Need some help

• Members

As you guys know, I'm interviewing some soap performers through facebook. Both of them, Michael Laibson and Richard Backus have agreed to answer my questions but what would you like me to ask them.

For the record, here are their CV ;)

Michael Labison

- Producer of "As The World Turns" (1984-1987)

- Executive Producer of "Another World" (1988-1993) [he wrote the show during the 1988 strike]

- Senior Producer of "All My Children" (1993-1995)

- Executive Producer of "Guiding Light" (1995-1996)

He is also said to have been asked by Procter & Gamble to be EP of GL again in 2004.

Richard Backus

- Played Jason Saxton on "Lovers & Friends" / "For Richer, For Poorer" (1977-1978)

- Played Ted Bancroft #2 on "Another World" (1978-1979)

- Played Barry Ryan on "Ryan's Hope" (1980-1981)

- Played Dr. Russ Elliot on "As The World Turns" (1984-1985)

- Script writer for "As The World Turns" (1988-1989)

- Associate Head Writer of "As The World Turns" (1989-1993)

- Co-Head Writer of "As The World Turns" with Juliet Law Packer (1993-1994)

- Associate Head Writer of "One Life To Live" (1995-1997)

- Associate Head Writer of "Another World" (1997)

- Associate Head Writer of "One Life To Live" (1998-2004)

- Script Editor of "Days of Our Lives" (2007-2008)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FYI, Laibson was not EP of ATWT from 1986-88. He may have been some sort of producer, in fact I seem to remember that being where he came from, but Robert Calhoun was the EP at that time.

If it's not too late, I would love to hear his thoughts on any/all of these questions:

Ditto the question about how the decision to bring back Iris came about. Also, were there originally different plans for what the character would be doing that got changed by unforeseen factors, such as the unexpected loss of Doug Watson?

To what extent did Mac's death impact the show's stories overall? It was obviously a huge loss, and it happened when the character was more central to the stories than he had been in years, and DW's passing seemed to hit a lot of his co-stars hard personally. What would have happened with Rachel, Iris, Paulina, and/or the 25th anniversary episodes had Mac been around?

What are his thoughts on Harding Lemay's brief time as head writer, and on Donna Swajeski's stint? What did each writer bring to the table? What kinds of stories did he most like executing? How did he feel about the show's direction when he left, at the beginning of Peggy Sloane's tenure as head writer?

How did working at NBC when he was EP of AW differ from other shows he worked on? To what extent was NBC and P&G involved in the process?

There were some great sets at AW during his time there that really made the show look different than just about any other soap. What were they going for with the set design and who was involved in that?

Was there anything he wished he could have done at AW that never got off the ground?

Did he watch AW after he left? What were his thoughts on the various directions the show went in?

AW was probably in danger of cancellation before he was working there, and years later it was ultimately canceled. What are his thoughts on what led to that? How could it have been avoided? (I would wonder the same thing about GL, but he was there for a much shorter time and far longer before cancellation happened so I don't know to what extent he has an opinion on that.)

How did his GL stint after he left AW come about?

What were some stories/moments that he enjoyed producing at GL?

What are some things he would have done differently at GL if he could go back and/or he had gotten to do them the way he wanted to in the first place?

Were there any performers/characters at GL or AW that he wished he had been able to showcase more but, for whatever reason, could not?

He hasn't been an executive producer of a soap since leaving GL over 10 years ago. What has he been up to? Would he want to return to the genre, and if so under what circumstances?

Thanks so much! This is fun.

• Members

It was not a high point, but in hindsight it seems to me like it was a blip on the radar screen in terms of what came later that hastened GL's demise (and earlier decisions that had much more of an impact longterm than anything Laibson did). I think someone had some good ideas but something got lost in the shuffle (bringing back Reva and Quint and Nola and recasting Amanda probably looked good on paper). It wasn't even the worst Megan McTavish head writing stint, and other EPs have rebounded from such a collaboration and gone on to work again, but he's never worked in soaps since that I know of, and certainly not as EP. From an aesthetic standpoint I would say he was a top-notch producer, and it's hard to judge the story decisions when both shows were under great strain with dangerously low ratings and increasing scrutiny from suits at the time he was in charge. For that matter, I have mixed feelings about his time at AW, but he was there for some historic points, as he was at GL to a lesser extent. I'm curious to hear what he has to say.

• Members

GL just reeked of stupidity to me during this tenure, sure, worse was to follow, but I think this is the real beginning when everyone knew the show was probably going to be unsalvageable. After a beautiful start to the 90's, GL became a boring, stupid, all over the place show by 95-96. But again, things would get worse later on. But that was the case with all of the P&G soaps too.

As for an aesthetics point of view, I hated the show under his leadership. I noticed the shift in production values the minute Jill Farren Phelps was switched to AW. Gone was the beautiful moody lighting, in its place was this dull bright shade that made everything look tacky. I really think his aesthetics approach was a downgrade from the JFP produced era. Rauch would light the show in a brighter way, but the overall aesthetics during the Rauch era were top-notch, IMO.

• Members

Michael was only a producer from 1984-1987. He wasnt a senior producer. He was gone by 1988. John Valente was producer in 1988.

Richard was also a script writer for ATWT before 1989. I know he was a script writer in 1988.

• Members

Thanks for the correction, I'm going to edit my initial post.

I can add someone to the list : Sally Sussman Morina has agreed to let me interview her :D:P

Sally Sussman Morina

- Writer and storyline consultant for "The Young And The Restless" (mid 1980s - 1989)

- Creator, executive producer and head writer of "Generations" (1989 - 1991)

- Associate Head Writer of "As The World Turns" (1994)

- Script Writer of "Another World" (1996)

- Associate Head Writer of "Days of Our Lives" (1997)

- Co-head Writer of "Days of Our Lives" (1997-1998)

- Head Writer of "Days of Our Lives" (1998 - 1999)

- Storyline consultant and associate Head Writer of "The Young And The Restless" (2005-2006)

Archived