DAYS: Too Many Love Triangles

• Members

WTF is going on with Days with some of the storylines involving nothing but love triangles?

I mean look at the storylines stories we had in the past few months and on air right now during Higley’s run on the show.

Nicole/EJ/Sami

Lucas/Chloe/Philip

?

?

?

?

Lucas/Sami/EJ

Kate/Tony/Anna

?

(The question marks means neither the storyline is about to happen soon or might happen in the future.)

Now I know that love triangles are supposed to be use for good drama, but this is ridiculous. I wondered what will be the next batch of love triangle storylines the writers will think of next? Nick/Stephanie/Max? Morgan/Bo/Hope? Dean/Kayla/Steve?

They’re writing also half of cast into triangles or quadruples while the rest are giving boring storylines such as “being green,” having a couple get married when they didn’t have a lot of airtime together under the new writing team, or a couple having marital problems when they were for the most part happy and didn’t have a major event that would make them consider having a divorce since his wife been held hostage.

Sure, some of storylines were leftover from Hogan’s team but the new team is making the characters and storylines way too unlikable and a mess for the show.

In closing, after watching DOOL and small bits of other soaps on tv in the pass couple of days, I have to asked the board a question; have soaps rely too much on romance and pairing someone with someone else instead of focusing on one or a group of character’s internal issues? I know that romance and couples in soaps is a iconic staple in the genre, but, after I watched DAYS and the other soaps from other networks from last week, I am officially burned out on romance in soaps.

I know that we always complain that daytime head writers are always writing in plot-driven format than character-driven but I don’t see anything wrong with a writer or his or her writer team using neither format because at the end of the day they will have to ask themselves after they end their storylines “was it all worth it?”

As a viewer, I want be able to enjoy and get to know the character’s psyche and actions on a daytime or primetime show before I can cheered or booed for a character to be Involved in a relationship. I have had it with writers who want to write half-way characters and storylines with plots such as rape, bombs, jumping into beds, green day, guns, and babies just to get two people together or kill a character off without doing a proper build up that leads to that point. Plot-driven storylines are not about plots after plots and short-cutting to another storylines, that’s hot-shotting. The plot-driven format should only be use to end a storyline or to determined what the character should do when an event happens in their life at which the story should cycle back in a character-driven format. Far too many daytime writers are getting away with just writing only the ending parts of a story and not writing beginning and middle parts the of a story the right way.

Soaps need to stop being so romantically dominated and get back to writing likeable characters that fans can cheer or boo for. A Drama is about maturely; not staying the same.

What do ya'll think?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived