What will happen to Days ratings now that Passions is gone?

• Members

I don't think Passions being gone will hurt Days unless a lot of Passion only fans tuned in to see the end of Days right before Passions came on.

As for the time slot change, Days has always been on against ATWT and OLTL here in Mississippi so who knows how the change in some markets will affect Days. I know that since I grew up watching OLTL, even though I watch Days, I watch it on SOAPnet because I've been watching OLTL at 1 pm all these years.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not Zucker, but Ben Silverman (one of the big guys, if that's his real name; I'm at work, lol) came to visit he cast and crew, welcome Ed Scott, etc. Published reports suggest NBC is changing its view, now that he Y&R crew have moved in. They haven't said they're going back on their word (and it would be up to Zuckass), but it's a good sign, especially since some reports suggest NBC also demanded the staffing changes.

• Members

i think that the timeslot change is going to hurt Days. It will not allow ATWT or OLTL to have a snowball of Passions viewers but at the same time it will cause many people who used to watch Days at 1pm to stop watching because they rather keep watching ATWT or OLTL at 2pm like they have done for decades or Passion fans who will turn off the tv.

• Members

Well considering that DAYS came on BEFORE PASSIONS in almost all part of the country, I don't see how PASSIONS cancellation will have a huge impact on DAYS.

In Washington state, DAYS is still at 1PM and has been for a long time. The show goes up against OLTL/ATWT. Its not like DAYS has been up against no other soap, in all markets DAYS faces competition (whereas some other soaps don't, likle Y&R for an example, in many markets they have no soap competition for 1/2 or all of the hour they are on.

I think DAYS may be hurt a bit in the markets that are choosing to move DAYS into PSNS old timeslot of 2PM. DAYS has traditionally always been at 1PM.

I guess we will see. PASSIONS fans, that are JUST PASSIONS fans may choose to give DAYS a chance since PSNS is now only available on sattelite and not everyone has DirectTV. Their familiarity with DAYS being on before PSNS may also be a reason why they choose IT over the other soaps on other networks.

I think many PSNS fans were also DAYS fans so I think they will still tune in for DAYS.

I don't know, DAYS may dip back into the 1.0's for the first few weeks, but it should bounce back...DAYS has NEVER relied on PASSIONS for ratings or leadin in most markets, so I don't think it will be a HUGE change for them.

• Members

Well, I found something really weird today while on my Facebook. It was an advertisement directed at the college age girl and Said "Girl, get all the Passions you need" and it is sponsored by ABC and promoting OLTL and GH (no AMC). I didn't think much of the Passions remark then I realized they capatlized Passions so I clicked on the video and they show someone watching TV and they say "girl I know you lost your Passions...." and the TV screen showed the word Passions written in the same why they use it on the show. I wish I could post the video but there is no link what not but if you have Facebook check it out. It should pop up in your News Feed. Clearly ABC believes there are viewers to be picked up.

• Members

Hmmm...that isn't surprising. ABC made a big push for NBC fans during the summer Olympics in 2004. I don't think the Passions fans are going to switch over to anything. Passions had alot of young fans and fans that loved the fact it was not a typical soap. The only show I can see getting Passions viewers is Days because it was Passions' companion but even they may not benefit because they aren't as campy as they once were.

• Members

Yep that's the case in my market...Y&R has no competition and is on at 11 a.m. and is the first soap to air that day. Then AMC comes on at 12 noon and its only competition is B&B that comes on at 12:30 p.m.

DAYS also has no competition in my market....they air at 3 p.m. and are the only soap to do so

• Members

And it didn't work....there goes another failed concept from Frons :lol:...I think the only things he has done right are Fun in the Sun, 2003 Daytime Emmys (I thought the 2006 one sucked since it was basically GL's night), and hiring McTavish for AMC in 2003 since she gave the show a shot in the arm and wrote well from 2003-2005...not for 2006 and she picked up speed in 2007 but was given the pink slip and it was time for her to go especially after rewriting Erica's abortion

• Members

Mitch, I'm ashamed to say it but I haven't watched days since "Passions" left NBC and I don't plan on doing it tomorrow either. It's not a boycott; and I love "Days." For one, I haven't had the time to get new DVD-RWs to record the show (I used those up on getting the COMPLETE LAST MONTH of "Passions" :wub:) But for another matter, "Passions" really did kick me out of the habit. It's my baby. Here, "Days" comes on AFTER "Passions" and it has always been that way. FOREVER, "Days" aired at 2 p.m. here. So without "Passions," it's hard to get into watching "Days." Don't get me wrong, Ed's production values alone WILL get me back to that show (not to mention the great acting and the wonder that is EJami -- this decade's Luke and Laura), but I could imagine that the loss of "Passions" will hurt NBC a little. I'm living it.

• Members

In my opinion, I don't think DAYS can rebound.

The fans that now watch NBC have been accustomed to the campy storytelling that NBC Daytime has served on foam plates for the past ten years(DAYS/BEACH/PASSIONS). I think those viewers who left, wanting to see some true moments and faster storytelling have since left and probably won't return, especially if its for the 10th "PLAN TO SAVE DAYS." They've been fed this BS before.

The viewers they did keep, the younger 18-49 or those who tuned in for the campy trainwreck aspect, won't want to stick around with DAYS, not so much because it's the only NBC Soap on the air, but because what they are used to with PASSIONS is gone and DAYS is trying to take itself seriously.

Couple THAT with the timeslot changes and we'll see DAYS's ratings drop, even if the show gets better. The fans of DAYS have been lied too and screwed over way too much.

And I think the big decision will be whether the NBC affiliates band together(like ABC's did with THE EDGE OF NIGHT) and force NBC/Corday/Sony to break the contract and drop the show altogether because of the lack of ad rates. EDGE had low ratings across the country, but the story I hear is that ABC was willing to stick with the show until a lot of affiliates told ABC they were planning on dropping the series in January 1985. Without the ad rates, ABC/PGP were forced to cancel the series.

I don't think the affiliates have a backup plan for midseason, but when DAYS underperforms, you better believe the affiliates are shopping around for syndicated programming to replace it. And if NBC has their way, they'll pitch another syndicated talk show to its affiliates. When the affiliates say, "We have no room for it." NBC will say..."Well, how's DAYS doing?"

DAYS is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. SONY would be stupid if it were relying on NBC to ride DAYS out past its 2009 contract or even to its 2009 contract. I'm just surprised no one in the media has even bothered to mention what happened to THE EDGE OF NIGHT in 1984. I may have the story wrong, I don't know.

DAYS's cancellation is a given. It's just the WHEN...

a. last airdate March 2009(the contract)

b. last airdate August 2009(start of the Olympics....when its over...beginning of the syndicated season)

Will be interesting to see.

Archived