British Soap HOLLYOAKS is coming to America!

• Members

British Teen soap "Hollyoaks" will be airing on BBC America in a new shape of the channel. In comes on the back of the Hollyoaks late night spin offs which had been shown on the channel.

I love Hollyoaks, but sadly its overlooked a lot here because its teen appeal. That said he does have adults in and and have been at the centre of some good storylines over the years. If anyone has any questions more about the soap feel free to ask!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel like i only come here to promote British soaps - i hope i havent come across badly. I do watch As The World Turns when im free. On that note what happpened to that guy who dissapeard during the magic show on ATWT?

• Members

It doesnt say, i got the info from Media Guardian which you have to register to view, but here is a copy and paste...

"BBC America is to revamp its schedule to focus on contemporary UK programming including Hollyoaks, dropping older fare including Benny Hill and Keeping Up Appearances.

The channel will also introduce new programmes including the dramas Torchwood and Hotel Babylon, and BBC4 comedy Lead Balloon.

Channel 4's long-running teen soap Hollyoaks will also air for the first time on BBC America following the success of its late-night spin-offs on the channel.

BBC America, which is available in over 54m American homes via digital cable and satelitte, has seen its ratings grow in the first quarter of the year, up 7% in prime time and 9% across the day.

The channel is wholly owned by BBC Worldwide, with US cable TV broadcaster Discovery Communication selling its advertising as part of a joint venture.

BBC America's new schedule has been unveiled in advance of Discovery's "upfront" presentation of new shows to advertisers on Thursday."

Id be interested to know where they start airing them from. I'd start with the two episodes shown on Jan 2nd here and continue.

• Members

What's unusual is they purchased the Hollyoaks spninoff "In the City" but dropped it after a few weeks (which is a typical BBC America stunt. If it doesn't immediately have big ratings they give up completely without trying other times.)

Hopefully they'll drag it back out and try again. I liked what I saw however briefly.

• Members

I'm not sure exactly where BBC America will air them from, although im going with the start of 2007. Although 2006 was a very good year.

Here is video of opening and closing credits. I hate this new look/theme which came into effect from February...

Open : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbzgrQCChI

Close : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uP_7HqVKxU

• Members

I come bringing good news, this is from Digital Spy website...

Channel 4's flagship teen soap Hollyoaks has been bought by BBC America.

The show, which has no firm transmission date, will air weekday evenings at 10pm and sources suggest that the channel will pick up the series from The Dog explosion, which aired in the UK in September.

One revealed to Digital Spy: "There was a natural break in the storylines that aired in the UK in the last quarter of 2006, so it's looking likely that it'll pick it up from there."

Sean Marley, Managing Director of Hollyoaks' production company Lime Pictures, told DS: "I am delighted that BBC America have decided to buy Hollyoaks and am sure the American audience will love the show. It's a great move for Hollyoaks and for Lime Pictures."

Hollyoaks is one of a variety of shows bought by BBC America in its recent revamp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if they will start showing from the week leading up to the Pub explosion, or just after that. If this is the case, then you will be seeing these titles...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItlkJU3JuA

• Members

Yes I see that article lied. In the City didn't do well at all. BBC America was quick to pull the plug. But I noticed they still had a few episodes on BBC America On Demand possibly going beyond what actually aired. They may be gone by now. I didn't have time to try to watch them.

In the City had quite a bit of near nudity or nudity- male especially. It was also developing some gay plots when it got yanked off BBC America. I'm not sure what happened after it got dropped.

• Members

I found this article with a schedule. They are targeting different demos every night. Supernatural Saturday sounds very cool. Hope "Life On Mars" starts soon, I enjoyed that one...and some of the others that night sound good.

http://www.worldscreen.com/newscurrent.php...e=bbc040307.htm

I remember the old WWOR here in NYC used to show the old variety shows (I'm talking like 2 decades ago)...that's where I first saw Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Paul Hogan, Morecambe (sp?) and Wise. The only one I ever saw that continued somewhere after that period is Benny Hill. I was so crazy about Dave Allen that my mother and I went to see him when he did Broadway about, oh, 25 years ago. :)

Archived