OLTL: Florencia Lozano in The New York Times

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw the Equity audition notice for this some weeks back. I'd seen audition notices with her name in the past, before she made this latest return to OLTL. I think that's great that she's living the life a lot of the Golden era soap stars did. She mentioned the LAB theatre company where Phillip Seymour Hoffman directs a lot of stuff, Elizabeth Rodriguez who played Erica's cellmate Carmen is also affiliated with them, I'm sure she and FL have crossed paths several times outside of ABC.

• Members

Sounds like a really interesting play, and I wish I was in NY again so I could go see it! I wrote a dissertation for Poli Sci on Argentina's Dirty War and it was horrendous what the military junta did to their own people. They were hysterical with fear about "communism" everywhere and they just arrested anybody who might be "intellectual" or artistic or a student, because these people were seen as more likely to have leftist sympathies. The junta embraced fascism with their methods. And the way they tortured these people, man oh man. I won't go into details but suffice it to say that I read one witness's testimony involving a prisoner and a rat, and since then I have the odd recurring nightmare involving rats.

Perhaps one of the most poignant things I read was that Argentina, which is a football-mad country, hosted the 1978 World Cup and ended up winning the tournament. Prisoners were being held in an abandoned military school a block away from the football stadium, and they could hear the cheers and celebrations of the crowd. They were tied up and blindfolded (another torture) at all times, but some of the guards snuck in a radio so they could listen to the game. When Argentina won, the prisoners stomped their feet on the floor in happiness and cheered quietly behind their blindfolds. The guards cheered, too, and for a brief moment everybody was united by this feeling of pride. But the next day, things went right back to "normal" -- the tortures and hatred.

Learning about all this really affected me at the time, and I'm not Argentine, so I can only imagine how it was for Florencia through the prism of her own parents' anguish.

ALSO: Tea better come back to OLTL because she is just... gold. Diva gold.

Archived