Another World

• Members

That works because it was in 1982. Why is Illinois bad? Or just bad because Michigan had previously been mentioned? 

It is bothering me that they knew to teach Pete how to write for soaps but somehow forgot that knowledge for Jacker! Of course, Pete was very vocal about not knowing how. Hmm. Maybe she was so busy saying what they wanted to hear that some facts got missed. Yes, I am very dubious about her account of herself. 

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I never remember who wrote what when I recall characters and stories that I enjoyed.  But, given @Xanthe's list, I must have liked her writing because I thought the Bob/Henrietta/Quinn triangle was excellent.  A great use of Black characters, that were written in a culturally specific way, which was interesting for the time.

I like that period of Jamie's life when his character most closely resembled Rachel.  A troubled artist (writer) who was driven by a desire for the love of someone, who was besotted by another.  I also think the inclusion of his drug addition was well written because it seemed in keeping with his character and made him more vulnerable.  Truly a shame that latter versions of the character never reflected on their sobriety.  In fact, I recently watched a scene where Jamie and Lisa drank champagne, and it felt so odd to have no mention of his struggle with addiction (especially when he worked in a hospital).

Stacey and Cass were the best version of Winthrop siblings.  And Alma freaked me out as a boy.

So, while we can never know her exact responsibility, I'd have to give her credit for creating some great character moments.

• Members

I had always hoped they would recognize Bay City as being a real city, by putting it officially in Michigan. Especially since they had used a map of Michigan a few years earlier as part of a storyline.  So when Julia announced she was headed to Illinois, I was disappointed.   After that, it seemed Bay City kept getting closer and closer to Chicago. And by the time Reginald Love arrived, he stood on the balcony of Tops restaurant and said he could see the Chicago skyline from there. So at least for a short time, Bay City must have been a suburb of Chicago.  Later writers dropped that, I think.

• Members

I don't think they did.  I don't remember it, anyway.

But the set used for Harry Shea's house was actually Ada's livingroom.  And this was while Ada and Nancy were still living in Ada's house. Strange, huh?  By that time, we only saw Ada in her kitchen, and I guess TPTB thought no one would remember her livingroom.  So they gave it to the Shea family.  LOL.  But it was exactly the same set.  

• Members

So was anything changed in Ada's living room to be repurposed as the Shea's? Like ornaments, sofa etc? That lattice work at the entrance is quite distinctive and I'm sure even viewers who didn't pay much attention to sets would have noticed.

Just thinking if Harry Shea had have been anew love interest for Pat, there would have immediately been more connection. Maybe play a class conflict thing.

Dropping Pat was such a mistake. Beverly was a very attractive woman, good actress, long standing cast member and Pat had been married once only, so plenty of scope for a new romance.

She could have been the link to a new family a la Jill on Y&R with the Abbotts.

• Members

@Efulton excellent teamwork finding the exact episode so quickly - hats off to you!

Isn't it odd watching an episode from 1982 and yet it feels like an antique?  AW was still using organ music for the background theme.  The dialogue does not feel contemporary.  And I don't think the very wooden performance by Edward Power as Harry helped.  The man's wife just blew up in their driveway, and he doesn't connote any trauma or sadness.  Corrinne Jacker could have been writing a Pinter play and that guy would still not be very interesting. 

By contrast, 1982 Edge of Night feels very modern.  Except for the fashion, it would be indistinguishable from anything in daytime today.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Mary did do some social work. Off the top of my head I think that was how the McKinnons came to be caring for the little girl Becky. She also counselled John Hudson when his storyline started to dig into his Vietnam PTSD, and worked with Pilara, which was the introduction of Reuben. Of course both of the latter occurred after Mary was firmly back together with Vince and Reginald long dead.

Who was the older mother? Was it Clarice? The only baby born onscreen in late 1982 was Jeanne Ewing. (Maggie had been born in April and Cecile seems even less likely. I suppose the baby might not have been carried to term though.)

Edited by Xanthe

• Members

Nancy was 8 years old by 1982 and Ada is clearly not pregnant in that episode.

So, it would have been Clarice, assuming that since she had lived in Bay City since 1975, she was styled as an older mother, and there were complications with pregnancy.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift