledge of GH until 2000, so I had nothing to compare Guza's version to. It's no secret I hate McTavish, and not to mention that she came in to demote MVJ... She didn't stand a chance. Her clock was ticking the moment I heard she was "consulting." So when Guza (and Pratt) came back, I was thrilled JUST because it meant one of the worst head writers in my opinion was knocked out of another job at ABCD.

• Members

Yeah, I didn't think McTavish's run was very good -- Angel and Sally Struthers and toxins, oh my. I didn't think it was as bad as what had been at other times in GH's recent history but it was poor. The only story I liked from that time was Courtney/AJ.

• Members

Supposedly, Frons is so doggedly loyal to Guza (and Pratt) because as his buddies, they recommended him for the ABC job.

The JFP/Megan McTavish GH was unwatchable, hilariously so, and at that time they were absolutely right to get Guza back. Or so I thought, but I liked a lot of his first run. Unfortunately, it became a mess with no one to keep him in check.

Archived