The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't know if the revival has been on yet. I agree that with today's crap music it wouldn't be the same and they would get some current smarmy star to host. Back then game shows were so classy with great hosts like Jim Lange, Allen Ludden, Jim Perry, Bob Eubanks, Wink Martindale etc...Today when game shows are revived, they make them crass and vulgar. 

• Members

Anyone see the new Double Dare on Nickelodeon yet? It’s a nearly perfect revival. The host is great, Marc is there as an onscreen announcer, the questions are appropriately difficult, and the obstacles are a mix of old and new. The contestants aren’t annoying, and the music and set are strongly based on the original but still modern. Very good job, Nickelodeon!

• Members

I need to check it out! A lot of people still didn't have cable in the mid-late '80s and it was a HUGE deal in my elementary school when FOX started airing Double Dare after school. There was another kids game show called Fun House hosted by J.D. Roth and a swishy heavyset announcer named Tiny. Lots of fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hot damn at that Hot Potato music. That could have burning up disco floors all night long.

I really love Bill Cullen. To me he stands out compared to many game show hosts of that era, who often seem phony and patronizing and at times just outright creepy. He and Alan Ludden are the two I'd say are the best.

Archived