ALL : Soap Opera History Books

• Members

Since I discovered I knew I didn't have the money yet so I ahven't looked. A lot of their stuff they inventory online but you actually have to go to the location to view it. I have not checked.

For the GH fan those papers are a gold mine. They saved everything from the creation of the show it seems. As a soap historian I would die to see them. LOL

Of course I would die to own the Paul Denis papers that are selling on Ebay for the last few months. They are selling off everything that was in that man's collection but they are going so high or the bids are at least starting out high.

He owned so much official corresponsdance from the networks to the soap studios. I would love to own some of it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just go to ebay.com and in search type in soap opera. That is how I found them. I didn't even know they were selling them. They have been putting various things up over the last 2 to 3 months as they go through his papers.

They sold last month original correpsondance about actresses on The Secret Storm as well as original ABC publicity photos complete with the info printed on the back for AMC.

They have had tons of stuff already.

You just kind of have to weed down through there and they will come up. They will explain what it is and let you see a brief photo. And tell that it comes from the Paul Denis collection.

The main seller store is letusentertainu - http://stores.ebay.com/letusentertainu

But there is another. I just looked and it seems most of the stuff they have listed right is old clippings from the magazines he published and a lot of his primetime stuff.

Look at this page - which is just a search with his name:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_from...s&_osacat=0

• Members

University of Syracuse has a collection of papers from Ralph Ellis

The Ralph Ellis Search for Tomorrow Collection consists of material from Ralph Ellis' work on the serial Search for Tomorrow during the 1970s. The collection is divided into five series. Story projections contains four projected plot outlines, each for six months to a year in advance. 1973 Writers Guild Award material consists of a precis. Accompanying material contains Ralph Ellis' own notes on the collection. These three series are quite small.

The majority of the collection consists of breakdowns and scripts. Breakdowns contains 92 weekly outlines of plot developments. Studio and draft scripts contains 587 scripts for episodes of the series; the majority are studio scripts, some are drafts, and for a few episodes both studio and draft scripts are present. Corresponding four-digit episode numbers are provided for all breakdowns and scripts.

• Members

Had a little extra money this week so bought 3 new books. Got them really cheap off Amazon. Waiting for them to come in.

I finally got All Her Children (for 72 cents at that)

I also bought 2 others that I have never heard of.

For The Love of Soaps

and

The Soap Opera Book which is supposed to be filled with photos.

I will eventually be putting a lot of stuff from them up at SoapsWEB as I get the time.

Right now trying to get my collection of old 1970's magazines scanned and put up right now. Working on the January 1971 edition of Daytime TV right now. Got about half of it scanned and up already.

• Members

Speaks on their time writing for radio:

The Frank and Doris Hursley Papers(from the American Heritage Center University of Wyoming Summer 1998 Heritage Highlights)

Women’s roles greatly expanded during World War II. Women worked in factories, performed volunteer work for the Red Cross and other organizations, and served in various military capacities. The Frank and Doris Hursley papers at the American Heritage Center provides a comprehensive look at the many roles of women during the war.

From August 2, 1943, to June 16, 1944, the Hursleys wrote a series titled American Women which aired on CBS radio. The husband and wife team wrote 273 fifteen-minute scripts for this series which were fictionalized accounts of women serving as Wacs and Waves, nurses, or volunteers for the USO. One episode portrayed a wife working up enough courage to tell her husband that she just found a job. She "was convinced that she and all other women must do their part to keep the factories and farms and home industries going for the boys who were fighting at the front. Maybe that way, they’d be able to come home sooner."

The Hursleys also wrote another radio series during the war titled Service to the Front. The fifty-seven half-hour scripts were broadcast by CBS from June 23, 1944, to August 7, 1945. Service to the Front included not only combat soldiers, but also those who contributed to the war effort in the Quartermaster Corps, Signal Corps, the Army Engineering Corps, and the Army Nurses. The shows dramatized the efforts of nurses performing their duties on the Anzio beachhead, the men who delivered mail to advance tanks in Normandy, and four chaplains who sacrificed their lives attempting to save the lives of troops on a sinking ship in February, 1943.

The last broadcast of Service to the Front occurred on August 7, 1945, the day after the Enola Gay dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. The show that day dramatized the onset of the nuclear age. "This greatest, this most awful power of all…greater than the lightning or the hurricane or the earthquake…is ours. In our human hands. For good or evil…it is our power. (PAUSE) But for the sweating, fighting soldiers who landed on the beaches of France and fought through the forests of Germany, but for the airmen who braved the flak and the Folke Wulffes…But for the Grace of God…that power might be in Nazi hands…"

http://digital.uwyo.edu/webarchive/ahc1999...mer98/part4.htm

Archived