Ruth Brown, Original Queen of R&B, dies at 78

R!ck

• Members

RUTH-BROWN.jpg

R&B star Ruth Brown died in Las Vegas following a stroke and heart attack.

By Steve Jones, USA TODAY

Years before Aretha Franklin was crowned Queen of Soul, Ruth Brown reigned as the Original Queen of R&B.

Brown, 78, who propelled Atlantic Records to prominence with her hitmaking run in the 1950s, died in Las Vegas Friday from complications following a stroke and heart attack. Brown, who was nicknamed "Miss Rhythm," in recent years became a tireless champion for royalty reform for herself and other early R&B artists.

With more than two dozen hits like Teardrops From My Eyes, 5-10-15 Hours, (Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean, Oh What a Dream and Mambo Baby between 1949 and 1961, Brown helped Atlantic Records become known as "The House that Ruth Built."

Changing tastes in the '60s brought a decline in her popularity, but after single-parenting her two sons and working as a Head Start teacher, she bounced back in the mid-70s as a jazz and blues artist. She starred in Allen Toussaint's off-Broadway musical Stagger Lee and portrayed Motormouth Maybelle in the film Hairspray.

Brown, whose 11-year royalty battle with Atlantic in the '70s and '80s, led to the establishment of the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, which today provides financial help to vintage R&B artists. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 and was also honored for her lifetime achievements by the R&B Foundation and the Blues Foundation.

"Ruth was one of the most important and beloved figures in modern music," says Bonnie Raitt. "You can hear her influence in everyone from Little Richard to Etta, Aretha, Janis and divas like Christina Aguilera today. She set the standard for sass, heartache and resilience in her life as well as her music … She taught me more than anyone about survival, heart and class. She was my dear friend and I will miss her terribly."

Brown, who was born in Portsmouth, Va., is survived by her two sons, Earl Swanson and Ron Jackson, three brothers and a sister. Funeral arrangements are pending and the R&B Foundation is planning a public memorial service and celebration of her career in New York City at a date to be announced later.

Brown never lost her love for her craft. She told USA TODAY nine years ago, "Music is the greatest healer in the world. Sometimes, I'm very tired when I go on stage. But … all in all, I'm fine. Every day I wake up and if my name is not in the obituary column, I go to work."

The same year, she released an album, the title of which best summed up her importance — R+B=Ruth Brown.

"It's like your multiplication table," she said proudly at the time. "No matter how you add it up. When you speak about R&B, you have to talk about Ruth Brown."

Ain't that the truth.

I saw her at the blues festival in 2003 and she was amazing for 75 years old. Rest in Peace Miss Brown, You'll definitly be missed my this fan.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived