Gilligan's Island 50th

DAMfan

• Members

Love classic TV on MeTV my guilty pleasure is Gilligan's Island had a crush on the Professor when I was young like other viewers I wondered if he was so smart & invent so many things why couldn't he fix the boat to get off the island - this Sep is GI 50th anniversary & only cast members still alive are Tina Louise (Ginger) & Dawn Wells (Mary Ann).

biggrin.pnglaugh.pngcool.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

“Gilligan's Island" was renewed for a fourth season, and "Gunsmoke" was cancelled because of its declining ratings, a high level CBS executive’s wife got upset that "Gunsmoke" was being cancelled. There wasn't enough room on the '67-'68 CBS schedule to re-add "Gunsmoke" so Gilligan's Island" was the show that got trimmed from the '67-68 CBS fall schedule. That explains why there wasn't any sort of "closure" episode for "Gilligan's Island" in the '66-'67 season finale, because it was a spur-of-the-moment cancellation after show producers were told before season end that the show was being renewed. In 1978 on NBC after 15 years on the island finally the castaways got off the island in the TV movie “Rescue from Gilligan's Island.”

• Members

John Williams who has composed music for Jaws, Star Wars, all Spielberg movies , and other movies. (Johnny Williams, as he was credited back then) did the music for 19 episodes of Gilligan's Island (1964-1965), not counting the unaired pilot episode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Gilligan's Island boat Minnow was named after Federal Communications Commission president Newton Minow whom GI creator Schwartz loathed. Minow is most famous for giving a speech in which he called television programming “a vast wasteland.” Minnow advocated for educational programming.

Archived