Toxic Lovers: EP and HW Combo edition

• Members

Ann Marcus sowed the seeds of Chris' past in Vietnam. Shortly before Marcus left, Mary Anderson discovered that Chris was a Vietnam vet, but he refused to talk about what happened to him during the war. Marcus planned for Chris to have fathered a child during the war, and when she came to Salem, he would be forced to face his past. Marcus felt very strongly about the story. She was willing to write most anything that Corday and NBC wanted, but she was bored and burnt out and told them that she needed to write one story for which she was truly passionate and challenged. After the plot began onscreen, Betty Corday phoned Marcus and said it had to be truncated. Marcus refused. Corday gave her ultimatum: the story or her contract, and Marcus walked.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have always said that Hogan Sheffer did great in his first year or so at ATWT with Christoper Goutman but it seemed something in 2002 changed. I think it may have been time for a executive producer change in 2002 for ATWT and maybe Hogan's stories would have worked better.
Christopher Goutman and Jean Passassante should have never been a combination. It just ruined the show in the end. At least for me when I watched the show and notice a storyline not working; Hogan would go and try to fix the story but he also claimed a lot of network and P&G interference around 2002/2003.
When P&G did away with the executive in charge of production position and left it up to the EP's to deal with the network and them, that is when both ATWT and GL went down hill fast. At least with someone running interfernce between the two, you had a chance to keep the shows on track.
Ellen Wheeler/David Kriezman were and the worst combination for any show in history. Lets put two people who have never had expereience being a executive producer and headwriter in charge of the show and keep them in place until the end and wonder at the sametime why the ratings keep falling by millions.

• Members

Yet, somehow, she won a Best Show Emmy and he won a Best Writing Emmy. One of the great mysteries of life! LOL! I agree with you that those two were the worst combo ever (of any show that I have ever watched, at least). It's pretty obvious that nobody at P&G or CBS was watching that mess or cared about GL otherwise, those two would have been given the hook. I still have the bad memories etched into my brain - "Look! Dinah's setting up folding chairs in a field for a Spaulding Enterprises press conference!" "Look! It's Cassie's run down dilapidated farmhouse that looks like it was abandoned 20 years ago!" "Look! A church set with three pews!" "Look! Another scene that goes nowhere!" "Look! Another episode with no narrative!" "Look! Ricky Paul Goldin and Beth Ehlers running for their lives!"

Peapack never should have happened - at least not with Wheeler and Kriezman at the helm.

• Members

I think GL had been so gutted by many hands that Wheeler and Kriezman mostly just were there to do what they wanted and if the show went too far into the pit, it would be canceled. I thought a lot of their tenure was crap, and Jonathan alone helped convince me to stop watching until GL's last year. I don't know if I'd call them toxic, in that there were so many others I hated (I had a lot of anger over the Rauch/Labine period, McTavish/Laibson their last six months, Weston/Conboy for what they did to Ben), but I would call them hacks.

• Members

Thanks. I had only read about the Ox/EJ story and wondered if it was bad (the synopses didn't do much for me). I'm glad to hear it was better than EJ's early material, and had a lot of potential. I wish I'd seen some of that - I felt like the show ended in a bad place with Soapnet (I had enjoyed the soap within a soap story until it became about Barbara faking paralysis).

I think Labine said Mary Ryan Munisteri was the writer who most closely resembled her RH, so most of the changes must have been network mandate.

Archived