Dying Daytime? Dying Primetime!

YRBB

• Members

With reruns and even the latest episodes of being offered online, primetime and probably daytime will survive a long time. Ratings have declined since television began over 50 years ago, mainly because more and more viewing choices became available. Everyone is watching something different, large groups of people simply don't flock to the same shows in the numbers they used to.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All I know is, the longer I look at the ratings,and dissect what's wrong with the industry- the more depressed I get...It's like waking up everyday complaining about taxes, politics, global warming- does anyone else find the state of daytime depressing?....It's like those stages of grief:

denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

I feel like I've gone through most steps more than once, and pretty soon I'll find myself crying in public-oh wait...Maybe that's what I'm doing now?

• Members

Sorry Toups--you do a great job. I just disagree here--I think it's a comparison, simple as that--and will prob get back to that even with some mention of primetime shows. I was enjoying the discussion and I find a LOT less people look in the other folders. It's not so much about being hard to click on--it's about people not even checking.

• Members

I don't think anything you say disagrees with my statements about GA, which is verified in any article you ever see written about the show and it's ratings. Sure, other networks would take it, but that's only because the other shows are even more anemic that GA.

http://media.www.bsccomment.com/media/stor...s-3469158.shtml

How is this any different than Y&R's terrible ratings trends even as it remains #1? Correct me if I am wrong, successful hits don't experience 20% drops every year and still remain successes, right? DSM their ratings speak for itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Sexy_Money

1 "Pilot" September 26, 2007 Wednesday, 10:01 P.M. 7.4

2 "The Lions" October 3, 2007 Wednesday, 10:01 P.M. 6.7

3 "The Italian Banker" October 10, 2007 Wednesday, 10:01 P.M. 6.1

4 "The Chiavennasca" October 17, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 6.4

5 "The Bridge" October 24, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 6.1

6 "The Game" October 31, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 5.9

7 "The Wedding" November 14, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 5.7

8 "The Country House" November 21, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 4.0

9 "The Watch" November 28, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 5.0

10 "The Nutcracker" December 5, 2007 Wednesday, 10:02 P.M. 5.0

11 "The Birthday Present" October 1, 2008 Wednesday 10/9c 4.8

12 "The Family Lawyer" October 8, 2008 Wednesday 10/9c 4.1

13 "The Star Witness" October 22, 2008 Wednesday 10/9c 4.0

• Members

I think another problem is that the ratings system needs to be updated to include shows that are Tivo'd/DVR'd and shows that are downloaded online or through Itunes.

The top 3 TV episodes downloaded on Itunes right now are from the following shows:

1) The Office

2) Grey's Anatomy

3) Gossip Girl

Archived