Soapnet Sunday Movie (12/7/08)

• Members

Robby Benson's Ice Castles is the SN Sunday movie.

Of course that melodramatic little hit gave us "Through the Eyes of Love", Victor & Nikki's theme song.

If Soapnet is going to show movies, I do feel THIS is the kind of movie they should show: Over the topic romantic, etc.

But, the fans for this movie would, for the most part, be in their 40s (people who were teen fangirls of Robby's in the 70s). Isn't that too old a demographic for Brian Frons?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also like this movie for the mere fact of it's other soap opera tie - Robby Benson is a soap opera veteran.

He was Bruce Carson on Search For Tomorrow - the young boy "adopted" by Joanne Vincente - the closest thing to a grown-up son she ever had. I can remember so often seeing Jo and Bruce play the guitar together.

I have no problem with the movies since they are making money for network or at least getting higher ratings on Sunday night than the other stuff they tried. But I do wish they would have something running during them like the old pop-up video stuff that would point out the soap opera ties or whatever. They could really be used to educate. I talked about that in my last editoral at SoapsWEB. They could really do these as a Turner Classic Movies does and really educate the public.

I also wish they would really do all they could to pull in some of the movies that have big soap opera ties like the Flamingo Road debut movie or the Bare Essence mini-series. Or even the old Flamingo Road movie or the original Peyton Place movies. Then there is The Woman on the Ledge that starred Josh Taylor, Colleen Zenk, Deidre Hall and Leslie Charleson. Then there was another NBC movie that starred Vicky Wyndham, Genie Francis and Marcy Walker. And a great one would be the movie (something with Cradle in the title) where many of the GL characters appeared. Or even the two Dark Shadows movies or the 2 Peyton Place movies that were produced years after the series went off the air - Murder in Peyton Place and Peyton Place: The Next Generation.

And one movie that I would love to see them air is one called Women in White that is never shown anymore. It starred Susan Flannery, Kathryn Harrold, Howard McGillin, Patty Duke, David Ackroyd and many others. It was a very soapy movie and some thought might have been picked up as a series but sadly wasn't. This was right after some of them had left daytime. Oh how I would love to see it again.

• Members

I love "Ice Castles" and I'm looking forward to watching it on Sunday! Cheesy as hell, but amazing.

ITA about the movies. I wouldn't want a pop-up type thing though, but a TCM-like thing, where there's an on-air personality who introduces the movie and gives little tidbits on the beginnings and endings of commercial breaks and at the end would be perfect. Many cable channels do things like that already. And if they were to air all the delicious mini-series with heavy soap overtones, that'd make it all the better. Honest to god, I don't see how it would be a downgrade from the stuff they currently air. Random late 80s/early 90s movies that came and went can't possibly be huge ratings grabbers. Give me some "Hollywood Wives," damn it!

I think you mean "The Cradle Will Fall." The one you mentioned, though, is pretty soapy too. Woman goes nuts when her husband commits suicide and so she decides to completely [!@#$%^&*] up the life of the woman who caused it to happen. I think I just may go find the VHS now lol

Archived