The Suds Report

• Members

I wouldn't mind the shows being streamed/available for download whenever (people have already jumped on that bandwagon over at YouTube and before you know it, the networks will start swooping down and removing all of the soap vids with copyright claims). But that's in ADDITION to them appearing on TV in a daily spot. I don't think most people are disciplined enough to schedule their own time to sit and watch the soaps on the computer, it's one thing catching up with a dvr'd primetime show that'll also be coming out on dvd, but before you know it, fans will be weeks behind in their soap viewing and will perhaps just give up.

Geesh, sometimes I fear the future of daytime will be color bars and infomercials. I hate how they act like no one with a brain is home during the day and you can just slap anything on the idiot box to keep the feeble-minded entertained. There needs to be some form of scripted drama (reality show jokes aside) on television during the day, period, two half-hour shows for all I care. People are going to want a break from court and games shows. It may look bleak for now, but there will most certainly be a rebirth (whether that's ten, twenty, thirty years down the road...).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This will all change with the technology.

In our house, if for some reason the DVR didn't capture the show, we just hook up the laptop to the LCD TV and then stream the HD feed off cbs.com. While we have to watch the commercials, that's typically less than 3 min/episode...which is a fair deal to us.

As more people have that capability...as TVs more routinely connect with the internet...I think the internet becomes a more viable delivery mechanism. Indeed, when we subscribed to Netflix, that's how we saw all of our "watch it instantly" films.

• Members

That sounds a lot like our house, though we're too lazy to hook the computer up to the TV, we just watch it full screen on the computer monitor. We watch a lot of movies and TV from Netflix and Amazon through our Roku, and we've even cancelled our cable since we can watch all of our VH1 and A&E shows online for free and can pay a coupla bucks to watch any "hit" HBO/Showtime series, or just wait for it to come out on dvd. And like you said, the commercials are minimal with online viewing, annoying, but minimal. And I never ever worry about missing the soaps these days, some good fan will have most certainly uploaded the episode to YouTube, so I guess what I'm saying is that I worry about/wonder what will become of TV? More and more, it looks like TV is becoming the middle man as we delve further into this computer age. It's mind boggling. Even pay cable channels seem to almost be giving themselves away these days on the net, and how much money through ad dollars can a network really make online vs. in primetime? I think it's a bad idea to make the world TOO convenient, how many of us rely on the 10 o'clock news every night even when we only half listen? People will get their news from brief glimpses at the Yahoo homepage if they even care to glimpse.

• Members

I haven't watched the 10 o'clock news, aside from the occasional need to check the weather (since the Weather Channel is now on an endless loop of "Great Flood of 1830" and "Tornado of 2003 - watch Lurlene tell us about her horror when Fluffy went flying"), in years.

I think that it's smart of the networks to make as much available as they can because I think we're at the point where, aside from a certain core audience, if a lot of people have to choose between only getting to see a show on TV, or missing it if they have something more important to do, then they're more and more likely to just skip it.

I assume most people do still watch through their TV, as otherwise the big media conglomerates would be even more desperate to try to price gouge by putting bandwidth caps or charging for Youtube and Hulu (when they do that, I think they will lose in the long run -- a lot of people will choose not to watch over paying a fee).

• Members

The story with Nuke would be great if the actor playing Noah could pull it off but he can't. I am liking Fish and Kyle better than Noah and Luke. The whole Dorian mocking gay marriage was dumb. I didnt care for the storyline. I thought it was rather insulting.

• Members

I am so shocked that Damian and Lily are going to adopt Noah. Can they do that?! I feel so bad for Noah. Can Jake pull it off? Based on what I heard, I think he is going to. Based on the small clip I saw, Jake's reading of the lines "I can't see anything" were spot on. It wasn't wildly flailing and over the top. Normally Van Hansis outacts him, so we'll see if this continues to be the case. Kyle and Fish are cute, but they are lacking in substance.

Archived