Chicago mayor calls Bears fans' behavior "deplorable"

FanSoAp07

• Members

Names will not be mentioned *ahem, ahem* but those who thought that New Orleans fans were "a little to obnoxious" for their liking should read this about how Bears fans were using Katrina to make fun of us.

All I have to say to them is I hope a devastating catastrophe never hits Chicago forcing everyone to leave their beloved city for months then coming back to nothing. Because that is EXACTLY what we had to put up with in New Orleans.

New Orleans Fans Furious With Bears Fan Behavior

Mayor Daley's Office Issues Remarks Condemning Some Bears' Fans Behavior

Get breaking news alerts

Poll

Do Bears fans owe New Orleans an apology?

(CBS) CHICAGO The Bears' win over the New Orleans Saints seems like old news now that talk has turned to the Super Bowl.

But as CBS 2's Mai Martinez reports, some Saints fans say Chicago owes the Big Easy a big apology, after they were mistreated in the Windy City.

Some Saints fans say they were taunted and verbally abused by Bears fans while they were in Chicago for last Sunday's game – to the point where they felt their safety was jeopardized.

In one instance, a woman being interviewed by a New Orleans TV reporter in front of Soldier Field was pushed out of the way by a man screaming, "Super Bowl, Super Bears."

New Orleanians say some Bears fans even used inappropriate references to Hurricane Katrina as part of their rants. Saints fans say that crossed a line that never should have been crossed.

Most notoriously was a sign displayed by a Bears fan that said, "Bears, Finishing What Katrina Started."

For a second day on Friday, lucky Bears season ticket holders who won a lottery lined up to by their Super Bowl tickets. The win over the Saints is still fresh in memories.

"They played terrific. They played terrific," said Jerry O'Drobinak. "Saints just weren't there that game."

But Sunday's game has been on some Saints fans' minds all week.

"(It's) very, very disappointing that there are people that will take something that's happened so bad to our city and try to turn it around over a football game," one woman said.

Another woman added, "A man lost his wife and child in Katrina and they were ragging him over that, and it was just terrible."

A Louisiana resident wrote to CBS 2: "I have visited your city many times but never will again. I pray to God no catastrophic event ever occurs that will force your entire city out of their homes."

Another viewer wrote, "You have some truly heartless, hateful fans," and asked how Chicagoans would have felt if the city had been ridiculed after the Chicago Fire of 1871.

Some Chicagoans feel issuing an apology is the right thing to do.

"I believe that was bit harsh and it probably hit them to their heart," said Lauren Topal. "I mean, Katrina was a huge deal, so Chicago fans shouldn't do that. It's not right."

"I think we should apologize," said Lee Denton. "That's going a little too far, especially after the disaster happened months ago – about a year and a half now – to go that far and make statements like that. You know, I love football, but I think they went a little too far."

But others say Saints fans are making something out of nothing.

"New Orleans fans sat by me. They were obnoxious as could be," said Bears fan Bill Axley. "As soon as the Bears' score went ahead, you didn't hear a word from them the rest of the game. Bears fans could not have treated them any nicer."

Added Don Rodgers, "We owe them nothing."

A representative of Mayor Richard M. Daley's office told a New Orleans television station: "This kind of unfortunate behavior by no means reflects Chicago. It's deplorable, and it should never have happened."

Mayor Daley is returning Friday from the Mayors' Conference in Washington, D.C. The mayor's office has not said whether an official apology will be released or if Mayor Daley will discuss the issue further on Friday.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived