ALL : Soap Opera History Books

• Members

Eric, if you ever want to put those on SoapsWEB - just let me know.

I have not read any of the AMC ones ever. I don't even see them that often for sale on Ebay. The Another World ones are all over Ebay all the time - along with some SFT ones from the 60's.

I want The Doctors ones that show up on Ebay from time to time, but finances have been tight of late.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read one for Y&R in the late 70s, I think. The story was from the early romance of Lorie Brooks and Lance Prentiss, and the interference by his mama Vanessa.

Because I was a faithful viewer, the book really p*ssed me off. First, it WAS a romance novel...and as a young guy I had NO interest in that. Second, it was NOT faithful to the story. Scenes and dialog that weren't real happened.

So, I never picked up any others.

• Members

I am loving the ones that OBK is posting over at SoapsWEB right now. They don't seem like romance novels at all. They may be from a different series. There were the ones that were more romance novels and then there were the Soaps & Serials that although weren't totally faithful to the story are close.

OBK just previewed the GL one and it is going to deal with Bill Bauer's death and sounds good so far.

The ATWT one has 4 chapters posted so far and it has dealt with the early stories for Edith, Penny, and Ellen. It is really neat that the first lines of the show were spoken by Nancy Hughes and the first lines in the book are about Nancy Hughes.

• Members

A 1986 SOD features an ad for 'Soaps & Serials'.

"Now all the intrigue,romance ,emotion of your favorite TV dramas are captured in novels every month".

It stated that all the srories are being told from the beginning,from the actual TV scripts.

The titles shown in the ad are

As The World Turns 'Magic of Love'.

Another World 'Let's Love Again'.

Capitol 'Unspoken Desires'

Days of Our Lives 'Love's Shattered Dreams'

Secets of 'Knots Landing'

Guiding Light,dallas and Young & Restless are featured also,but the actual titles aren't visible.

• Members

I pulled out the three AMC "romance novels" from 1980 I have. They'r einteresting cuz they have intros by Agnes Nixon and say in the names "Agnes Nixon's All My Children". The actual writer is Rosemarie Santini who has a website http://rosemariesantini.com/index.htm and a well reveiwed recent book but doesn't mention them in her bio. The first vol is Tara and Philip and says on the back "Spans the years 1970-72 in the saga that has thrilled millions". Vol two spans the years 72-74 and is called Erica, and vol 3 and the last one, The Young Lovers, spans 74-76.

• Members

LGuardia's texts with the Dobson's is about as much as I've read. In All Her Children they talk about taking over (her) mom's show and wanting to have a new soap while stifll wanting to update one--but very briefly

I always wondered how much of GH and their other shows (flops) the Hursley's actually played a part. Dr Steve from GH was on OLTL for 5 weeks when it premiered... But that was prob Agnes being generous ;)

• Members

The Hursley's were very respected writers. Their tenure at SFT although marked with some battles with Mary Stuart is very highly regarded. It was under them that Primetime took note of the show and Mary STuart snuck in the primetime categories as a nominee for Best Actress.

The Hursley's came out of a respected career in radio. They got top billing on Search For Tomorrow even over Mary Stuart which had never happened.

They were very instrumental in the early success of GH staying with the show from 1963 to 1975. With them and James Young who was there either all that time or most of it GH did very well. It was the only ABC show to maintain in the top 3 and the first ABC soap to be successful.

They were wonderful in the same sense that Agnes Nixon was to blend comedy in with the midst of drama. Lucille Wall was super at this as were Shelby Hiatt and Ray Girardin - of course they were the delivery but the stuff was written by the Hursley's.

Young and the Hursley's were also very instrumental in stealing Days top actress Denise Alexander - even though they very much mishandled it. Lesley kind of wandered and bounced around from 1973 to 1975 and ABC was even afraid they would lose Alexander at the end of her contract.

I'm not sure what flops you are referring to Eric (LOL) but they only created one other show in daytime TV. And that was Bright Promise and it lasted 3 years.

On TV they only worked on 3 soaps. They were hired for SFT in about 1956 and stayed until 1962. They created GH and let the Ferro's initially write it and then took over in 1963 and stayed until they retired in 1975. In 1969 they created Bright Promise and worked with Gloria Monty on the show.

The Hursley's were instrumental in bringing social issues to daytime too. Agnes Nixon was the first with Bert's uterine cancer story. But the Hursley's were good at it too. They had Meg Baldwin's breast cancer story. They did one of the first really good stories on alcoholism. And they wrote one of the first really daring stories when they had Audrey get pregnant by artificial insemination.

They kept a medical consultant on staff full time just like The Doctors did then.

• Members

Here is a link to their archive of papers that is available. I have so wanted to pay for access but haven't had the money yet.

http://rmoa.unm.edu/docviewer.php?docId=wyu-ah02937.xml

They left behind a lot of stuff. I would really love to see the scripts for American Women. I have always heard that show was a very good short-lived radio program made during WWII. They created it.

Archived