DAYS: John in a coma through May?

• Members

I was just reading a few posts on the NBC board (and SoapCity), and word is that when Drake was back at Days taping about a week ago, it was only for two episodes and John was still in the coma. Drake thought it was the first stages of John coming out of the coma, but he was wrong... and he isn't scheduled to work anymore for at least the next five or six weeks.

So, if this is true (it was also reported at TBTSNBN), looks like John will remain in his coma through May Sweeps.

Days knows that this is becoming a really big issue with fans, and by them keeping John in the coma even longer, it sends a message to me that they're having huge money issues. They can't afford to pay their 'name on the marquee' actors.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is horrible news and makes no sense whatsoever.

Waking John up is an obvious meams to win back many of the disaffected viewers and get ratings up during the Sweeps period. If Corday/Sheffer can't even manage to accomodate Drake during the 4 week period that is most important in setting budget revenue, why keep him on contract at all?

• Members

What's even more astonishing is that the outlines for May Sweeps would have been written AFTER the ratings began to plunge. It's almost as though TPTB are trashing the ratings on purpose. This goes beyond Corday's usual incompetency. It's downright SUICIDAL management.

• Members

This makes it pretty clear the budget is bad. They know fans want John. They aren't stupid.

They probably just can't do it. It sucks but what can they do?

Having said that, this doesn't mean May is going to suck. Judi Evans is back and we know we have a big event withv the wedding and whatever happens there. Plus, we know the vets will be at the wedding so I am not going to let that diminish any hope I have that the balance will be better in the weeks to come and that things overall will get better.

Marlena, Bo, and Hope could still have lots of airtime. I think many could live with John in a coma if Marlena was getting airtime and if Bo and Hope were more active then they have been and I expect to start seeing that as April progresses into May. I am crossing my fingers I am right.

• Members

I'm even more convinced that the only hope Corday has for saving this show is to come out and address honestly what is going on with DAYS. Lack of vets, circular storylines AND fan dissatisfaction is killing this show right now. If John can't come out of his coma for budget reasons, say that! At least that will end the frustration every week when spoilers come out and John isn't mentioned. I've said it before...if the vets aren't being used because the show can't afford them, then come right out and call it NEW DAYS and be done with it. Fans can continue to watch or they will walk away, but at least the frustration will end.

• Members

Yeah, but even coming right out and addressing the issue head-on (apply directly to the forehead) won't make much of a difference... at least not in ratings. It might end viewer frustration for some of the internet fans, but the majority of general fans don't follow the behind-the-scenes information. For Corday to come right out and say "we can't afford to use your favorites," that's basically him telling everyone there's no reason to watch... your favorites won't be on anytime soon, anyway. And that certainly can't be good, either.

Days is just screwed, either way they go. As I said, it'll be gone in 2009. I wish I could be optimistic, but I know I'll just end up getting shot down and disappointed in the end. The genre is dying, Days is terminally ill... there's no way to rise above it anymore, IMO. They have no budget, which results in a lackluster show and lack of focus on veteran characters... which results in lower ratings... which results in a lower budget... which results in even lower ratings... which results in cancellation. It's sinking, and they're defeated. I've accepted it. I don't like it, but I've accepted it.

• Members

Kenny, I think you're right. DAYS is done in 2009. I've been holding out hope for a miracle, but the way things are going I don't see one happening. I know for myself I would just like to know what is going on so I can stop hoping and wishing for a return to the DAYS I have loved for so long. And I'm not knocking the cast we're seeing right now. I think talent-wise we have an amazing cast, it's just not DAYS any more. The family connections are gone. The romance is gone. We're seeing something new and different, and according to the ratings it's not being accepted by fans. Whatever is going on behind the scenes is creating a hole that's being dug deeper and deeper, and I don't know if Corday is going to be able to climb out of it this time. Part of me is still hoping for a miracle and that soon we will be seeing the vets, the stories will begin to move, we'll have drama and love and romance and adventure...but it's getting very difficult to sustain that hope. And this news is really depressing because I think John needs to come out of that coma story-wise, not just because of the fans. His presence is needed for the EJ story, for Steve's story, for Belle's story. Not to mention, his own story is unfinished.

• Members

I'm not sure of the particular's. So, I'd like someone to explain it to me like I'm a two year old. Doesn't Drake get paid regardless if he is on screen because of days guaranteed in his contract? If so, if I were him, I'd just make sure my money is deposited in my acco8unt each week and go about my business. From my understanding, I doubt it's truly a budgetary concern; they could always just write him for 2 or 3 days and not go over the max. They obviously don't want to feature him.

• Members

I am being realisitc. Just because John isn't on does not mean the others won't be.

We already know the vets are at Sami's wedding so that is a plus right there.

I am with Kenny though. Even if Days comes out and says it, it makes no difference. People don't care about the budget. They will just say to get rid of the young people and so on because they think that will help. They will just blame the show for everything as always. Days doesn't have to say anything. It's pretty clear what is going on now.

I think the ratings wouldn't be so low if things were happening that were notable. This has been a long peeriod of going in circles and nothing huge happening story-wise anywhere. I think once we get some twists and actual things happening you will see better ratinfgs, regardless if the big 4 are around or not. Let's remember last year J&M were off all summer and the show never dipped from 2.7. Bo and Hope were hardly featured for awhile during that period as well. All soaps have a balance issue and we know the vet situation on most shows and they manage to hold on to better numbers. Days is different but I still think it can manage at least a 2.5 without the big 4 on significantly.

Having said that, I still think wholeheartedly that we will see the vets much more as April goes along and May and the summer arrive. I am always optimistic but this is something I truly beleive. The show knows what it has to do and I am sure it knows it's budget situation better now then it did so adjustments can be made to work around it. I am confident we will see improvement. It wouldn't surprise though if we get a SOD cover with the Save Days headline in the weeks to come because Corday is going to come out sooner or later. He may not say much but he will come out.

• Members

I'm trying to be optimistic as well, but I'm also being realistic.

It only takes one episode for Caroline, Hope and Marlena to give Sami her gifts. I can see the vets being on one episode and then just fading away without any reason as to why they are no longer at the wedding. Caroline, Marlena and Hope will probably give Sami her gifts and then take their seats as the wedding begins. The wedding will probably stop with Sami and Roman at the back of the church. Then, the next day, Sami and Roman make their way down the aisle and alas, Caroline, Marlena, Hope, etc. are all gone and there are even more extras AKA Sami's "friends."

That's the realistic approach.

Anyway, sucks that John is still in a coma. You never know what you have until it's gone. People get on Drake all the time, but when John's not on, they realize tha he's needed after all.

• Members

Something funny i wanted to share..I started the post on here a few weeks ago with the news Drake was back...Well got that from the website we aren't supposed to mention on here..and i ended up getting banned..They banned me...so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!oh well SON is better anyways...

Archived