AW Why was Irene Dailey (Liz Matthews) released from her contract in 1994?

• Members

Why Was Irene Dialey (Liz), fired back in 1994.

The last years she was on the show she was hardly used at all, why?

Liz was a fun and great character played by a great actress.

Anyone know why she was released from her contract back in 1994?.....

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Her character was ruined anyway.

What was a true villian and a b*itch to be reckoned with in the 60's and early 70's was turned into just a meddlesome old woman under Harding Lemay. She went from being a wealthy woman too to working as Mac Cory's secretary and I never understood that either and no explanation was ever given.

it is not that Irene Dailey could not have played Liz the way she was with Audra Lindley and Nancy Wickwire, but they chose not to write her that way anymore.

I never understood it and I never cared for the role as much anymore either. And although I think Irene Dailey is a fine actress, I think her win of Best Actress in 1979 is one of those times when the Emmys got it totally wrong. Dailey was not a lead actress at that point. She was supporting and her win just robbed a more deserving actress of the Best Lead Actress win that year.

IF she had won it for Supporting I could have understood but not for Lead.

• Members

Didn't she come back in 1987 (when AW reruns began on SoapNet)? I remember her being Mac's secretary and never much of anything else. Blink and you'd miss her. She was NEVER used.

Was 1994 when Phelps began her ageism? During her run no one over 50 was on contract. She fired Barbara Berjer, David Hedison, etc. It was horrible.

Archived