D.C. STATEHOOD

Marco Dane

• Members

I was just searching on Wikipedia for Washington D.C. and I stumbled on this article. Just read it for yourselves but with my opinon I think D.C. should become the 51ST State Of the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_statehood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Columbia

New Columbia is the name of the proposed U.S. state that would be created by the admission of Washington, D.C. into the United States as the 51st state according to legislation offered starting in the 98th Congress in 1983 and routinely re-introduced in succeeding Congresses. The Congressional legislation was triggered by the provisional D.C. Statehood constitution that Washington, D.C. voters adopted in November of 1982.

History of campaign for statehood

Although the proposal has yet to be approved by Congress—typically receiving little attention each term that it is presented—the name "New Columbia" remains part of the statehood movement in the District of Columbia. The proposal is considered the high-water mark in the long-running campaign for statehood.

The quest for statehood was endorsed in a local citywide initiative in 1980, following the 1978 proposal by the 95th Congress of the unsuccessful District of Columbia Voting Rights Amendment.

The campaign for statehood stalled after the District of Columbia Voting Rights Amendment failed in 1985 because it did not receive the required ratification by the legislatures of at least 38 of the 50 states within the required seven years of the amendment's submission by the 95th Congress.

It is unlikely that the District will be admitted to the Union as a state or granted Congressional representation during the tenure of the current Congress, as it historically votes for the Democratic Party, while both Houses of Congress are currently controlled by the Republican Party.

Now since Democrats control both Houses I think they should rethink there answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_statehood

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It should absolutely NOT be a state; the reason our federal government technically resides between the states of Virginia and Maryland was so no one could say it wasn't fair that so-and-so state got to say they had the capital of the country. It emphasizes the states being United, even if nothing else ever does anymore.

It should absolutely NOT be a state; the reason our federal government technically resides between the states of Virginia and Maryland was so no one could say it wasn't fair that so-and-so state got to say they had the capital of the country. It emphasizes the states being United, even if nothing else ever does anymore.

• Members

I agree with Keith, If we made DC a state it could cause some resentment. They would be able to claim to be the capital of the states, which could make it look like a more important state. The point of united states is for the states to be equal and if DC was to become a state, like i said in the sentence before, it could make that state seem more important.

If anything Puerto Rico should become the 51st state, but the people of PR will never vote to be a state because they are better off as a commonwealth than they would be as a state. As a Commonwealth they get better funding and more money from the US than they would if they were a state.

• Members

I think they should be able to vote in congressional elections and I also think that they should have some representation in both houses. Particularly since residents in the district still have to pay taxes (ya know? taxation without representation?).

However, I also agree that it should remain a federal district for all the reasons that people listed above.

Archived