Why are the Psychopaths so fun to watch on our tv?

• Members

Why are the psychopaths so fun to watch, that is my question?

You know people who are crazy in real life is both sad, chocking and very horrible. But on the soaps they are almost funniest to watch, what would any soap be without psychopaths like-

All My Children- Janet

As The World Turns- Barbara (when she where crazy)

Days of our Lives- Ali

Eastenders- Stella

Coronation Street- Richard, Tracy

General Hospital- Heather, Helena

One Life To Live- Niki, Margaret

Bold and the beautiful- Sheila, THE woman who pretended to be Angela Forrester, Morgan

Emmerdale- Steph

Passions-Norma

Guding Light- Carmen, Annie

Young and the Restless- Sheila, Mari Joe.

The Psychos are funny, but why are they so fun???????????????................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't find psycopaths in today's writing funny or interesting at all.

Back in the day, once revealed, a psycho would not last as long as they do now. It's ridiculous that "writers" are "writing" such depravity and shilling it as a story.

Psychos usually last up to 6 months... Now they are the center of many of the shows.

Pathetic!

ANDREA

• Members

I think it depends on who is playing the psycho and whether there's some decent writing behind his/her character. On EastEnders, Sophie Thompson is doing a bang-up job playing Stella. She creeps me out and I despise what she's doing to Ben, yet I can't help but watch her. And the woman who plays May (or played because I haven't seen her leave town yet), she's also keeping me glued with her madness. On the flipside, psychos can become boring really fast if the acting and writing isn't there. I think about the Alex North storyline on Days. He was a psycho but he also wasn't very interesting or intriguing either. I FF'd through all of his scenes, which I found repetitive.

• Members

Psychos are a big reason of why I watch soaps, as you can see with my name lol.

You want to get me into a soap? Show me a psychotic character and I'll fall in love! Granted, my heart is usually broken when the character is eventually written off (Margaret, Jan, Helena, etc.) but I'll always cherish the memories they give.

I love the vulnerability...the determination....what MAKES them crack. They're just amazing and entertaining. I wouldn't mind if EVERY soap had one all the time.

• Members

Psychopaths keep the story moving along. We can't watch soap characters be happy all of the time. Plus, they didn't automatically turn bad. They have feelings, motivations, and a past to reveal why they do what they do.

Look at what Sheila Carter did for B&B back in the 90's, she made this show because as far as she could go, there was no stopping her! Until 2002 came and she shoots someone but back in the day she would've gotten out of it!

Archived