Best Movies of 2009: Awards Seasons

Toups

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bullock has had a nice resume of decent films, but she has also had some really bad ones too IMO.... Its nice to see her finally being able to showcase her dramatic talents. I saw The Blind Side and thought she was very good and brought something to the table she had never done before. I'd be ok with her winning, its still just a very odd concept to me haha.

• Members

^Agreed, I thought she was good in The Blind Side, but nothing really outstanding. But again, such a weak award season for films and performances, I'm not upset about her walking away with an Oscar.

The actress I was really impressed with this award season was Carey Mulligan in An Education, but no way in hell is she going to be winning with such a small film and so little buzz, and considering it's her first role as a lead actress, her odds aren't great to begin with. I'm just happy she's getting some of the major nominations this award season.

• Members

http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2010/01/24/hurt-locke-up-the-cove-win-producers-guild-awards/

Producer's Guild of America (PGA) WINNERS:

BEST PICTURE: The Hurt Locker

BEST DOCUMENTARY: The Cove

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Up

Wow, depending how well it does at the other Guild Awards and at the BAFTA's, The Hurt Locker could very well end up winning Best Picture at the Oscar's, and I think it deserves it more than Avatar...

• Members

The only thing that hurts The Hurt Locker is its very minuscule haul at the box office. I totally agree though, far superior film. Alot can be said what Kathryn Bigelow was able to achieve with The Hurt Locker on a fraction of the budget behind the largely CGI Avatar. The Hurt Locker was a great film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

WGA Awards

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

"The Hurt Locker," Written by Mark Boal; Summit Entertainment

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

"Up in the Air," Screenplay by Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner; Based upon the novel by Walter Kirn; Paramount Pictures

• Members

http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2010/02/21/bafta-winners-announced/

BAFTA Winners:

Film: The Hurt Locker

Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Actor: Colin Firth, A Single Man

Actress: Carey Mulligan, An Education

Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Supporting Actress: Mo’Nique, Precious

Original Screenplay: Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker

Adapted Screenplay: Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air

British Film: Fish Tank

Animated Film: Up

Film Not in the English Language: A Prophet

Editing: The Hurt Locker

Cinematography: The Hurt Locker

Production Design: Avatar

Hair & Makeup: The Young Victoria

Costume Design: The Young Victoria

Visual Effects: Avatar

Sound: The Hurt Locker

Music: Up

British Debut: Duncan Jones, Moon

Orange Rising Star: Kristen Stewart

Short Animation: Mother of Many

Short Film: I Do Air

• Members

I'm so happy for Kathryn Bigelow and The Hurt Locker, and the added dimension is that Bigelow is one of James Cameron's ex-wives. LOL!

She managed to put out a better film with almost no money, and she's making history as the first female director to win all these awards.

Next stop, the Academy Awards, where The Hurt Locker should dominate too.

Oh. and I'm glad Carey Mulligan at least got some recognition for her performance in An Education at the BAFTA's. Best female performance of the year, IMO.

• Members
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived