Who are "The Best of the Best"?

• Members

wow, so many on this list have me scratching my head. Marcy Walker? She was fine as teen bitch Liza, but it was the character that was great moreso than the actress, and her return IMO was sort of flat. Nancy Lee Grahn? A fine supporting actress, but has failed to carry even a single decent story in the five or so years since she became supposedly a lead on GH. I can't think of a single story she starred in that rose from terrible to even mediocre thanks to her presence. Deidre Hall is another one that confuses me. I like Marlena fine, but I can't see where DH is this giant talent.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me:

Actors: Anthony Geary, Charles Keating, Christopher Bernau, David Canary, Douglas Watson, George Reinholt, Henderson Forsythe, James Mitchell, Jed Allan, Joel Crothers, Jordan Clarke, Joseph Gallison, Justin Deas, Larry Bryggman, Larry Haines, Michael E. Knight, Michael Zaslow, Nicolas Coster, Peter Bergman, Sheppard Strudwick, Stephen Schnetzer

Actresses: Ann Flood, Beverlee McKinsey, Constance Ford, Denise Alexander, Eileen Fulton, elizabeth Hubbard, Emily MacLaughlin, Erika Slezak, Genie Francis, Gillian Spencer, Heather Tom, Jada Rowland, Jane Elliot, Jeanne Cooper, Joan Copeland, Judith Chapman, Judith Light, Julia Barr, Kim Zimmer, Leslie Charleson, Lisa Brown, Martha Byrne, Mary Fickett, Mary Stuart, Meg Mundy, Robin Strasser, Rosemary Prinz, Ruth Warrick, Susan Flannery, Susan Lucci, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Tudi Wiggins, & Victoria Wyndham

Producers/Writers: Agnes Nixon, Bridget & Jerome Dobson, Claire Labine, Douglas Marland, Eileen & Robert Mason Pollack, Elizabeth Levin, Frank & Doris Hursley, Gordon Russell, Harding Lemay, Henry Slesar, Irna Phillips, Irving Vendig, Labine & Mayer, Margaret DePriest, Orin Tovrov, Pat Falken Smith, Sam Hall, Tom King, William J. Bell, Wisner Washam, Betty Corday, Erwin Nicholson, Gloria Monty, H. Wesley Kenney (only producer to be nominated for Best Series for ever show he worked on), James Young, Jill Farren Phelps, Joseph Stuart, Lucy Ferri Rittenberg, Mary Ellis Bunim, Paul Rauch, Robert Calhoun, Roy Winsor, and Ted Corday

• Members

Someone else named great characters. Here is who I would list as great characters in history of daytime soaps:

Adam Chandler (AMC)

Adam Drake (EON)

Barnabas Collins (DS)

Ben Harper (LOL)

Cass Winthrop (AW)

Cecile de Poulignac (AW)

Delia Reid (RH)

Iris Carrington Wheeler (AW)

Joanne Gardner Barron (SFT)

Julian Hathaway (WTHI)

Katherine Chancellor (Y&R)

Lisa Miller Hughes (ATWT)

Lucinda Walsh (ATWT)

Luke Spencer (GH)

Nola Dancy (Doctors)

Opal Gardner (AMC)

Phoebe Tyler Wallingford (AMC)

Rachel Davis (AW)

Reva Shayne (GL)

Roger Thorpe (GL)

Steve Frame (AW)

Tad Martin (AMC)

Todd Manning (OLTL)

• Members

Executive Producers

Robert Calhoun-Set in motion the golden ages of two P&G soaps.

Wendy Riche-She truly got the genre and it's a shame she's not the EP of GH right now.

Edward J. Scott-He's Ed Scott for christ sake of course he's the best of the best.

Unsung heroes: Paul Rauch..... :lol:

Writers

Bill Bell-Bell had a way of setting up stories that would turn out to be larger than life and deep in character and emotion. If you ask me the Bell's should have cloned the guy.

Agnes Nixon

Douglas Marland

Honrable mentions: Nancy Curlee, Wisner Washan, and Sheri Anderson.

• Members

Actresses:

susan lucci

robin strasser

Melody thomas scott

Erika slezak

Julia barr

Jess walton

nancy lee graham

Anna stuart

susan flannery

constance towers

Victoria Rowell

Ruth Warick

Jane Elliot

Debbie morgan

Jeanne Cooper

Actors

David canary

Darnell Williams

vincent irizarry

eric braden

Peter bergman

Michael E. Knight

James Mitchell

Justin Deas

Michael Zasglow

anthony Geary

• Members

I am not getting much response to this at my site:

Here is my original post with a change:

Over at my site (SoapsWEB) I am running this as a contest for July.

Here is the post from over there:

For the month of July I will be conducting a Soap's Best of the Best Contest.

In order to participate please PM me who you feel are the top 10 to 20 in each of the categories listed below:

Best Daytime Soaps of All Time

Best Daytime Actors of All Time

Best Daytime Actresses of All Time

Best Daytime Couples of All Time

Best Daytime Writers of All Time

Best Daytime Producers of All Time

Best Daytime Misc. Personnel of All Time (set designers, hairstylists, casting directors, etc.)

Best Daytime Villians/Villianesses of All Time

Best Daytime Hero/Heroines of All Time

Best Daytime Matriarch/Patriarchs of All Time

Best Daytime Psycho Characters of All Time

Best Daytime Characters of All Time (any type of character)

Please do not post your answers in this thread. Just PM them to me. I will tabulate the votes and assemble them by most votes.

I would love to have all of you participate. Please go to:

http://s15.zetaboards.com/SoapsWeb/index/

The registration process is very simple. Just join up. You don't have to stay a member if you don't want to. I don't try to steal members from other sites. Mine is more of a history site anyway. I don't do the spoilers and stuff anymore. Just keep a record of the history of soaps and the like. But anyway just register and PM me the choices. I need to keep up with them over there so I will have it all in one place and not on 2 different boards.

Thanks, Steve

Since I am not getting much response on this the other way - just go ahead and put your answers in here. I wanted to keep the answers secretive until the winners were announced.

But go ahead and put them here. I will do the same on the other boards participating in this too.

ONE CHANGE:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ALL YOUR ANSWERS FROM ONE SHOW PLEASE LIMIT THEM TO JUST 5 ANSWERS. I WANT THIS LIST TO BE BALANCED AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. I HAVE RECEIVED A FEW WHO LISTED ONLY ONE SHOW AND THEN PUT 20 OF EACH FROM THE SAME SHOW. IT CREATED SOME PRETTY INTERESTING ANSWERS IN SOME OF THE CATEGORIES.

If you list 20 all from one show I will just count the first 5 in that category.

If any of you would like to be included - just leave your answers in each of the categories below. I will annouce the winners on my site - the last week of July.

Here are my answers (in alphabetical order):

Shows:

All My Children, Another World, As The World Turns, Days of Our Lives, The Doctors, The Edge of Night, From These Roots, General Hospital, Guiding Light, Love of Life, Loving, One Life To Live, Ryan's Hope, Santa Barbara, Search For Tomorrow, Secret Storm, Somerset, Texas, Where The Heart Is, Young & the Restless

Best Daytime Actors:

Anthony Geary, Charles Keating, Christopher Bernau, David Canary, Douglas Watson, George Reinholt, Henderson Forsythe, James Mitchell, Jed Allan, Joel Crothers, Jordan Clarke, Joseph Gallison, Justin Deas, Larry Bryggman, Larry Haines, Michael E. Knight, Michael Zaslow, Nicolas Coster, Peter Bergman, Sheppard Strudwick, Stephen Schnetzer

Best Daytime Actresses:

Beverlee McKinsey, Constance Ford, Denise Alexander, Eileen Fulton, elizabeth Hubbard, Emily MacLaughlin, Erika Slezak, Jane Elliot, Jeanne Cooper, Joan Copeland, Judith Light, Kim Zimmer, Leslie Charleson, Mary Fickett, Mary Stuart, Meg Mundy, Robin Strasser, Rosemary Prinz, Ruth Warrick, Tudi Wiggins, & Victoria Wyndham

Best Daytime Couples

Adam & Nicole (EON); Bo & Hope (Days); Bruce & Vanessa (LOL); Cruz & Eden (SB); Doug & Julie (Days); Holden & Lily (ATWT); Jeff & Penny (ATWT); Josh & Reva (GL); Luke & Laura (GH); Mac & Rachel (AW); Michael & Leslie (GL); Nick & Alteha (Doc); Phil & Tara (AMC); Skye & Raven (EON); Snapper & Chris (Y&R); Steve & Alice (AW); Steve & Audrey (GH); Steve & Betsy (ATWT); Steve & Carolee (Doc); Tad & Dixie (AMC); Tony & Pat (OLTL); Travis & Liza (SFT)

Best Daytime Writers:

Agnes Nixon, Bridget & Jerome Dobson, Claire Labine, Douglas Marland, Eileen & Robert Mason Pollack, Elizabeth Levin, Frank & Doris Hursley, Gordon Russell, Harding Lemay, Henry Slesar, Irna Phillips, Irving Vendig, Labine & Mayer, Margaret DePriest, Orin Tovrov, Pat Falken Smith, Sam Hall, Tom King, William J. Bell, Wisner Washam

Best Daytime Producers:

Allen Potter, Betty Corday, Dan Curtis, David Shaughnessy, Doris Quinlan, Erwin Nicholson, Gloria Monty, H. Wesley Kenney (only producer to be nominated for Best Series for ever show he worked on), Jacqueline Babbin, James Young, Jill Farren Phelps, John Conboy, Jorn Winther, Joseph Stuart, Lucy Ferri Rittenberg, Mary Ellis Bunim, Paul Rauch, Robert Calhoun, Roy Winsor, Ted Corday, Wendy Riche

Best Daytime Misc. Personnel of All Time (set designers, hairstylists, casting directors, etc.)

Betty Rea (casting); David Kurtz (music); David Pressman (director); Domenic Messinger (music); Gloria Monty (director); Ira Cirker (director); Jack Allocco (music); Joseph Behar (director); Julie Madison (casting); Larry Auerbach (director); Mark Teschner (casting); Marnie Saitta (casting); Marty Davich (music); Mary Jo Slater (casting); Mike Dobson (music); Norman Hall (director); Peter Levin (director); Sy Tosmahoff (sets); Ted Corday (director); Victor Paganuzzi (sets)

Best Daytime Villians/Villianesses

Andrea Whiting (SFT), Ben Harper (LOL), Ben Travis (EON), Carl Hutchins (AW), Cecile de Poulignac (AW), Claire Bannister (YDM), Delia Coleridge (RH); Dorian Lord (OLTL); Erica Kane (AMC); Iris Carrington (AW); Janice Frame (AW); John Dixon (ATWT); Lisa Hughes (ATWT); Liz Matthews (AW); Meg Harper (LOL); Mona Croft (Doc); Phil Brewer (GH); Phoebe Wallingford (AMC); Rachel Davis (AW); Roger Thorpe (GL); Tracy Quartermain (GH)

Best Heroes & Heroines

Adam Drake (EON); Alice Matthews (AW); Amy Ames (SS); Bo Brady (Days); Bruce Sterling (LOL); Cruz Castillo (SB); Dixie Martin (AMC); Joanne Barron (SFT); John Black (Days); Jessie Brewer (GH); Julian Cannell (Som); Laura Webber (GH); Luke Spencer (GH); Margo Hughes (ATWT); Mary Ryan (RH); Nancy Pollack Karr (EON); Nicole Travis (EON); Penny Hughes (ATWT); Steve Frame (AW); Susan Martin (Days); Vanessa Sterling (LOL)

Best Matriarchs/Patriarchs

Ada Hobson (AW); Alice Horton (Days); Bert Bauer (GL); Claire Lowell (ATWT); Geraldine Whitney (EON); Jo Tourneur (SFT); Judge Lowell (ATWT); Kate Martin (AMC); Kay Chancellor (Y&R); Liz Matthews (AW); Mac Cory (AW); Maeve Ryan (RH); Mary Matthews (AW); Myra Murdoch (AMC); Nancy Hughes (ATWT); Pa Hughes (ATWT); Papa Bauer (GL); Peter Ames (SS); Stu Bergman (SFT); Tom Horton (Days); Winston Grimsley (EON)

Best Psycho Characters of All Time

Allison Perkins (OLTL); Alma Rudder (AW); Andre DiMera (Days); Annie Dutton (GL); Anthony Zacchara (GH); Billy Clyde Tuggle (AMC); Faison (GH); Heather Webber (GH); Jan Spears (Days); Janet Green (AMC); Julia Snyder (ATWT); Justine (AW); Kit Vested (GL); Kristen Blake (Days); Margaret Cochran (OLTL); Mitch Laurence (OLTL); Olivia St. John (GH); Ray Gardner (AMC); Sheila Carter (Y&R/B&B); Vanessa Bennett (AMC)

Best Daytime Characters (overall)

Adam Drake (EON); Barnabas Collins (DS); Ben Harper (LOL); Cass Winthrop (AW); Cecile de Poulignac (AW); Delia Reid (RH); Iris Carrington Wheeler (AW); Joanne Gardner Barron (SFT); Julian Hathaway (WTHI); Katherine Chancellor (Y&R); Lisa Miller Hughes (ATWT); Luke Spencer (GH); Nola Dancy (Doctors); Opal Gardner (AMC); Phoebe Tyler Wallingford (AMC); Rachel Davis (AW); Reva Shayne (GL); Roger Thorpe (GL); Steve Frame (AW); Tad Martin (AMC); Todd Manning (OLTL)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow. There are so many talented people that have graced the daytime genre, and still do. Probably too many to list, but...

Irma Phillips, Agnes Nixon, Bill Bell, Doug Marland, Gloria Monty, Harding Lemay, and can i pray Charles Pratt, Jr's upcoming run at AMC... ;)

Susan Lucci, Tony Geary and Genie Francis, Jacqueline Courtney/George Reinholt/Robin Strasser, Erika Slezak, Susan Flannery, Kim Zimmer and Robert Newman, Beverlee Mckinsey, Vicky Wyndham, Linda Dano, Tom Eplin and Jensen Buchanan, Deidre Hall, Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso, Mary Stuart, Eileen Fulton, Melody Thomas Scott, Jeanne Cooper, Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams, Michael Knight, Catherine Hickland, Victoria Rowell, Kristoff St. John, Andrea Evans, Judi Evans and Vincent Irizarry and many, many, many more. These are just some of the actors that have become synonymous with daytime.

We shouldn't forget the casting directors whom brought us such dynamite talent as Demi Moore, Anne Heche, Meg Ryan, Julianne Moore, Morgan Freeman, Ving Rhames, Ryan Phillippe, and even Brad Pitt appeared on Another World for a couple days very early in his career. If it weren't for the casting directors finding the right people our shows would be dead in the water!

Archived