Madonna Definitive Greatest Hits Collection Out On September 29th

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's on tour right now in Eastern Europe, and that will wrap up in a month or so, the last date being in Israel.

I assume she'll be resting a bit before releasing Revolver as her last single with Warner Brother.

I assume her debut album with Live Nation will be out in late 2010 or in 2011 before she goes on tour yet again. Her usual gap tends to be 2-3 years between studio albums. Since Hard Candy was out last year, I expect a 2010 or 2011 release date for the next album.

• Members

Alvin, didn't the press release say Madonna hand picked the tracks on this album, or am I reading it wrong? Then why would it be Warner's decision? I got my track listing from a blog site...I don't know where the listing originally came from. Your track listing is certianly better, it's almost ok... but not quite, almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. In this economy, a greatest hits compilation that is missing key hits will not sell as well as say... the Elton John double set that came out a couple of years ago, which was a true hits anthology. "True Blue" is the biggest glaring omission here, it wasn't on Immaculate collection, either... does she hate that song, or what? it seems that Madonna has peppered this set with half of the songs being post-1995, when about 3/4 of her biggest hits happened before that. Another problem is that the consumer is not getting the most for their money. Those discs are not full. There is plenty of room for at least 6 more songs, and the biggest glaring omissions of some hits could easily be filled. It's like going to the grocery store to buy a 2 liter of coke, and to find the bottle only 75 percent full when you see it on the shelf.

• Members

Her manger Guy Oseasry asked the fans via Twitter for track selections, and they took the most popular requests that could fit. Warner has say because they're the ones distributing the album, own all the copyrights, and they're vested interests are in her back catalog. They have to keep sales for her back catalog consistent, so people don't just buy her compilation albums. Also, they might want to release more compilation albums of Madonna's songs in the future, since they own the rights and she's no longer with them.

Rescue Me might have intentionally been left off to keep catalog sales of The Immaculate Connection alive. And her big ballads are already on a ballads compilation, Something To Remember.

As for True Blue's omission, they're either saving it for a further compialtion album, or they simply feel the True Blue era of her career is represented enough on this compilation. I mean all the other singles from that album are included, and the title track is probably the least memourable of the singles, though it was a #3 hit for her in 1986 and wasn't on The Immaculate Collection.

The biggest thing for me is the DVD collection, since they have room to fit ALL of her videos on there. Will they omit stuff so they can release other DVD compilation sets? We'll see when that video listing comes out.

• Members

Well, Alvin, I don't see why the DVD would have to omit any of her videos. If it's a dual layer DVD, there should be plenty of space, I guess we'll find out. If the track listing on the CD set is calculated, then it's a stupid move, IMO... if you think of all the biggest acts of the last 40 years, there are greatest hits compilations on ALL of them, which include all the hits. Elton John, The Supremes, The Beach Boys, The Beatles. Using Twitter to ask the fans to vote was silly, IMO. The tried and true format of a singles anthology, in chronological order was what I was expecting, and what the people really want. But Madonna IS a singles oriented act... so who knows. I'm kind of surprised that you don't have issues with this track listing.

• Members

I do think some songs could have been added, but generally speaking, it does a good job of covering all the eras of her career. Barring Erotica of course, since only the title track from that album made the album, they could have included Deeper & Deeper.

Also, I wouldn't have put all 5 singles from her debut album on this compilation, that's a bit overkill in terms of representing that particular era of her career. Holiday is a signature song, but I would not have included Burning Up, since I don;t consider it a signature song.

Also, when you take into account she has more top 10 singles than any artist in history, with a record total of 37, you have to wonder why they didn't simply pick her 37 top ten US hits and just add two new tracks and call it a day. But Warner's interests are clearly in keeping her back catalog alive, and I guess Madonna and her people were more interested in representing most of the eras of her career in this compilation, even if it means omitting some stuff. Even with the stuff left off, all of her signature songs are still on this album.

I'm sure this is far from the last compilation album Warner has in store for her. With her leaving them, they're sure to issue loads more stuff from her back catalog.

Kind of like how there seems to be a new Michael Jackson compilation album and DVD set almost every damn year.

• Members

That was my question, too. But of course, there is still room for a few more after that. "Everybody" was not a huge hit, but was important in her career. I think she's afraid of being looked upon as an act who's biggest hits are BEHIND her, I think she wants to be seen as having equal relevance today s she did 20 years ago. And unfortunately, this makes for a compilation that many people arne't going to buy, especially in this economy. Universal had this problem with Olivia Newton John's catalog.... their greatest hits CD from the late 90's had all her hits EXCEPT the first one, "If Not For You", which was owned by festival records. It sold well... but the nexy compilation, "Gold" came out at a lower price point, and they managed to license "If Not For You", and it sold twice as many. Granted, Olivia hasn't had the vast volume of hits Madonna has had (17 top 20 hits) but it's still sizeable. It's just that virtually every other large act has the "tried and true" greatest hits compilation, except for Madonna

• 1 month later...

Archived