Another World

• Members

I wish they'd done this. I have seen little of Maisie but what I have seen, I think she'd be a good match for Vince. Weren't they hinting for a while at Ada/Vince when Duke Stroud was in the role? Maisie was like a younger Ada.

Vince and Mary, I didn't think they had a lot of chemistry. I don't think I ever truly believed that the Mary we saw had been the devoted wife and mother who liked to go bowling. Even after she got her memory back I didn't believe it.

Ben probably would have been a better fit for the Lisa/Jamie/Vicky story than Jamie was. Jamie should have been too old for that business and he came off like a dumbass the entire time.

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I want to say it was about 3-4 years into Laura Malone's run as Blaine that they made her sympathetic, Carl. It wasn't early, at least by today's standards; and it was done gradually, over time, much like Rachel before her.

I wouldn't call what Blaine had a rape by redemption story; although the rape definitely contributed to her redemption arc. She was raped by Jordan Scott, club-owner/pimp/sleazebag. I don't think the rape itself was to "save my man with sex"; rather, months later, when Scott was murdered, it was thought that Blaine murdered Scott to save herself and Sandy. I think the rape occurred when Scott caught Blaine looking for evidence against him in the house they shared.

• Members

Thanks. For some reason I thought she had to have sex with him to save Sandy.

I thought they made her a heroine when they put her with Sandy, but it's tough to tell as I haven't seen a lot of it. For instance I didn't see her anywhere in that hostage crisis at the Cory cabin. Maybe Sandy and Jamie were only focused on Cecile then.

Was the gaslighting story after she'd already been redeemed?

• Members

What was always interesting to me was that Blaine and Cecile had sort of changed places.

I'll never forget the confrontation scene between Mac and Cecile after he found out she had conspired with Alma Rudder to gaslight Blaine. Mac, to that time, had championed Cecile; but when he found out about the gaslighting, he eviscerated Cecile. Fantastic soap, IMO.

• Members

Louise's exit was one of many, many factors over a number of years which ultimately contributed to my walking away from AW. She was a wonderfully unique character, played to perfection by an excellent actress. Like so many of the characters from that time, I can still hear her in my mind.

• Members

I love her voice. It's like honey and spice mixed together. I also like the way she calmly goes through so many scenes. It's a good contrast to the volatile Mac and Rachel.

I think the family missed her too. As much as I liked Vivien I don't think she fit in very well when they tried to have her work for the Corys.

• Members

From what I remember of Blaine and from watching some of the 80's episodes on AOL, she became more sympathetic when she hooked up with Jerry Grove. (It was around the same time Cecile was becoming a total bad girl.) Unfortunately, Blaine was torn by settling into normalcy with nice guy Jerry or finally getting the high life she wanted by getting involved with creepy Jordan. She had shades of grey which made her so interesting. She wanted to be good, but temptation and wanting "things" got in her way. She made bad choices.

She loved sweet Jerry, but liked what Jordan offered and was afraid of him. She and Sandy didn't get involved until awhile later. After Jerry went whacko and got carted away. They were friendly, but Blaine kind of drifted around after the rape and Jordan's murder. I don't recall it as a "rape redemption" even though I did feel sorry for her.

When she and Sandy finally got involved, she started becoming more one-dimensional and a total good girl. I guess they wanted her to be the opposite of Cecile who was the bad girl. I didn't see the Alma Rudder story, but I assume being gas-lighted and victimized made Blaine a total heroine. Isn't that how it usually happens hence your original question? :D

• Members

Original Jerry I loved. He was handsome. A little too nice, but a good solid leading man. I loved his friendship with Larry and Clarice.

They recast him with an unappealing, wooden actor which I think killed any chance of a reunion with Blaine. Then he got hit in head or something and went psycho, stalked Clarice and raped her. THAT upset me. I was a big Clarice fan and I hated seeing her victimized. I hate when they do that on shows, especially to someone sweet and innocent like Clarice.

• Members

I don't know if he was fired. Incidentally, I was thinking of the second Jerry Grove, Kevin Conroy. I had to look him up on the Another World homepage. He's the one I liked.

I didn't know there was a first actor. I don't even remember him.