Best and Worst of 1997 - Soap Opera News

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks. I never really knew where that story was going.

I have some of 98 on tape, as I loved a lot of 98, probably my favorite year from the time I started watching Y&R. I miss silly, fun little things like Nina and Lynn unwittingly going on a date with two gay men. I can't see the show having anything like that now. And Tricia was so good at both comedy and drama.

They could do anything with Nina -- and yet back then there was less propping and agendas, people seemed more natural. I remember when Jill told Nina she should lose weight to keep Ryan. I was offended on Nina's behalf, but it was in character for Jill, so I was not really worked up the way I might be now, where they would have Jill throw pies at her, only to fall over and break a hip, and then Chloe and Kevin would show up and point at them and laugh.

• Members

Nina & Jill's relationship was ALWAYS (even with Brenda Dickson as Jill) awesome & to Bill's credit (as well as Jess & Tricia) he never sacrificed either character to prop the other.

It also is a perfect example of how unnecessary it always was to retcon Chloe into Kate.

It was a horrible rewrite that further marginalized Mackenzie, made Katherine/Esther into idiots & exists solely to give Chloe constant unearned sympathy.

• Members

I meant to ask this earlier but I could never figure out if Cole and Nina ever did sleep together. I know they came dangerously close but when it was later mentioned I just assumed I must have missed the episodes where they did the actual deed, and from what I recall so did others. I guess Y&R really hadn't been known for retconning history back then aside from the SOARSing of Nick and Victoria. Heck in those early soap forums I'm still not sure what truly happened to Carl Williams on Y&R in 1990.

• Members

From what I remember, they decided not to sleep together. There wasn't any ambiguity. I might be wrong though. Then when it was time for Ryan/Tricia, the show said that they had slept together after all.

This was also around the time of that big retcon that John's secretary had lied to Dina that she and John were having an affair and that's why Dina left Genoa City and abandoned her kids. That story was dropped very quickly, even though they could have had some material out of it.

Archived