Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the mood of Moody River (no pun intended) worked well and was Pat Boone's most effective vocal. I find him repulsive as a person and boring and dated as a singer.

Roy Orbison songs tend to build and build, exquisitely.

I love this. It is a good contrast between Roy and smooth Emmylou.

• Members

Alphanguy's definately correct about Pat Boone's heavy metal interest being bizarre.

IMO, Boone had a pleasing voice, although I don't think he deserved to be as popular as he was.

One of my favorite party records is "Quarter to Three" by Gary "U.S." Bonds, which spent two weeks at number one: the weeks ended 6/26/61 & 7/3/61.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f3lkD1dCxRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Though he was born in Jacksonville, FL on 6/6/39, Gary Anderson grew up in Norfolk, VA. After serving as lead singer for an R&B vocal group called the Turks, Anderson pursued a solo career. His first hit, 1960's "New Orleans" (which peaked at #6) was initially released as being performed by "U.S. Bonds." (It is believed that Frank Guida--who was Anderson's producer--came up with this name in an attempt to attract patriotic Americans into buying Gary's records.) Yet, because many people incorrectly thought that "U.S. Bonds" was the name of an entire group, future pressings were given the Gary "U.S." Bonds billing.

Another of Guida's acts was an instrumental group known as the Church Street Five. One of their singles--"A Night With Daddy G"--flopped comercially. However, after Bonds wrote lyrics for the song, "Quarter to Three" was born. Three more top ten hits would soon follow for Gary: "School Is Out" (#5, 1961), "Dear Lady Twist" (#9, 1962), and "Twist, Twist Senora" (#9, 1962).

While Bonds' success dried up, he was an influence to the great Bruce Springsteen. (Before he became famous, Bruce himself would sing "Quarter to Three" during his concerts.) Springsteen wrote and produced a magnificent "retro" tune for Bonds called "This Little Girl," which became an unexpected hit, peaking at #11 in 1981. (IMO, that song deserved to go all the way to number one, as I enjoy it as much as "Quarter to Three.")

• Members

The most popular song of 1961 was "Tossin' and Turnin'" by Bobby Lewis, which spent seven weeks at number one: the weeks ended 7/10/61, 7/17/61, 7/24/61, 7/31/61, 8/7/61, 8/14/61, & 8/21/61.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3uEPDEJbJu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

R&B singer Bobby Lewis (born on February 17, 1933 in Indianapolis) was a resident of Detroit who had struggled to find success in his home town. Bobby befriended fellow musician Jackie Wilson, who suggested that Lewis might have better luck in New York City. After gaining experience at the Apollo Theater, Lewis signed with Beltone Records.

Bobby found his biggest success with "Tossin' and Turnin,'" a tune written by Ritchie Adams (who was the lead singer of the Fireflies, a white doo-wop group) and Beltone owner Joe Rene. "Tossin' and Turnin'" is noteworthy in the fact that two versions of the song seem to be commonplace on oldies compilations: one version begins with the words "I couldn't sleep at all last night," while the other contains a prelude whereby Lewis chants "baby...baby...you did something to me." (Because I feel that the prelude adds a lot to the song, it is that version which I selected to share with you.)

While "Tossin' and Turnin'" is a good record, I certainly don't consider it to be among the very best of what 1961 had to offer. (I believe that "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," "Blue Moon," "Runaway," "Travelin' Man," "Quarter to Three," and several other chart-toppers yet to come are far superior.) Despite the enormous popularity of "Tossin' and Turnin,'" Lewis turned out to be a two-hit wonder: his only other top 40 entry was "One Track Mind," which peaked at #9 later in 1961.

• Members

Even before I got into oldies music, I recall "Tossin' and Turnin'" being used in a commercial (for either a cough/cold medication or for sleeping pills).

That's a great observation concerning the similarities between "Tossin' and Turnin'" and "Splish Splash." Surprisingly, that never before crossed my mind.

Joe Dowell scored a part-English/part-German #1 hit with "Wooden Heart (Muss I Denn)," which held the top spot for one week: the week ended 8/28/61.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eNNwqm-joJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Wooden Heart (Muss I Denn)" was based upon a German folk tune titled "Muss I Denn zum Staedele Hinaus." The version of the song that is best known actually belongs to Elvis Presley, who recorded it for his 1960 movie "G.I. Blues." In Britain, Elvis' incarnation of the song spent six weeks at number one. Yet, for whatever reason, Presley's "Wooden Heart" wasn't released until 1964 in the United States.

Joe Dowell (born 1/23/40) grew up in Bloomington, IL but recorded "Wooden Heart" in Nashville. Although he did not speak German, Dowell was able to train himself (with some assistance from Eddie Wilson) to sing those portions of the song. On his version of "Wooden Heart," Joe was aided by musician Ray Stevens (who would score two number one hits of his own in the 70s), who served as organist during the recording session. Sadly, Dowell would be dropped from his label (Smash Records) after just two disappointing follow-ups: "The Bridge of Love" (which peaked at #50) and "Little Red Rented Rowboat" (#23). He was fortunate enough to find later success as a writer of radio commercial jingles and as a bank spokesman.

If anybody is keeping count, "Wooden Heart" is the 100th chart-topper profiled in this thread thus far. (Please note that the double-sided hit, "Don't Be Cruel"/"Hound Dog" is counted as just one song here.)

• Members

I had only heard the Elvis version for a long time as well. You certainly NEVER hear it on radio today. Heck, I didn't hear it on radio in the 70's. It's pretty rare that a #1 is totally forgotten by radio, but this is certainly one of them. Nana Mouskouri recorded a version of this in 1979 with completely different English lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJqfgin1d4c

• Members

Now I wanted to give mention to a song that although never made it to number one... I felt was the best song of 1961. Adam Wade was a fascinating person, working on the Polio research team as a lab assistant to Dr. Jonas Salk, then scoring THREE top 10 hits in 1961 (Which you never hear on radio) and then going on the be the first black game show host in 1974. He has a beautiful voice, and should have been a much bigger singing star than he was, and for someone to have three top tens in one year, to never hear these songs on radio is a travesty. This is the one that is my favorite:

The only reason I can think of for him not having greater success, is perhaps he sounded too much like Johnny Mathis.

• Members

I certainly agree that Elvis' version of "Wooden Heart" is superior to that of Joe Dowell's.

Alphanguy, you'd be surprised at just how many #1s are forgotten by oldies radio. I must say that it is sad that the talented Adam Wade is also completely ignored. (I am embarrassed to say this, but I had never even heard of him until now.)

Out of the songs that failed to make it to the top spot in 1961, my personal favorites are "Bristol Stomp" by the Dovells (#2), "I've Told Every Little Star" by Linda Scott (#3), "My True Story" by the Jive Five (#3), "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" by Curtis Lee (#7), and "Heart and Soul" by the Cleftones (#18).

"Wooden Heart (Muss I Denn)" was succeeded at #1 by "Michael" by The Highwaymen, which spent two weeks at the peak position: the weeks ended 9/4/61 & 9/11/61.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lgbsxganors" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

According to "The 'Billboard' Book of Number One Hits," "the song ['Michael'] was a traditional folk song, sung in the 19th century by slaves who lived on the islands off the coast of Georgia and travelled to work on the mainland each day by boat." Dave Fisher was the leader of the Highwaymen and wrote modern lyrics for the tune. It should be noted that "Michael" struggled initially, as it was released in January 1961 yet didn't enter the chart until July of that year.

The Highwaymen were a quintet that formed at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. This multitalented group--which sung in several foreign languages including Spanish, French, and Hebrew--signed with United Artists Records and scored that label's first chart-topper. Yet, the Highwaymen's success proved to be short-lived, as their only other top 40 hit was 1962's "Cottonfields" (which peaked at #13).

Though I can understand why many people liked "Michael," it is actually my least favorite #1 hit of 1961. Much of this has to do with the fact that I just don't care for folk music. (However, even when compared to another folk tune--"Tom Dooley" by the Kingston Trio--I found "Michael" to be a boring song.)

• Members

Yes, Max... and the fact you had never heard of Adam Wade, when he had 3 top 10 hits in one year says alot. I would have never heard of him had I not watched the show he hosted "Musical Chairs" in 1974-75. Some artists and songs seem to vanish into history, it's sad.

As for "Michael"... I don't mind the song at all, it is a bit repetetive ... but I think it would be better with voices that aren't so "blended", and the harmonies are too close. Here's an interesting version of it sung by The Supremes (they play nuns) on the Tarzan series in 1968. Their version don't sound that special until the second verse when Mary Wilson punches that low harmony... which is what I mean about the song sounding better in three part hamrony sung by contrasting voices. It starts at 1:50...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6lpurPsSAw

• Members

Alphanguy, I agree that the Supremes' version of "Michael" is an improvement.

The second Gerry Goffin/Carole King penned chart-topper was "Take Good Care of My Baby," performed to perfection by teen idol Bobby Vee. "Take Good Care of My Baby" was number one for three weeks: the weeks ended 9/18/61, 9/25/61, & 10/2/61.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IMa37C7AiHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert Velline was born on April 30, 1943. His idol was Buddy Holly, and Vee was so excited that Buddy was coming to perform in his (Vee's) home town of Fargo, ND as part of the 1959 "Winter Dance Party." Shortly before the concert was to take place, however, Holly perished in the 2/3/59 private plane crash that also took the lives of Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper.

Ironically, it was Holly's death that gave Vee his first big break, as he and his band--the Shadows--became one of the replacement artists at the "Winter Dance Party." (Sometime later, a piano player calling himself Elston Gunn briefly spent time as a member of the Shadows. While Gunn's real name is Robert Zimmerman, he is best known under another of his stage names: Bob Dylan.) Vee's first national hit came when he reached #6 in 1960 with a remake of the Clovers' doo-wop classic, "Devil or Angel" (which was a #3 R&B hit in 1956). He soon equaled that feat when "Rubber Ball" became a smash in early 1961.

Though "Take Good Care of My Baby" was Vee's only chart-topper, he followed with two more huge hits in the early-60s: "Run to Him" (#2, 1961) and "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" (#3, 1963). After "Be True to Yourself" (#34) became his 11th top 40 hit in the Summer of 1963, Bobby's career appeared to be over. Yet, he achieved a major comeback when "Come Back When You Grow Up" (a record quite different from his previous hits) peaked at #3 in 1967. Two more minor top 40 entries would come soon afterwards.

• Members

I like most of Bobby Vee's hits. "Come Back When You Grow Up" is a song I always loved. I actually like his OTHER hits much more than this, his only number one. He made a Scopitone for "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes", and it remains one of the best known and most popular of the Scopitones to ever be made.

• Members

I'd never even heard of a Scopitone. It looks like some type of beach party cheapie. I'm surprised MST3K never got into these.

Was this marketed to some type of adult audience? Between the woman with the legs akimbo on the bike, the bikini strap sliding down, the man peeking between the woman's legs...

Archived