General Hospital: Kids with Guns for Sweeps

• Members

GH is a vile disgusting piece of [!@#$%^&*] right now. Guza and his protege are not helping. Even though I like seeing LC and JE, the show and its storylines are soooooooooo depressing and dark. It's ridiculous. It's as if CSI got it's own daytime franchise named General Homicide.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, if the story could be told right, it would be a good story. However, I do not trust that they would tell a good, social issue story. But they are making Michael the Devil Spawn a cartoon and whomever thought this story up, well sucks

• Members

I hated that they killed off AJ and didnt want it to be Michael but once it was done, they should have just left it bc what happend afterwards with that whole doctor thing was just horrible. I wish GH had the balls to just stick with what they had written and moved on. Michael was already borderline evil, so him killing was only a matter of time anyway

• Members

Cheap I couldnt agree with you more. Here was a kid that was kidnapped by his father, even though Michael didn't really know he was his father. Sonny is the father that has raised him and Michael has been around violence all his life. It was clear that someone was going to kill AJ. If told correctly and written right (maybe even some PSA's too) then Michael killing AJ could have been a good story. He was just kidnapped, he was somewhat traumitized. Plus this is Michael we are talking about, he's as creepy as Will on GL. Mini mobster Michael killing someone is only a matter of time, and him killing AJ could have had so many ramifications for the Quartermaines, Sonny, Carly and Jason.

If 90210 could do it, so can GH

• Members

I agree with alot of what most are saying but I havent been watching alot in the last several months due to personal things going on in my life but anyway..I saw him with the gun the other day and he had dropped it and my first thought was either its gonna go off, go through the wall and hit morgan or something like that, then my second thought was he is going to hurt someone with it, either by accident or intentional..idk where they are going with this storyline but whatever it is, accidental shooting, intentional whatever...if its told right it could be an awesome story so we shall see, maybe he will accidental shoot Carly lol

• Members

Well, that's exactly what I wish Marlena had said. There's a difference between it being a fascinating concept and a horrific disaster in Guza's hands. She filtered her criticism of its potential through a disdain of the current writing team, not to mention an outdated perception of what soaps should be about in this day and age. At least not all of her readers are that sentimental.

• Members

Ironically, some of the best soap does come from a child dying -- the BJ heart transplant story, Zach's death on DOOL, etc. No one ever WANTS to see a child die, but it does happen. Here, the impact of the story is diluted at best - someone is dying at least every sweeps, if not every week.

How are they going to fit it in? Are they going to follow the ABC Daytime Go Red campaign PSA with a second one about kids and guns? Are they going to segway into Monica Q having a heart attack as the gun goes off? And just how many stories do they need a PSA to make them palatable to the audience?

• Members

One of the things I love about soaps is the vast opinions that the fans have when it comes to stories and feedback on columns.

I understand how we may not want children to die, but the fact is it happens on TV. In order for soaps to properly evolve, they need to move along with the times. I think the biggest problem is the way GH will handle the story. Not ALL stories need to have some kind of educational value to it (seeing as how primetime doesn't), but it does need to be written well.

Knowing GH, Michael will possibly shoot Morgan, Carly or Kate and not be punished for it. No repercussions from his actions, no reflection on Sonny & Carly's end to see how their decisions have impacted their children.

• Members

I don't feel any specific outrage to Michael buying a gun or a child possibly shooting someone else or him/herself. Sadly it does happen in real life, and the notion that certain things are not meant for daytime tv simply because it's daytime tv is pretty ridiculous to me.

However, I do agree that the downfall of this storyline will not be because Michael is dumb as rocks, it will be because--like his parents--nothing will happen to him after the "whatever" happens.

Archived