Golden voiced homeless man-true rags to riches story

dragonflies

• Members

Truly great story IMO:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/05/national/main7215846.shtml

(CBS/AP) A professional basketball team has offered an unspecified job to a homeless man with a golden radio voice. He is being sought by NFL Films for possible work, as well.

Ted Williams, whose deep baritone and plight have made him an online video sensation, was first contacted Wednesday by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Team spokesman Tad Carper said details are still being worked out on a possible position for Williams. Carper said any job could include working in Quicken Loans Arena, the NBA team's downtown arena. It is not yet known if Williams has accepted the team's offer.

Williams' compelling tale has also drawn interest from NFL Films, which has chronicled pro football for nearly 50 years and wants to contact Williams.

"It's that voice," said Kevin McLoughlin, director of post-production films for the NFL told The Associated Press. "When I heard him tell his story, I said, 'That's what we do. This guy can tell a story.' Somehow, some way, I need to get a demo with him."

Williams was spotted by the Columbus Dispatch newspaper standing near a highway exit ramp. In a video interview, Williams - holding a cardboard sign that asks motorists for help and says, "I'm an ex-radio announcer who has fallen on hard times" - explains in his smooth, deep voice that he grew up in New York and that he was drawn to radio at the age of 14.

The video prompted numerous offers of help from ordinary citizens and entertainment industry insiders. Reddit users set up a webpage and online fund for Williams. An anonymous donor offered $15,000 in salary for Williams to be hired at a local radio station, which also interviewed Williams and offered help.

Williams appeared exclusively on CBS' "The Early Show" Wednesday, telling co-anchors Erica Hill and Chris Wragge that he felt like a lottery winner just as much as the winners in Tuesday's near-record Mega Millions drawing.

"It's just sensational for one, numbing for another, overwhelming," he said. "I'm just so, so happy."

He said that he was headed back to Brooklyn, N.Y. - where he grew up - Wednesday for a reunion with his 92-year-old mother.

"I apologize. I'm getting a little emotional. I haven't seen my mom in a great deal of time. She doesn't believe it," he said. "One of my biggest prayers that I sent out was that she would live long enough for me to see me rebound or whatever, and I guess God kept her around and kept my pipes around to maybe just have one more shot that I would be able to say, 'Mom, I did do it.'"

TMZ reports that Williams was unable to board the flight because doesn't have ID after being homeless for four years.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived