Y&R takes place in the same soap universe as Another World

• Members

Yes he was a mediocre soap actor at best from clips I have seen, but a very bad writer.

He played Dr. Dick Grant on The Guiding Light from 1952 to 1962.

Then went to writing. He wrote for: The Guiding Light, The Edge of Night, Another World (which he almost led to cancellation), The Best of Everything, Return to Peyton Place and Capitol.

He was head writer of all except for GL I think, and I have never heard anyone praise anything about his writing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He was head writer of all except for GL I think, and I have never heard anyone praise anything about his writing.

Actually, Lipton was headwriter for GL during the interim period between Agnes Nixon and the Dobsons where there was a revolving door of writers (including Irna herself). I believe it was in the early 70s to put a date on it.

• Members

Throw Santa Barbara & Days into the mix. I remember an episode where the Capwells are trying to find some elusive businessman. It was stated that they'd searched everywhere "Including Bay City and Salem." SFT might squeeze in there, too. A few years back, Jack was at the airport and the showed the departure/arrival screen and it was loaded down with soap towns. I think one of them was Henderson.

It's Six Degrees, soap style!

So, let's analyze starting with #1 AW.

Direct connections to AW:

#2 - Somerset (spin-off)

#3 - Texas (spin-off)

#4 - Lovers & Friends/For Richer, For Poorer (Mac & Rachel visited FRFP and Austin & Amy moved to Bay City during the revamp of L&F to FRFP).

#5 - Guiding Light (Michael & Hope moved to AW for about a year; Cass appeared on GL; also GL often mentions Bay City as being a nearby town)

#6 - ATWT (Mitchell Dru moved to Bay City from Oakdale; Jake & Vicky moved from Bay City to Oakdale; Donna, Marley, Cass, Lila, & Cindy all visited Oakdale; also ATWT often mentions Bay City as being a nearby town)

#7 - The Brighter Day (Mitchell Dru moved to Oakdale from New Hope; also ATWT's Ellen Lowell went to Columbus, TBD's new setting, to give birth to Jimmy/Dan)

Now that ATWT/Y&R has crossed over (i.e. indirect connections)...

#8 - Y&R (ATWT's Alison visited Genoa City; Y&R's Michael visited Oakdale)

#9 - B&B (Y&R's sister show with several switches of characters)

Tangential connections...

#10 - Santa Barbara (occaisional and random mentions of Bay City in the 1980s)

#11 - Days of our Lives (occaisional and random mentions of Salem on SB in the 1980s, signifying that all 3 NBC soaps were in the same universe)

Now, imagine THIS... What if P&G had actually sold ABC the rights to the Felicia Gallant character when AW was cancelled, which is what ABC originally wanted as opposed to resurrecting Rae Cummings....

#12 - OLTL (where Felicia would have ended up)

#13 - GH; #14 - AMC; #15 - Loving, #16 - The City (all have crossed over with the other at varying times throughout the decades).

My head hurts now.

• Members

I'm pretty sure characters on PASSIONS have made references to Salem (I remember Tabitha mentioning the Salem Stalker very clearly). This is getting really convoluted, LoL...

Also, on DAYS, didn't Tek mention that Stefano had a place in Harmony or something? LOL

Archived